What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (1 Viewer)

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
Maybe the “escaping” E is The Great Escape? And the car might be Roma, which has a car that’s difficult to maneuver in a garage. What’s the statue?

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
If the Fellini and Varda boxes are half as great as Ingmar Bergman's Cinema, we're in for a treat. Wong Kar-Wai won't be as encompassing, obviously, but after seeing In the Mood for Love, I'm definitely up for seeing the rest of his work.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
F2JOeHt.jpg

those of you with EYES cant see it, because they are wide shut, but i ant figure out the two tires, the other site says the Lee bust is a Bruce Lee box

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
They already did a Varda box so its probably just an upgrade of that. Felini's been something they've been teasing for a while since its the Centenary of his birth this year. As for Bruce Lee, I hope Criterion puts the same level of care and attention into it as they did with Police Story 1 and 2. Hell they might be able to swing something no other label has been able to do in the US and include Enter The Dragon via Warner.

Martin_Teller

Second Unit
Real Name
Martin Teller
Because that pun is sooooo awful even Criterion wouldn't try it. You ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Yes. It's a ridiculous way to stretch the clue. There would be a million better ways to hint at Eyes Wide Shut. Not to mention it breaks the consistent theme of box sets in the drawing.

Derrick King

Screenwriter
Does anyone think that a Fellini box set would include "Juliet of the Spirits"?
Yes. At the very least, I'd expect the box to include Il Bidone and Fellini's part of Spirits of the Dead, the existing Blu-ray titles: 8 1/2 (new 4K master), Amarcord (new 4K master), La dolce vita, Roma, & Satyricon and Blu-ray upgrades for the remaining in-print DVD only titles:La Strada, I vitelloni, Juliet of the Spirits, & And the Ship Sails On.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
don't take this stuff so serious folks, for the past few years we get the pictionary version of clues for possible upcoming releases, now occasionally Vinegar Syndrome is doing the same, cute for a while

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Why couldn’t they do an Oscar box set? They have enough Best Pictures that they could easily do one, and if they worked with the academy, it could be a very nice set.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I don’t think the current market would really support an exceedingly high priced collection of disparate films that already are available as standalone releases. Such a box set would probably also have a limited shelf life because not every Criterion product has a license in perpetuity. So they’d have to spend money to redesign packaging that they could only sell for a limited period, at a time when stores are moving away from stocking this kind of product and the public is moving away from buying it. It’s one thing for them to assemble a unified collection of films that don’t have prior releases, might not sell tremendously well on their own, and put them together in a discounted package to make the release viable (like the Dietrich set from last year). But I’m not sure that there’s a great market for them to throw a bunch of seemingly unrelated stuff together into a new box and move it. (And there’s certainly no budget, market or will to redo each disc to add new bonus content.) These days, studios only do bundled releases like that when they’re trying to burn off old stock that’s costing them more to store in warehouses than it would to deeply discount. And Criterion has managed to keep going in part by not devaluing their product and not producing so many copies that they’re forced to liquidate. Even when they do big 50% off sales, their list prices are so high that the sale just pushes the prices into the high end of normal for most other releases, which means they can still profit from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks