1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Blu-ray titles!

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Brandon Conway, May 7, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    They both came out the same year - Strangelove at the beginning of the year and Fail-Safe in the fall. Both are based on novels, but different ones. And weirdly, both films were released by the same studio.

Detour (1945) likes this.
  2. Jason_V

Jason_V Lead Actor

Jason
    It's been a long time since I've seen Fail-Safe, but I don't remember it being a satire of any kind. I remember it being a straight up drama. Dr. Strangelove is a satire/dark humor, so there's another difference. (Been a long time since I've seen either one, honestly, so my memory can be playing tricks on me.)

JohnMor likes this.
  3. Detour (1945)

Detour (1945) Stunt Coordinator

Steve
    Strangelove was released on January 29, 1964 and Fail Safe was first screened at the New York Film Festival on September 15, 1964.

A six month turnaround to produce a rip-off of another film seems a bit tight, but I suppose anything is possible.

Edit: I see @Worth answered the question already, and added both were from the same studio. I'd say question answered.

4. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Both were released by Columbia. I think Dr. Strangelove came out in January of 64 and Fail Safe in October of 64. Strangelove was based off of the novel Red Alert and Fail Safe based on the novel (what else) Fail Safe. I've read both. Apparently there was a law suit by Peter George (author of Red Alert) against the author of Fail Safe as they are very similar. The suit was settled out of court. Of course, Dr. Strangelove doesn't really follow the source material all that closely.

ahollis likes this.
  5. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    The tones of the two films couldn't be more different. Fail-Safe is a nightmare come true that many baby boomers feared from the time we were old enough to know what a bomb was. That final scene gave me bad dreams for days.

The two films share themes about the dangers of nuclear proliferation, but they go about their business is wildly different ways.

Craig S, JohnMor and skylark68 like this.
  6. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Fail Safe was based on a 1962 novel by the same name.

Sorry-I see that information was already posted.

7. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I booked them both to show at my boarding school. I was 15 at the time and film programmer at my school because I knew more than anybody else about films. Columbia Pictures allowed us to book 35mm prints after the first runs. This was in Puerto Rico, 1965. Fail Safe played well to an audience of 12-to 18-year old males. Dr. Strangelove, which had me falling off my seat from laughter, got me a severe beating from my fellow students. Those were the days...

Craig S and skylark68 like this.
  8. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    FAIL SAFE was made first, produced independently outside the studio system, based on the same novel, "Red Alert" as DR. STRANGELOVE.

While DR. STRANGELOVE was in production, or so I recall, Columbia bought FAIL SAFE promising to release it right away; but then held it back for almost a year until STRANGELOVE was finished and released.

The interesting things is, FAIL SAFE, though it's supposed to be serious, is actually a lot funnier unconsciously than DR. STRANGELOVE was on purpose. Also, it's a lot more urgent and believable. While DR. STRANGELOVE is a great film, its humor is very "Mad Magazine." Everything is so exaggerated, it's easier to dismiss.

FAIL SAFE, on the other hand, is riveting and impossible to ignore. It's really unfortunate that its message, as well as the passion and artistry that went into making it, was repressed so that DR. STRANGELOVE wouldn't have any competition. As I recall, FAIL SAFE was hardly released, with very little promotion.

For me, FAIL SAFE is much superior to DR. STRANGELOVE. And yes, I can't wait to see it again.

9. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Sorry but Eugene Burdick and Harvey Wheeler wrote the novel Fail Safe which the movie was based on. Fail Safe the move was not based on Red Alert. Mr Burdick also wrote the novel The Ugly American.

Peter George wrote Red Alert and also participated in the writing the screenplay.

lark144 likes this.
  10. lark144

lark144 Supporting Actor

mark gross
    Thank Goodness Allen, that you still have retained most of your memory (or at least, you realize you might be mistaken, and look it up.) Of course FAIL SAFE was based on the novel of the same name, which I read when it came out, but that was so long ago. Somehow RED ALERT was stuck in my brain. Fortunately, you're still around to help out. Do you agree with me that the Lumet film is superior to the Kubrick?

ahollis likes this.
  11. ahollis

ahollis Lead Actor
    Supporter

Allen
    Absolutly Fail Safe superior. I watched Dr Strangelove three weeks ago and was so taken on how it was like Fail Safe that I did read up on what both films were based on. I only have four week memory lol.

I looking forward for the blu-ray of Fail Safe.

12. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    I don't remember laughing.
    ---------------

RMajidi likes this.
  13. RMajidi

RMajidi Screenwriter

Ramin
    Purchased the Oz Blu-ray of Fail-Safe upon release some three years ago (there’s a thread by @atfree somewhere here about it). Profoundly affecting movie, and I’ve urged others to see it.

No need to run this and Dr Strangelove against one another. Both tell the same cautionary tale in vastly different and compelling ways.

Fail-Safe contains multiple riveting performances - the most gobsmacking eye-opener for me being Larry Hagman’s indelible turn.

The Oz Blu contains very little detail in the blacks. This is especially pronounced as much of the film is framed in dark, shadowy settings. Hoping that the anticipated Criterion addresses these.

14. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Screenwriter

Anthony
    I must look out for Fail Safe. The post-nuclear movie (and novel) which had the strongest effect on me back in those nervous days was Neville Shute's 'On the Beach' starring Gregory Peck, Ava Gardner, Tony Perkins and Fred Astaire. I still wake up sometimes thinking about how it would be to live through the last doomed days.

JohnMor likes this.
  15. MLamarre

MLamarre Second Unit

Matthew Lamarre
    Ken Russell's The Devils (1971) is now streaming on The Criterion Channel (It was added on October 1st). I don't know if this means that Criterion is one step closer to finally releasing it on disc but it's something. The runtime is listed as 108 minutes in case anyone is wondering.

16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    It also streamed on the defunct Filmstruck service.

17. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
  18. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    Nothing for me, except maybe Holiday.

Im disappointed PRINCE OF TIDES isn’t announced again. Is Barbara holding it up
    Again or going to cancel it all together?

19. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member
    Supporter

Doug
    PMF, JohnMor and Darby67 like this.
  20. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Definitely in for Fail Safe and probably Le Petit Soldat.