What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Roma is owned by Netflix, which means there's a good chance they're not interested in releasing it on disc at all.

Producers for Roma and The Other Side of the Wind have for all intents and purposes stated that Criterion will eventually be releasing these titles on home video. It's pretty strongly indicated that a limited deal has been reached between Netflix and Criterion to have Criterion release some of their more notable art house films on home video for the collector minded consumer. It's yet to be seen if any other films are part of this deal, though I'd wager The Ballad of Buster Scruggs is a good candidate, as is The Meyerowitz Stories (and maybe even Scorsese's The Irishman in a couple years).

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Never in Criterion's history has there not been any announcements made for the month. If this is indeed a first, it may be Criterion was unable to come to an agreement with the studios on what they had intended to announce. This is sad indeed.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
From Criterion Twitter:

We know you've been anxiously awaiting our October announce, but unfortunately we're still delayed. Stay tuned for updates tomorrow.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Today, tomorrow, what's the difference?
We still can't have and hold whatever it is that Criterion announces for another three months, thereafter.:mellow:

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
There must be something needing last-minute clearance (special feature, art work) that has yet to happen yet, or something along those lines.

Toho would be a likely candidate in this regard.

The rumor is Toho demands to announce this at SDCC.

That's stupid.

Announce the other five and get it over with.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
If The Prince of Tides really was going to be announced this month, it could very well be Streisand causing the delay. She is notorious for being late on approvals and finalizations.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Well, I've decided not to get frustrated.
I've decided to log off and watch one of my 9 Criterion films that are still sealed.
You know the ones.
That sealed title that excited us when first announced;
the one in which we anxiously awaited another 3 months for its release;
the one that became a Day-One purchase;
the one that we then kept a daily vigil by the mailbox for;
and the one that then was added to our stack of unwatched films.
Yup, that's the one; and after a year, I'm finally going to watch it, tonight.:popcorn:

Detour (1945)

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I've decided to log off and watch one of my 9 Criterion films that are still sealed.
You know the ones.
That sealed title that excited us when first announced;
the one in which we anxiously awaited another 3 months for its release;
the one that became a Day-One purchase;
the one that we then kept a daily vigil by the mailbox for;
and the one that then was added to our stack of unwatched films.
Yup, that's the one; and after a year, I'm finally going to watch it, tonight.:popcorn:

So, which one did you watch and what did you think of it? Worth the wait?

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
So, which one did you watch and what did you think of it? Worth the wait?
"The Emigrants". Gorgeous, masterful and generously packaged with "The New Land".
No turning back now, I'm going Swedish,
as this double-bill is a great precursor to that mega-box marathon of Ingmar Berman's Cinema;
which should keep anyone busy until Criterion's August announcements;
or, perhaps, even September's...or maybe even October's, too.

P.S. I can't imagine at this point any members not knowing, but the HTF/Criterion podcast interview is up and running.
You know the one; as made possible by Mr. Epstein, Mr. Dobbs and - as host - Mr. Posten, too.
A great listen with a highly generous trio from Criterion who openly shared, informed and enlightened.

No doubts, it'll tide anyone over until those coveted release announcements do finally come in.:)*

refer to: "HTF Podcast: Episode 5: Visiting Criterion Collection"

Last edited:

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
From Criterion Twitter:

Announcing our October lineup, featuring a wrenching drama about a pivotal struggle in the American labor movement & an Oscar-winning chronicle of one of Muhammad Ali’s greatest fights. Plus, 2 Blu-ray upgrades! Stay tuned for something big: next week we'll announce spine #1000!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation636
Recent bookmarks