What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This article seems to indicate that Criterion will be releasing the new 4K restoration of Holiday (1938) that was screened at the most recent TCM Classic Film Festival at some point.

http://www.postmagazine.com/Publica...pril-2019/Restoration-1938s-I-Holiday-I-.aspx
It took me many years to warm up to "Holiday" as it was never a personal favorite of mine. I watched it earlier this year and found myself enjoying it a lot more than in the past. I will definitely buy it on Blu-ray.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Criterion has slowly but surely been working its way through the 5 disc DVD Cary Grant Box Set released by Sony years ago. They’ve upgraded Only Angels Have Wings, His Girl Friday and The Awful Truth. Just waiting on Holiday and Talk Of the Town.
Well, Holiday is coming; I'm all in for Talk of the Town.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I got tired of waiting and bought the HD stream on iTunes and have enjoyed watching it a couple of times since I bought it. If Criterion does come out with a Blu-ray, I'm sure I'll buy it. It's one of my favorite Hepburn movies, and I think Grant is completely disarming in the film.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I'd love to see the 1930 version of HOLIDAY with Ann Harding, Robert Ames and Mary Astor added as a bonus extra on any forthcoming bluray of the 1938 version. I can completely see Ann Harding and Mary Astor in the Hepburn and Doris Nolan roles. And Edward Everett Horton plays the same character in both films.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I'd love to see the 1930 version of HOLIDAY with Ann Harding, Robert Ames and Mary Astor added as a bonus extra on any forthcoming bluray of the 1938 version. I can completely see Ann Harding and Mary Astor in the Hepburn and Doris Nolan roles. And Edward Everett Horton plays the same character in both films.
Harding and Astor are actually better.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
"The Circus"? Yes !!!:drum:

Boy, Lord Dalek, did I do a double-take when I saw your post.
THIS has been on my shortest of short lists for quite some time. Most coveted.
And for those who haven't yet gone to the link, it's gonna be a 4K digital restoration, as well.:thumbs-up-smiley:

C'mon, Criterion, don't stop now;
I just know you're holding out on "Bringing Up Baby" until the holidays, right?
Dare I say it, but I can feel it in my bones.;)

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I’m just agog over all the bonus features!

Deleted scenes? Oh yah! Interview with chaplain! Premier footage! This is looking to be one of Criterion ‘s best releases this year!

The thing I don’t get is why it is a restoration of the 1969 rerelease. Perhaps the 1927 version is missing?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
The latest newsletter clue:

upload_2019-6-27_18-45-6.jpeg

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
B&N Criterion 50% off sale is on now!
I picked up Rosemary's Baby, Some Like it Hot, Klute, The Heiress, The Fisher King, In the Heat of the Night and The Tree of Life. Expensive for me (the exchange rate is terrible), but I need to complete my collection. I put back The Complete Monterray Pop Festival; I'll try and get it before the month is out. Perhaps the dollar will go up by then...

Crappy thing is, The Heiress won't ship to Canada, even though Criterion is releasing it in Canada. So I have to go through a friend in the US. <_<

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks