What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
While they're slow on physical releases, the entire estate library has been available for viewing on Filmstruck (and Hulu Plus before that). It wouldn't surprise me if they end up just doing a box set of the entire library - which I'd actually prefer since I liked having most of his films in one set when I owned the New Line one. Same thing with the Chaplins.

I wouldn't be surprised either if Criterion put out box sets for the remaining Lloyd films - one for the shorts, one for the silent features, and one for the talkies. Perhaps that could explain the absence of Lloyd releases these past few years. Suzanne Lloyd Hayes did mention in an interview about two years ago that she was working on a talkies set (which I'm hoping will include Professor Beware and The Sin of Harold Diddlebock even though they're non-Trust titles).

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Outside of The Circus, the remaining Chaplin films are of the "for completionists only" variety so I can understand why Criterion has been sluggish on bringing them out.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
29 new Bergman titles in one month is impressive, but the lack of any Lloyd titles during the past three years is pathetic. Is it really asking too much for at least one Lloyd title a year? With one title a year it would still take quite a few years to release the entire lot - at Criterion's glacial pace they must assume physical media will still be relevant in the 2030s.

physical media will still be relevant, for everyone that takes it serious enough. I have all the Vinyl Phonograph records that my Grandparents and mother had, apparently "kids" these day seem to understand the richness that it creates. and it has made something of a comeback in specialty shops.

35 mm pictures , you know old school, the kind you used to have developed at the Fotomat, well they still make those cameras and the film, and some filmmakers still prefer to shoot on film.

E readers and digital books, but hardbacks still dominate Barnes & Noble, and the best seller list.

Technology is a wonderful thing, and can help to correct some of what the ravages of time and bad storage have done to the different generations of artwork that have grace the world, but it can also remind you of a special moment, that some things need to just be what they are to be remembered correctly.

Am i a sentimentalist, sometimes ...... but the sound of my grandparents old mantel clock, dial face that needs wound every three days with a key that is kept in the back that plays the Westminster Chimes on the each quarter of the hour, can bring back a memory, that always brings a smile. Physical will always be party of at least some part of the culture, because human beings are physical them selves and there is still a tactical nature that is part of the human condition.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Still no Harold Lloyd? It's only been three years since the last Lloyd release. Unless they're planning on releasing the remaining films in one big set, I have no idea why Criterion made the licensing agreement with the Lloyd estate unless they're just fond of sitting on films and irritating film enthusiasts. I'll bite on Ambersons when it's on sale, and I'm content with the current MGM blu of Some Like It Hot.
Love Lloyd, too. And I've got my Wish-List, as well. But how much effort does Criterion need to put out in a single month, before everyone is happy? 29 NEW to BD Bergman's and a double 4K transfer of two ultra-classics. This is caviar and champagne.
Be Kind - Please Rewind.:)
29 new Bergman titles in one month is impressive, but the lack of any Lloyd titles during the past three years is pathetic. Is it really asking too much for at least one Lloyd title a year? With one title a year it would still take quite a few years to release the entire lot - at Criterion's glacial pace they must assume physical media will still be relevant in the 2030s.
I am of the belief that groups like Criterion are either held up by licensing issues or are going deeper into creating a pristine transfer for their established and ongoing series; i.e. Chaplin, Lloyd, Lean, Powell and Pressburger, et al. I mean who would have ever thought that there would be 39 BDs of Bergman all together in one fell swoop? It's epic. I am also of the belief that when it comes to these unfinished through-lines and series, that Criterion is more than fully aware of what they've started. And they know that we are eager. So, it's got to be either of a contractual or restorative nature. Once again, I'm with you on your Wish-List; along with seeing more from the other aforementioned directors. But, my feeling was that Criterion needed to hear some praise on that prior day of confirmed November announcements for what they've also achieved. They've earned it.

Little doubt, our Wish-List titles will come;
meaning from those established series that have already gained their momentum.
Criterion wants it and we want it.
Or, as The Wicked Witch would say, "All in good time, my pretties, all in good time".:thumbs-up-smiley:

Meanwhile - and once, again - here's to Criterion and their amazing roster of November releases.:cheers:

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I am of the belief that groups like Criterion are either held up by licensing issues or are going deeper into creating a pristine transfer for their established and ongoing series; i.e. Chaplin, Lloyd, Lean, Powell and Pressburger, et al. I mean who would have ever thought that there would be 39 BDs of Bergman all together in one fell swoop? It's epic. I am also of the belief that when it comes to these unfinished through-lines and series, that Criterion is more than fully aware of what they've started. And they know that we are eager. So, it's got to be either of a contractual or restorative nature. Once again, I'm with you on your Wish-List; along with seeing more from the other aforementioned directors. But, my feeling was that Criterion needed to hear some praise on that prior day of confirmed November announcements for what they've also achieved. They've earned it.

Little doubt, our Wish-List titles will come;
meaning from those established series that have already gained their momentum.
Criterion wants it and we want it.
Or, as The Wicked Witch would say, "All in good time, my pretties, all in good time".:thumbs-up-smiley:

Meanwhile - and once, again - here's to Criterion and their amazing roster of November releases.:cheers:

the independents have take the classic films that we all love to a new level,

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
D79AA0B4-48D6-409C-A1B6-8C5753F845BA.jpeg

I don’t have any ideas

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Does Criterion still have a deal with Universal? If so, I wholeheartedly nominate CAPE FEAR (1962) for inclusion in their December or January batch. The film is a true classic, but the existing Blu-ray by Uni leaves so much to be desired. Mediocre transfer w/ very meager extras.

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Does Criterion still have a deal with Universal? If so, I wholeheartedly nominate CAPE FEAR (1962) for inclusion in their December or January batch. The film is a true classic, but the existing Blu-ray by Uni leaves so much to be desired. Mediocre transfer w/ very meager extras.
You should suggest it on their website!

Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks