Philip
An amazing November.
All I can say to Criterion is wow, wow and wow.:cheers:

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
The Magnificent Ambersons - I am surprised the extras don't seem to spend time talking about what was cut from the film as well as its original ending. I assume there were notes or something that outlined Welles' vision of what the film was supposed to be. Unless I am mistaken about this, I think that would be of most interest as an extra.
They have the original script, as A&E used it to film a version closer to Well’s vision. An extra about the missing footage and ending would have been most welcome!!

Count me in For SOME LIKE IT HOT and AMBERSONS.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
The Magnificent Ambersons - I am surprised the extras don't seem to spend time talking about what was cut from the film as well as its original ending. I assume there were notes or something that outlined Welles' vision of what the film was supposed to be. Unless I am mistaken about this, I think that would be of most interest as an extra.
I do have the Criterion laserdisc and on the audio commentary Robert Carringer talks about what was cut from the film. He is listed on the new release so not sure if brand new or it's from the laser.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Fun fact: the Carringer commentary on Magnificent Ambersons is now officially the oldest one of its kind to appear outside of Laserdisc. It was Criterion's second ever one after Ron Haver's pioneering effort on King Kong.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I am assuming the picture of Marilyn Monroe is actual her. Most , if not all, the poster art for "Some Like It Hot" used a body double with Marilyn's head.

7289993_l.jpg
%27Some+Like+It+Hot+Film+Poster+%28Italian+Market%29%27+Vintage+Advertisement+on+Canvas.jpg
shopping

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
"Some Like It Hot"?
Must've missed every post leading up to this announment
Fantastic news, fantastic timing !!!
What a year (or so) its been for Billy Wilder fans.
New transfers of "The Fortune Cookie (Twilight Time), "The Apartment" (Arrow), "Irma la Douce", (Kino Lorber).
Yup, the prior BD of "Some Like It Hot" was always deserving of something more. Nice that Criterion has joined the party.:)

And finally, after long last, we are getting "The Magnificent Ambersons".

Just the Bergman set, alone, was its own grand slam.

If that's November, what'll be Criterion's encore for December?

Greedy? Yah, sure. But why not?:D

“Shōwa Era” ....... The Big G

plus this little film
404621654_b4f3c49eec.jpg

Reactions: PMF

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Still no Harold Lloyd? It's only been three years since the last Lloyd release. Unless they're planning on releasing the remaining films in one big set, I have no idea why Criterion made the licensing agreement with the Lloyd estate unless they're just fond of sitting on films and irritating film enthusiasts. I'll bite on Ambersons when it's on sale, and I'm content with the current MGM blu of Some Like It Hot.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Still no Harold Lloyd? It's only been three years since the last Lloyd release. Unless they're planning on releasing the remaining films in one big set, I have no idea why Criterion made the licensing agreement with the Lloyd estate unless they're just fond of sitting on films and irritating film enthusiasts. I'll bite on Ambersons when it's on sale, and I'm content with the current MGM blu of Some Like It Hot.
Love Lloyd, too. And I've got my Wish-List, as well. But how much effort does Criterion need to put out in a single month, before everyone is happy? 29 NEW to BD Bergman's and a double 4K transfer of two ultra-classics. This is caviar and champagne.
Be Kind - Please Rewind.:)

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin

i don't think to many of us would be unhappy, if Lloyd and Chaplin both found their way back into the monthly announcements, along with other rumored titles, "ahem, cough, ahem" Preston Sturges , or some Paramount titles. Some times, it's all about timing, what is better yet is that we are still discussing this, you know dead format and all, or so they keep saying.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Love Lloyd, too. And I've got my Wish-List, as well. But how much effort does Criterion need to put out in a single month, before everyone is happy? 29 NEW to BD Bergman's and a double 4K transfer of two ultra-classics. This is caviar and champagne.
Be Kind - Please Rewind.:)

29 new Bergman titles in one month is impressive, but the lack of any Lloyd titles during the past three years is pathetic. Is it really asking too much for at least one Lloyd title a year? With one title a year it would still take quite a few years to release the entire lot - at Criterion's glacial pace they must assume physical media will still be relevant in the 2030s.

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Some Like It Hot from Criterion will not include the Tony Curtis commentary apparently so if youre in commentaries you might have to hold on to the MGM Blu ray
Im almost certain whenever Criterion releases Notorious it will not have the extras on the MGM blu ray either. so if owning two copies is your thing.. :)

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
i don't think to many of us would be unhappy, if Lloyd and Chaplin both found their way back into the monthly announcements, along with other rumored titles, "ahem, cough, ahem" Preston Sturges , or some Paramount titles. Some times, it's all about timing, what is better yet is that we are still discussing this, you know dead format and all, or so they keep saying.

If Criterion puts out The Sin of Harold Diddlebock we'd be killing two birds with one stone. :D (yes, I know, Diddlebock doesn't represent Lloyd and Sturges at their best, but I'd still like to see a high quality version of it to replace my Alpha disc.)

Last edited:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

While they're slow on physical releases, the entire estate library has been available for viewing on Filmstruck (and Hulu Plus before that). It wouldn't surprise me if they end up just doing a box set of the entire library - which I'd actually prefer since I liked having most of his films in one set when I owned the New Line one. Same thing with the Chaplins.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick

I believe that Criterion's old laser disc did address the cuts in some detail. Maybe that will all be on the Blu, somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks