What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Maybe it will. With Criterion's new relationship with WB, anything is possible. Maybe they will include all three cuts of the film (1978 theatrical, 2000 restoration, and 1981 188-minute TV versions), as some fans are hoping I am sure.

Criterion is usually full of surprises, but what exactly would they have to offer over the existing Warner releases besides the TV cut?

It just seems like a waste of resources on Criterion's part unless they have something to offer over the existing editions. I can't imagine how they could top a release that already has 4-5 hours of supplements, commentaries, and multiple cuts. At least releases like Pan's Labyrinth, The New World, and Being There had plenty of new supplements and new transfers/remasters to justify their existence.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Both TV cuts are redundant anyway and probably don't exist in a transferable condition outside of a major reconstruction effort which Warner probably lacks the time, money, and interest to do.

In fact it would be time better spent to use that to try to fix all the technical problems with II Donner Cut and I doubt that'll happen either.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
Criterion is usually full of surprises, but what exactly would they have to offer over the existing Warner releases besides the TV cut?

It just seems like a waste of resources on Criterion's part unless they have something to offer over the existing editions. I can't imagine how they could top a release that already has 4-5 hours of supplements, commentaries, and multiple cuts. At least releases like Pan's Labyrinth, The New World, and Being There had plenty of new supplements and new transfers/remasters to justify their existence.

That is up to Warner of course...it is their call. Remember though, Criterion did the TV cut of "Last Emperor"...and that was never shown on American Television!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
That is up to Warner of course...it is their call. Remember though, Criterion did the TV cut of "Last Emperor"...and that was never shown on American Television!

The Last Emperor only had the terrible quality bare-bones Artisan DVD of the extended cut prior to the Criterion, though. Criterion has released (or will be releasing) almost 500 Blu-Rays as of this year and only about 30 are of films that already had a US Blu-Ray. All of which improve upon mediocre transfers with new 4Ks, add considerable supplements, or both.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong when Criterion is the last remaining producer of physical UHD discs in 2037.

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
The Last Emperor only had the terrible quality bare-bones Artisan DVD of the extended cut prior to the Criterion, though. Criterion has released (or will be releasing) almost 500 Blu-Rays as of this year and only about 30 are of films that already had a US Blu-Ray. All of which improve upon mediocre transfers with new 4Ks, add considerable supplements, or both.

Perhaps I'll be proven wrong when Criterion is the last remaining producer of physical UHD discs in 2037.

12K will probably arrive by then! You never know...

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Very happy about Stalker. The past dvd & Blu-ray releases were very disappointing and I did read about Tarkovsky having problems with the making of the film. One of his best films and a easy buy for me.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Normally I wait for the Criterion sales, but Lost in America may just have to be a first-day purchase for me.

lost_in_america3.jpg

David: Oh, God. I guess this was my fault. That’s what I’m thinking. Maybe I just didn’t explain the nest egg well enough. If you had understood… you know, it’s a very sacred thing the nest egg, and if you’d understood the Nest Egg Principle, as we will now call it in the first of many lectures that you will have to get, because if we are to ever acquire another nest egg, we both have to understand what it means. The egg is a protector, like a god, and we sit under the nest egg… and we are protected by it. Without it? No protection! Want me to go on? It pours rain. Hey, the rain drops on the egg and falls off the side. Without the egg? Wet! It’s over. But you didn’t understand it and that’s why we’re where we are.
Linda: I understood the nest egg.
David: Oh, please. Do me a favor. Don’t use the word. You may not use that word. It’s off limits to you! Only those in this house who understand nest egg may use it! And don’t use any part of it, either. Don’t use “nest.” Don’t use “egg.” You’re out in the forest you can point, “The bird lives in a round stick.” And and and you have “things” over easy with toast!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
THE GOOD EARTH? The steak looks like North America. The pan is a wok. So...

Pan fried? Shanghai Express? Steak (R)evolution (2014)? One man and his cow? The Frying Game?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Doubtful. CBS/Paramount released it on Blu-ray in 2014 in the Twin Peaks box set, and re-issued that box set in different packaging last year. You can now get the entire series and movie, along with an included bonus movie made from deleted scenes, for about $45. Even if the rights were available to Criterion (I would suspect they wouldn't be available with CBS/Paramount currently distributing it), what incentive would they have to try to market a single movie for $40 when it's available in a fully loaded edition with two seasons of a TV show for $45? As a customer, I don't have an incentive to double dip on that title.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks