What's new

Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I feel that Criterion ought to finish off their "World" trilogy, soon.
We've got "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World"
And we've got "The New World", too.
So they may as well complete it all with "Around the World...", right?:thumbs-up-smiley:

Last edited:

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Assuming last new years' clue was intended, this is the last month for The Lion in Winter to get announced.

This is still coming from Criterion, right?

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
That is correct .TT has The Lion In Winter. Last reported that they were going to try to utilize the European digital restoration of the film. I believe The Lion in Winter is being released in Europe in early October.

Reactions: PMF

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
If that's the case, then Criterion ought to get their hands on Hepburn's first Oscar win and release "Stage Door" (1937); then we'd have all 4 of her trophies secured on BD.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
If that's the case, then Criterion ought to get their hands on Hepburn's first Oscar win and release "Stage Door" (1937); then we'd have all 4 of her trophies secured on BD.

Hepburn's first Oscar win was in 1933 for "Morning Glory". But I'd vote for a Criterion release of "Stage Door" regardless.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I'm pretty sure Punch Drunk Love was chosen not because it stars Adam Sandler, but because it was written and directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. In addition to being a respected director, be appears to have a warm relationship with the Criterion Collection

Now if we are talking about a film produced and written by Adam Sandler, that would not have a snowball's chance in hell of being approached by the Criterion Collection.

In addition, this may not be the only Sandler vehicle to get Criterion treatment. The upcoming film Yeh Din Ka Kissa (aka The Story of the Day) is being directed by Naoh Baumbach, an auteur that has no less than 5 separate films in the Criterion Collection. Unless this turns out horrible, this could easily end up being Noah's sixth and Sandler's second.

I don't care if was directed by Akira Kurosawa, any Sandler vehicle is a blind "never buy" for me. I hear enough potty humor for free; I don't need to pay for it.

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Hepburn's first Oscar win was in 1933 for "Morning Glory". But I'd vote for a Criterion release of "Stage Door" regardless.
Thank You.
I stand corrected.
One backstage story for another, as you can see.
Well, that's what happens when one works the midnight shift (and would rather read the HTF, than go to bed).;)
Yes, "Morning Glory" (1933).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
Of course, John Ford was another 4-time Irish Oscar winner.
They ought to scoop up "The Informer" (1935), as well.
Ford's first directorial Oscar from Criterion would be great to see.
TITLE for the paired SET?
How about "First of Four - Hepburn and Ford"

Last edited:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Some phantom page investigation have seemingly revealed three of today's forthcoming announcements:

The Asphalt Jungle (1951)
Heart of a Dog (2015)
Roma (1972)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don't care if was directed by Akira Kurosawa, any Sandler vehicle is a blind "never buy" for me. I hear enough potty humor for free; I don't need to pay for it.

I generally find Adam Sandler comedies insufferable, but Punch-Drunk Love is a great film. It makes one wish Sandler picked better films because he's terrific in this. Don't skip the film over him because it's nothing like anything else he's been in.

Then again, Paul Thomas Anderson could probably get a great performance out of Tommy Wiseau...

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Some phantom page investigation have seemingly revealed three of today's forthcoming announcements:

The Asphalt Jungle (1951)
Heart of a Dog (2015)
Roma (1972)

They are confirmed, along with a Blu-ray upgrade of Luis Bunuel's The Exterminating Angel. Also, the release of The Tree of Wooden Clogs has been pushed back to February 2017; plan accordingly.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
-Punch Drunk Love is a dream come true for me. I liked it better than "Magnolia"(which is also great). I get that people will stay clear of it because of Sandler. I have a friend that loves dramatic movies but will never watch "Leaving LAs Vegas" because he hates Nicholas Cage.
When I watch PDL I don't think of Happy Gilmore, I see an isolated, antisocial character that falls in love and goes far out of his "comfort zone" to pursue it. It is a great movie.
"That's That";)

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I really do hope this means more P.T.A. films are in the works. Especially Boogie Nights.

EDIT - Yes I'm aware the current Boogie Nights blu-ray is technically a Criterion release already. That said it could really use a new transfer,

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I think there is more of a chance ANY Adam Sandler movie could - and SHOULD - be released by any other label than CRITERION; always reporting to offer us the classic, foreign and art house with oodles of extras. I wouldn't expect Criterion to release an Adam Sandler movie any more than I would suspect them of being the custodians in charge of Batman Vs. Superman: Deluxe Edition.
There are Adam Sandler movies, and there are movies featuring Adam Sandler. Two very different things. The five films in the latter category -- Punch-Drunk Love, Spanglish, Reign Over Me, Funny People and Men, Women & Children -- all have their merits, but Punch-Drunk Love is the only one that stands out as a Criterion candidate.

RMajidi

Premium
Real Name
Ramin

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks