What's new

Criterion announces "The Battle of Algiers" due "This Autumn" (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: Excellent! This is easily one of my most anticipated titles. Criterion should do it proud!

Fredric

Stunt Coordinator
It's a shame that Frankenheimer isn't around to provide his comments somewhere on the set. The film was a huge influence on his style and approach to filmmaking.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
Incredible, they have enought extras for two discs? I've been waiting on this one as well.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
I was fortunate enough to see it during its recent limited re-release. Great stuff. My only complaint was with the subtitles. Being that the film was in black and white there were many times when the white subtitles appeared on a white background making them hard to read. A yellow tint would be good.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
woah :) i saw the trailer posted at apple.com for this film and i was amazed and criterion makes it possible for me to see this film :emoji_thumbsup:

Seth--L

Screenwriter
Hopefully the inclusion of a third disc won't drive the price up too much. I'd rather it come as a single disc instead of having to paying something like $60 for three disc set.

ShaunS

Stunt Coordinator
Just finished viewing this on VHS and... yowza. Pretty powerful stuff. This one will stick with me for awhile.

Talk about "Ripped from the Headlines". Not that there's any real comparison with you know what, but: An occupying power quelling native insurgence. Suicide bombings. Prisoner torture. "Terrorism".

Should be re-released in theatres for all to see.

Can't wait to stroll through the Criterion extras. Should be fascinating.

ShaunS

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit
I bought this a few months ago (R2) pretty good disc, but will be no match for the Criterion which I will be all over as soon as it comes.

I tell ya, I would love to get the OST.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben

I had the same problem when I saw the re-release. This is one time I don't think I'd mind player-generated subtitles.

M.

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

Why do you think this movie has been used by the Pentagon when conducting courses on counter-insurrgency and why various groups see it as handbook on how to wage an insurrgency.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
For those unfamiliar with this film, Rather than drone on, someone by the name of Chris Knipp did a nice summary here:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0058946/

I must admit I have no idea how special features could fill up two additional discs but in the end only special features really matter. Let's up for the best.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator

I'm not trying to be a troll here, but why do YOU think this movie has been used by the Pentagon and other groups? When I saw it recently, I was struck by how badly things turn out for both the militants and, particularly, the French--which I think is largely the point of the picture. The Pentagon probably should have used the film as an example of exactly how not to handle an insurgency, but they apparently did not.

*Insert forbidden political commentary here*

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks