What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You could be fair, though, and at least mention that could have been caused by factors that have nothing to do with Criterion...

Which factors would those be though?

I mean... I guess I could try more diff browsers... but if it works so poorly for 2 diff mainstream browsers -- and I checked other things as well to help rule out typically other factors -- and this is a preview, possibly beta version thing for them, should I not really comment about it until I check for the remotest possible issues that cannot be faulted against them?

Sure, it's possible (like almost everything else we talk about... because let's face it, almost nobody here are regularly running very rigorous scientific experiments before commenting... and even then...), but part of this whole thing is Criterion should not be marketing their service only to tech nerds who can troubleshoot such issues for them -- and I'm actually someone who might be very capable at that... but that's not why I want to subscribe though...

Anyway, I do honestly hope they solve it before the service goes fully prime time.

My preliminary guess is maybe they need to do a bit more buffering and manage that buffer better (for their website)... amongst other possible issues that may or may not be completely their fault. But part of how these things should work is they need to build in enough fault tolerance so the stream doesn't fail (or drop bitrates so drastically) so easily...

Meanwhile, I don't recall anyone here actually expressing consistent, if any at all, positive experiences w/ the (essentially pre-launch) service so far... If there are plenty of positive response, then of course, the fault may more likely be something possibly unusual on my end...

Cheers!

_Man_

Last edited:

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Apple TV app is now live

18D34CE4-C341-498D-9913-04F108EEB6BE.jpeg

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The TV app was like that for the first 30mins or so then it worked. Just give them a little time to get it going.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Logged onto the website version on my PC and it still shows the pre-launch page and no content other than the "Movie of the Week.," but it does have my correct subscription information.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Pro tip: in the settings you can enable background audio playback which allows you to close the app and still hear what you are playing. That would be nice for listening to an audio commentary while doing something else. I'm in my car now and listening to an interview through CarPlay.

I love me some 2019 movie watching

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks