What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (2 Viewers)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
If your point is that it didn't work and that it's going to be harder to succeed with such a channel without Warner? If so, I got your point, but I'm not sure it's true that it didn't work as Warner pulled the plug due to their own corporate interests. As to it being harder without Warner, true enough, but Criterion needs to up their game and they have seem to be promoting this new channel more than Filmstruck.

No, I wasn't trying to get that deep with it. My initial comments were referring to just the app, not the business behind it (the need to scrap the original app then rebuild essentially the same thing, losing revenue and subscribers in the process).

My point was only meant to be that on an app level I wish they had been able to rename the app The Criterion Channel, then keep going uninterrupted...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No, I wasn't trying to get that deep with it. My initial comments were referring to just the app, not the business behind it (the need to scrap the original app then rebuild essentially the same thing, losing revenue and subscribers in the process).

My point was only meant to be that on an app level I wish they had been able to rename the app The Criterion Channel, then keep going uninterrupted...
I would think they tried as it would be more cost effective for their business, but as I stated previously, circumstances probably prevented that from happening. Anyhow, I get your point!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
One week left to sign up for charter pricing. I signed up for the $90/year deal, I figure if I don't want to keep it at least I am locked in for the 30 day free trial and if I do keep it I am good for the year...
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/040219-1200
Just a word of caution per Criterion. You have to create your account prior to April 8th.

To secure your Charter Subscriber status, please make sure to create your account before April 8, when our service officially launches. After April 7, you won’t be eligible for reduced pricing and an extended, 30-day free trial. (Please note: when choosing between the monthly and yearly subscriptions, keep in mind that if you switch your billing frequency on or after April 8, your subscription rate will automatically update to the prevailing cost at the time you switch.)

Tom Logan

Second Unit
Will someone kindly post here once the new Criterion app is available on the Amazon Fire Stick?

Much appreciated. :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
There's no app available for ANY platform right now AFAIK. You have to sign up and watch "movies of the week" on their website.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
It's so weird too. You can buy your subscription without ever setting a password. I just went back and 'reset' a password I never set to make sure my account was set right before the 8th.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
One week left to sign up for charter pricing. I signed up for the $90/year deal, I figure if I don't want to keep it at least I am locked in for the 30 day free trial and if I do keep it I am good for the year...
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/040219-1200

I finally got around to do likewise as well.

Noticed they actually have John Woo's Last Hurrah of Chivalry(!) running right now. Really didn't expect that... but it surely makes me happy if the transfer lives upto Criterion rep -- and if this means we might soon get it along w/ others like it on disc... or at least good quality streaming...

Too bad there's no (Roku) app yet though... but maybe I'll try hooking up my laptop for this one... unless it'll still be available when the app becomes ready...

Also like Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but already bought the Criterion boxset containing that...

Cheers!

_Man_

questrider

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I have a slight inclination to get in on this early charter subscription, however, I'm not sure exactly what I'm subscribing to since there is no list of content right now. It feels like I'm making a bet on an unknown commodity. This cannot be giving access to their entire catalog all at once since that would cut into their disc sales so I'm just not sure exactly what I'd be paying $10 (or $7.49 if I pay annually) a month for. For example, I know Criterion has most of the Wes Anderson films, but I certainly am not expecting that all of them will be available every month 24 hours a day. Or will they?

Also, it sounds like whatever payment schedule you choose, monthly or yearly, you're locked in to that for the entirety of your charter subscription. The statement of "if you switch your billing frequency on or after April 8, your subscription rate will automatically update to the prevailing cost at the time you switch" clearly communicates that if at any time you decide to change from monthly to yearly or yearly to monthly you will lose your locked-in charter subscription status. So choose wisely... :ph34r:

EmotionalWigglyKite-small.gif

I'm going to ruminate on this over the weekend!

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I'm not sure exactly what I'm subscribing to since there is no list of content right now. It feels like I'm making a bet on an unknown commodity...

This cannot be giving access to their entire catalog all at once since that would cut into their disc sales so I'm just not sure exactly what I'd be paying $10 a month for... I certainly am not expecting that all of them will be available every month 24 hours a day. Or will they?

Signing up now wouldn't be a bet at all since you really have until May 8th to make up your mind. Charter members get a 30 day free trial, so sign up now, lock in the charter price, and if you don't like what you see just cancel before you get your first charge on May 8th.

Also, their site says "Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times. Films licensed specifically for featured thematic programming may be available for shorter periods, but will be available for a minimum of ninety days."

A list of launch day thematic programming can be found here:

https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6253-the-criterion-channel-announces-launch-lineup

To me, the yearly charter plan is a no-brainer. With the 30 day free trial, the first year is basically $89.99 for 13 months. That's $6.92/month. I paid that for one meal at McDonald's this morning...

2B37FCF5-1B16-464B-A040-5D661C35045F.jpeg

Look at it this way, too: subscribing outside the charter period on a monthly plan is $131.88 a year vs. the charter yearly plan of $89.99. That's $41.89 in savings EVERY YEAR!

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I have a slight inclination to get in on this early charter subscription, however, I'm not sure exactly what I'm subscribing to since there is no list of content right now. It feels like I'm making a bet on an unknown commodity. This cannot be giving access to their entire catalog all at once since that would cut into their disc sales so I'm just not sure exactly what I'd be paying $10 (or $7.49 if I pay annually) a month for. For example, I know Criterion has most of the Wes Anderson films, but I certainly am not expecting that all of them will be available every month 24 hours a day. Or will they?

Also, it sounds like whatever payment schedule you choose, monthly or yearly, you're locked in to that for the entirety of your charter subscription. The statement of "if you switch your billing frequency on or after April 8, your subscription rate will automatically update to the prevailing cost at the time you switch" clearly communicates that if at any time you decide to change from monthly to yearly or yearly to monthly you will lose your locked-in charter subscription status. So choose wisely... :ph34r:

EmotionalWigglyKite-small.gif

I'm going to ruminate on this over the weekend!

April Calendar is up on their website.
https://www.criterion.com/current/posts/6253-the-criterion-channel-announces-launch-lineup

Films in the permanent streaming library will be continuously available to all Criterion Channel subscribers at all times, regardless of whether they are being spotlighted in thematic programming. Films licensed specifically for featured thematic programming may be available for shorter periods, but all films will be available for a minimum of ninety days unless otherwise noted.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Tried watching Last Hurrah for Chivalry last night. Very disappointing... the video stream kept failing and/or getting stuck many times (and repeatedly drop to extremely low PQ... like it's 200x160p or something)... Tried both MS Edge and Google Chrome -- Edge was worse, but Chrome faired not much better. Finally gave up ~30min into the flick.

I hope the upcoming official app version works w/out problems... because that's no way for a Criterion branded service to (not) work...

_Man_

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Tried watching Last Hurrah for Chivalry last night. Very disappointing... the video stream kept failing and/or getting stuck many times (and repeatedly drop to extremely low PQ... like it's 200x160p or something)... Tried both MS Edge and Google Chrome -- Edge was worse, but Chrome faired not much better. Finally gave up ~30min into the flick.

I hope the upcoming official app version works w/out problems... because that's no way for a Criterion branded service to (not) work...

_Man_

You could be fair, though, and at least mention that could have been caused by factors that have nothing to do with Criterion...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks