What's new

General Discussion The Criterion Channel Streaming Service (Official Thread) (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
New page of titles leaving Dec 31 available on the main page:

2FE89E00-D4BE-42E3-A396-3B25FAA03DD4.jpeg

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I think there is actually quite a bit of validity to what Ted is saying. It's something I've posted about before.

Try this, Robert, to see what we're saying:

Search for Klute. You will see results that look like this:

View attachment 65342

If you select the very first result, as most would do, there are no extras. If you select the result in the 2nd row (under collections) you get extras.

One more example - under collections there is one for British Hitchcock. Clicking on it brings you to this page with a list of movies:

View attachment 65343

If you click on The 39 Steps in that list, no extras.

If you do a manual search for The 39 Steps...

View attachment 65344

...selecting that first result again gives no extras, but selecting that very last result in the 2nd row does.

Not ideal.
So now it has gotten even worse: searching for “Klute” on either AppleTV or iPad on the Criterion app isn’t producing any results. Searching for “Fonda” or “Pakula” doesn’t return Klute or any of its extras.
Is it even buggier than I thought or did they (secretly) remove Klute altogether??

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So now it has gotten even worse: searching for “Klute” on either AppleTV or iPad on the Criterion app isn’t producing any results. Searching for “Fonda” or “Pakula” doesn’t return Klute or any of its extras.
Is it even buggier than I thought or did they (secretly) remove Klute altogether??
Klute dropped after November 30th.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Klute dropped after November 30th.
So it was there for all of 2 weeks? And I missed the warning, otherwise I would have watched all the extras? I'm lucky I saw the movie itself and one of the extras... I guess I have to carefully to read the list of movies going away (which I did for December and will definitely watch some of them).
But it is still bizarre - all the other movies that are parts of the "Caught on Tape" collection are still there, Pakula's name is still in the brief text describing the collection. This was really their plan?

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
November 2019 Calendar is Out. MGM Musical lovers rejoice. 19 MGM Musicals of which 7 star Judy Garland and Gene Kelly including all 3 films they made together. Would be interested people's reactions to the films as streamed here as opposed to TCM. Especially 7 Brides and Lili which I have never seen look great. Would be nice if some of the films not on blu have had work done.

Lineup
INSIDE CRITERION / ON THE CHANNEL — OCT 30, 2019

PvW6EjgTDqcPrJdpVvA5DZvg3kuTqg.png

We’ve got a lot to be thankful for this November on the Criterion Channel, including a feast of classic MGM musicals, the visionary animated films of Suzan Pitt, an in-depth conversation with acclaimed director Karyn Kusama, three of Jack Nicholson’s most iconic performances, and thematic series that explore surveillance, food, and queer desire in cinema.

If you haven’t signed up yet, head to CriterionChannel.com and get a 14-day free trial!

* indicates programming available only in the U.S.

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 1
The Mustache Club
Whether you’re swearing off shaving for Movember, rock a bushy upper lip year round, or are just an appreciator of fine facial hair, you’re invited to bask in the glory of some of the biggest, glossiest, and most impressive mustaches ever to grace the screen.

Featuring: The Thief of Bagdad (Ludwig Berger, Michael Powell, and Tim Whelan, 1940), The Great Dictator (Charlie Chaplin, 1940), 49th Parallel (Michael Powell, 1941), The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp (Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger, 1943), Jules and Jim (François Truffaut, 1962), High and Low (Akira Kurosawa, 1963), Capricious Summer (Jiří Menzel, 1968), The American Friend (Wim Wenders, 1977)

They Live By Night (Nicholas Ray, 1949)
Criterion Collection Edition #880

Double Feature: Love Me Do
A Hard Day’s Night and The Hours and Times
John Lennon as a prankster pop-culture icon, then reimagined in his more intimate moments.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 2
Saturday Matinee: Kes
Featuring an introduction by Bill Hader
Ken Loach’s masterpiece, about a miner’s son whose close bond with a wild kestrel provides him with a spiritual escape from his dead-end life, is cinema’s quintessential portrait of working-class Northern England.

jud2yjFRyHWdvA4EnFTHfCQ4JPWbv4.png

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3
MGM Musicals from the Golden Age
In the heyday of the classic Hollywood musical, one studio reigned supreme: MGM. These beloved tune-filled classics, exploding in blazing Technicolor, are marvels of craftsmanship and razzle-dazzle entertainment that are filled to the brim with some of the most indelible moments of movie magic ever committed to celluloid.

Featuring: Broadway Melody of 1940 (Norman Taurog, 1940), For Me and My Gal (Busby Berkeley, 1942), Cabin in the Sky (Vincente Minnelli, 1943), Meet Me in St. Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944), The Harvey Girls (George Sidney, 1946), Easter Parade (Charles Walters, 1948), The Pirate (Vincente Minnelli, 1948), On the Town (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1949), In the Good Old Summertime (Robert Z. Leonard, 1949), The Barkleys of Broadway (Charles Walters, 1949), Summer Stock (Charles Walters, 1950), An American in Paris (Vincente Minnelli, 1951), The Band Wagon (Vincente Minnelli, 1953), Give a Girl a Break (Stanley Donen, 1953), I Love Melvin (Don Weis, 1953), Lili (Charles Walters, 1953), Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (Stanley Donen, 1954), Brigadoon (Vincente Minnelli, 1954)*, It’s Always Fair Weather (Stanley Donen and Gene Kelly, 1955), That’s Entertainment! (Jack Haley Jr., 1974)

Z0OYjVHgK3ERXd9MFxKV6f3PlEl5Wz.png

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 3
Starring Judy Garland
Both a powerhouse, once-in-a-generation vocalist and an actor of tremulous emotional sensitivity, Judy Garland set the standard for what it means to be a true all-around entertainer. These flights of fantasy are enduring testaments to the brilliance of a performer who never gave less than her dazzling all.

Featuring: For Me and My Gal (Busby Berkeley, 1942), Meet Me in St. Louis (Vincente Minnelli, 1944), The Harvey Girls (George Sidney, 1946), The Pirate (Vincente Minnelli, 1948), Easter Parade (Charles Walters, 1948), In the Good Old Summertime (Robert Z. Leonard, 1949), Summer Stock (Charles Walters, 1950)

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 4
12 Angry Men (Sidney Lumet, 1957)
Criterion Collection Edition #591

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 5
Short + Feature: Last Call
El doctor and Under the Volcano
Images of wonder and terror swirl beneath the Mexican sun in these delirious, alcohol-fueled fever dreams from Suzan Pitt and John Huston.

TNhPM9xlptHfGJbKm2tcD5XIR6OuEx.png

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 6
The Arbor*
Documentary meets the avant-garde in Clio Barnard’s electrifying debut feature, a dazzling account of a brilliant artist beset by tragedy.

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 7
Three Jacks
No actor defined the restless, countercultural spirit of the New Hollywood of the 1970s more completely than Jack Nicholson, whose roguish attitude and explosive yet nuanced performances in these cultural touchstones made him a star.

Featuring: Five Easy Pieces (Bob Rafelson, 1970), The King of Marvin Gardens (Bob Rafelson, 1972), The Last Detail (Hal Ashby, 1973)

bbR9idNv0rOfNy03iI0emlKDlGJytt.png

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 8
Double Feature: Between Us Girls
The Young Girls of Rochefort and Persepolis
Generations change but Catherine Deneuve is eternal in two spirited celebrations of maternal bonds.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 9
Saturday Matinee: Elephant Boy
Walk with Sabu and the elephants in this charming translation of Rudyard Kipling’s Jungle Book story “Toomai of the Elephants.”

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 10
Caught on Tape
Trust no one in these anxiety-inducing tales of surveillance, wiretapping, and paranoia run amok.

Featuring: A Face in the Crowd (Elia Kazan, 1957), Klute (Alan J. Pakula, 1971), The Conversation (Francis Ford Coppola, 1974), Blow Out (Brian De Palma, 1981), Diva (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1981), Three Colors: Red (Krzysztof Kieślowski, 1994), Caché (Michael Haneke, 2005), The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, 2006)*

Yrltp3lY8DXGlXhnt8X5DrMDtKQiJ0.png

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 11
The 400 Blows (François Truffaut, 1959)
Criterion Collection Edition #5
With a new documentary by Daniel Raim featuring François Truffaut’s daughter Laura Truffaut, made to celebrate the film’s sixtieth anniversary

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 12
Short + Feature: Listen Up
Death of the Sound Man and Blow Out
Let’s hear it for the Foley artists—these underappreciated technicians take center stage in two slyly self-reflexive studies in sound.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 13
7 Films by Suzan Pitt
Featuring Suzan Pitt: Persistence of Vision, a 2006 documentary by Blue and Laura Kraning
Enter the wild and wondrous world of the late Suzan Pitt, an independent animation visionary whose oneiric psychosexual odysseys are direct channels to her dreams, nightmares, fantasies, and inner desires.

Featuring: Crocus (1971), Jefferson Circus Songs (1973), Asparagus (1979), Joy Street (1995), El doctor (2006), Visitation (2011), Pinball (2013)

02e0PjVSqKWU0Oj792RfJrKxFPNgkc.png

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 14
Directed by Peter Greenaway
Featuring a 2016 documentary portrait of Greenaway
Endlessly fascinated by the baroque, the bizarre, and the esoteric, the uncompromisingly personal films of British iconoclast Peter Greenaway are richly realized worlds unto themselves—witty, outrageous, sumptuous, shocking, and unapologetically intellectual.

Featuring: Intervals (1973), Windows (1974), Dear Phone (1976), H Is for House (1976), A Walk Through H (1978), Water Wrackets (1978), Vertical Features Remake (1978), The Falls (1980), The Draughtsman’s Contract (1982), A Zed & Two Noughts (1985), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989), Prospero’s Books (1991), The Pillow Book (1996)*

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15
Double Feature: Jamdown Style
The Harder They Come and No Place Like Home
The reggae rhythms rock steady in a Jamaican-cinema landmark and its long-lost follow-up.

9LBgPA5DxDxRlP3C4bV3kUIh3Jy9lP.png

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 16
Saturday Matinee: My Life as a Dog
Featuring an incredibly mature and unaffected performance by the young Anton Glanzelius, this beloved and bittersweet film from Lasse Hallström evokes the struggles and joys of childhood.

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 17
Queersighted: The Ache of Desire
Featuring a conversation between critics Michael Koresky and Melissa Anderson
Queer cinema has existed nearly as long as the movies themselves, and Queersighted aims to bring attention to film history through a distinctly queer lens. Rather than provide a history of films featuring lesbian, gay, transgender, or bisexual characters and themes, this new series draws out the presence of a non-heteronormative, non-gender-binary cinema that has always existed alongside, parallel, or underneath the status quo. This first installment, The Ache of Desire, presents a range of movies about that longing feeling that is so specific to the queer experience and to queer cinema itself.

Featuring: Persona (Ingmar Bergman, 1966), Les rendez-vous d’Anna (Chantal Akerman, 1978), Yentl (Barbra Streisand, 1983), Desert Hearts (Donna Deitch, 1985), Happy Together (Wong Kar-wai, 1997), Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch, 2001), I Don’t Want to Sleep Alone (Tsai Ming-liang, 2006), Raging Sun, Raging Sky (Julián Hernández, 2009), Stranger by the Lake (Alain Guiraudie, 2013)*

VFLygXQh4P9yj0Vgi7UXXzupunw1O5.png

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 18
An Elephant Sitting Still
Exclusive streaming premiere, featuring a new introduction by critic and programmer Aliza Ma and Hu Bo’s 2017 short film Man in the Well
One of the most acclaimed feature debuts of the last decade, the first and, tragically, last film from Hu Bo, who took his own life at the age of twenty-nine, is a tour de force of existential fury and transcendent catharsis.

QnQBJSs8ur9NOUvZYtGJpQgAQVDoWa.png

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 19
Short + Feature: Table Manners
Next Floor and The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover
Best not to eat before digging into these gut-busting banquets of grotesque gastronomy that double as subversive explorations of excess, corruption, gluttony, and greed.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 20
Directed by Alice Rohrwacher
Blending elements of neorealism and folklore with a contemporary feminist worldview, these tender evocations of adolescent awakening from one of contemporary cinema’s most sensitive and perceptive auteurs are marvels of quiet, unassuming grace.

Featuring: Corpo celeste (2011), The Wonders (2014)

VawKfTbUgc5Q4umMwbmOVP0P7UwQBC.png

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 21
The Koker Trilogy (Abbas Kiarostami, 1987/1992/1994)
Criterion Collection Edition #990/991/992

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 22
Double Feature: As Triers Go By
Reprise and Oslo, August 31st*
Punk poet Joachim Trier directs these explosive and empathetic portraits of young men on the edge.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 23
Saturday Matinee: Meet Me in St. Louis
Judy Garland rides the trolley into cinematic immortality in this nostalgic holiday heart-warmer.

oZHa7J65xl25qRPn2Pv5m9MRvvh5kn.png

SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 24
Karyn Kusama’s Adventures in Moviegoing
The director of edgy genre-exploders like Girlfight, Jennifer’s Body, and Destroyer sits down with presenter and critic Alicia Malone to discuss the feminist potential of horror movies, her love for paranoid seventies thrillers, and favorite films that have shaped her approach to moviemaking.

Featuring: Pather Panchali (Satyajit Ray, 1955), High and Low (Akira Kurosawa, 1963), Jeanne Dielman, 23, quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles (Chantal Akerman, 1975), Fanny and Alexander (Ingmar Bergman, 1982), Come and See (Elem Klimov, 1985), Near Dark (Kathryn Bigelow, 1987)

Og0DoMwXfbWiNXLyUW3uKFDGFTUmQw.png

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 25
The Inland Sea (Lucille Carra, 1991)
Criterion Collection Edition #988

TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 26
Short + Feature: Someone’s Listening
Hacked Circuit and The Conversation
Deborah Stratman conjures a sense of all-pervasive surveillance while giving us a behind-the-scenes look at the work of Foley artists as they create the sound effects for the final scene of The Conversation, Francis Ford Coppola’s seventies paranoia classic.

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 27
Just Another Girl on the I.R.T.
Featuring a new introduction by director Leslie Harris
An ambitious, outspoken, and hilarious young black woman encounters bumps on the road to adulthood in this still-fresh nineties indie classic.

NBHXGkY2J9Y5JF6TlwM8IfpGCVtthm.png

THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 28
Glorious Food!
Just in time for Thanksgiving, feast your eyes on a buffet of some of cinema’s most sumptuous banquets, a smorgasbord of lip-smacking delicacies that delight in the sensual pleasures and social rituals of eating.

Featuring: The Exterminating Angel (Luis Buñuel, 1962), Tom Jones (Tony Richardson, 1963), Daisies (Věra Chytilová, 1966), Garlic Is as Good as Ten Mothers (Les Blank, 1980), My Dinner with Andre (Louis Malle, 1981), Tampopo (Juzo Itami, 1985), Babette’s Feast (Gabriel Axel, 1987), The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (Peter Greenaway, 1989), Yum, Yum, Yum! A Taste of Cajun and Creole Cooking (Les Blank, 1990), Delicatessen (Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro, 1991), Eat Drink Man Woman (Ang Lee, 1994), Big Night (Campbell Scott and Stanley Tucci, 1996), The Secret of the Grain (Abdellatif Kechiche, 2007), Still Walking (Hirokazu Kore-eda, 2008)

H2Gsi5hcYAkqV7xrPXii5fnqX3Jwsf.png

FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 29
Double Feature: Fraud Alert
The Baron of Arizona and F for Fake
The con is on in these tricky tales of forgers and fakes from Samuel Fuller and Orson Welles.

SATURDAY, NOVEMBER 30
Saturday Matinee: A Kid for Two Farthings
Carol Reed directs this East End fairy tale about a young boy who comes into possession of a curiously-horned goat he believes to be a unicorn with the power to grant wishes.

View Comments (0)
Essays
INSIDE CRITERION

I sincerely hope this means we're going to see a lot more of these still MIA deep catalog titles start to trickle out via Criterion on Blu-ray in the new year: yes, to all the Bette Davis titles and the MGM musicals still absent. I think Criterion missed the boat by not including Old Acquaintance among their Davis offerings. Great flick. Maybe next time?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So it was there for all of 2 weeks? And I missed the warning, otherwise I would have watched all the extras? I'm lucky I saw the movie itself and one of the extras... I guess I have to carefully to read the list of movies going away (which I did for December and will definitely watch some of them).
But it is still bizarre - all the other movies that are parts of the "Caught on Tape" collection are still there, Pakula's name is still in the brief text describing the collection. This was really their plan?
Was it only two weeks? Could it have been there longer and we just didn't notice it as the new Criterion Blu-ray was released back in July?

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
“Klute” came onto the channel November 10th. A short time to be sure, but it also had always been listed as leaving Nov 30, so its end date, which can be found on the main screen, had been known the entire time it was on there.

I think that’s just the nature of a service that has to license all of its content. And with a smaller outfit like Criterion, cost to license matters, especially in the wake of FilmStruck failing. You kind of have to be proactive with it, looking at the monthly coming soon emails and knowing what is leaving that month, but the information IS available.

Last edited:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Watched "It's Always Fair Weather" -- one of the expiring in December movies which I had never seen before. Superb transfer and if you aren't offended by musicals, absolutely great.

There are a whole bunch of musicals in the expiring in December list which I have never seen, and I will try to see as many as possible - especially any of the ones with Gene Kelly/Cyd Charisse.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
January 2020 Schedule.

The Criterion Channel’s January 2020 Lineup
INSIDE CRITERION / ON THE CHANNEL — DEC 31, 2019

TWnxwhQBXsnrAaQVWs4HjAh67s2HQZ.jpg

As the 2010s come to a close, we’re welcoming a new decade on the Criterion Channel with a look back at how movies from half a century ago imagined the future in our Seventies Sci-Fi series, featuring strange journeys to outer space, visions of dystopia, and modern classics by Stanley Kubrick, John Carpenter, George Lucas, and other masters of the genre. Also playing are major tributes to art-cinema legends Luis Buñuel and Jane Campion, a centenary celebration of Federico Fellini, breakthrough work by the brilliant young filmmakers Chloé Zhao and Khalik Allah, a new documentary about Paul Schrader by Alex Ross Perry, and much more!

If you haven’t signed up yet, head to CriterionChannel.com and get a 14-day free trial!

* indicates programming available starting February 1
** indicates programming available only in the U.S.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 1
Directed by Susan Seidelman
Featuring a new introduction by the filmmaker
Susan Seidelman first made her mark with her vividly gritty debut, Smithereens (the first American independent film to screen in competition at Cannes), and has continued crafting offbeat comedies built around memorably messy, idiosyncratic women.

Short films: And You Act Like One Too (1976), Yours Truly, Andrea G. Stern (1979). Features: Smithereens (1982), Desperately Seeking Susan (1985), Cookie (1989), She-Devil (1989).

JNx4D7lbbdD0gn0ttpP4B6Ckxdp9jw.jpg

THURSDAY, JANUARY 2
From the Archive: Taxi Driver
With a 1986 audio commentary featuring director Martin Scorsese and screenwriter Paul Schrader
Robert De Niro gives one of his most riveting performances in this powerful study of a dangerously fractured psyche let loose in grimy 1970s New York City.

3 Faces
Streaming premiere
The latest from Iranian metafiction master Jafar Panahi is a slyly comic, quietly revelatory tale of community and solidarity under the eye of oppression.

ifAJFvOuwhoHPAqYrcKkroyZ3zWAyZ.jpg

FRIDAY, JANUARY 3
Double Feature: Preach It!
Elmer Gantry and Wise Blood
Beware of false prophets in a pair of daring adaptations of American literary masterworks.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 4
Saturday Matinee: 12 Angry Men
A behind-closed-doors look at the American legal system that is as riveting as it is spare, Sidney Lumet’s electrifying, iconic adaptation of Reginald Rose’s teleplay stars Henry Fonda as the dissenting member on a heated jury.

hLQZk10ZTvikcriMSyxYYM7fzeDmdW.jpg

SUNDAY, JANUARY 5
Seventies Sci-Fi
Streaming for one month only!

The maverick spirit that defined the New Hollywood of the 1970s resulted in a wave of fascinating, wild, and often way-out-there science-fiction head trips that carried on the radical experimentation of the sixties while paving the way for the blockbuster boom of the eighties. Directors like Stanley Kubrick, George Lucas, John Carpenter, David Cronenberg, and George Miller pushed the boundaries of the genre with visionary space operas, chilling dystopian freak-outs, and mind-bending speculative thrillers that examined the era’s anxieties about technology, consumerism, overpopulation, and environmental collapse. This expansive survey offers a deep dive into a uniquely fertile moment when filmmakers gazed towards the future with awe and terror.

Featuring: No Blade of Grass (Cornel Wilde, 1970), A Clockwork Orange (Stanley Kubrick, 1971), The Omega Man (Boris Sagal, 1971), THX 1138 (George Lucas, 1971), Z.P.G. (Michael Campus, 1972)**, Westworld (Michael Crichton, 1973), Soylent Green (Richard Fleischer, 1973), Dark Star (John Carpenter, 1974), The Terminal Man (Mike Hodges, 1974), Rollerball (Norman Jewison, 1975), A Boy and His Dog (L. Q. Jones, 1975), Death Race 2000 (Paul Bartel, 1975), Shivers (David Cronenberg, 1975), The Ultimate Warrior (Robert Clouse, 1975), Logan’s Run (Michael Anderson, 1976), God Told Me To (Larry Cohen, 1976), Demon Seed (Donald Cammell, 1977), Mad Max (George Miller, 1979)

sJ5lGG56Qsp4TYtvTIOnDJ3gisgZrc.jpg

MONDAY, JANUARY 6
Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957)
Criterion Collection Edition #555

TUESDAY, JANUARY 7
Short + Feature: Family Feuds
The Hypnotist and The Little Foxes
Home is where the betrayal is in a catty Bette Davis classic and a gloriously camp melodrama homage.

IpAfEfmrKoD3ak4bFEbPe2n1SsPwss.jpg

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 8
Directed by Agnès Jaoui
In her wry, sharply observed studies of class and social relationships, actor, writer, and director Agnès Jaoui zeroes in on the follies and foibles of the French bourgeoisie and the neuroses and power plays that consume her hilariously self-absorbed characters.

Featuring: The Taste of Others (2000), Look at Me (2004)**

THURSDAY, JANUARY 9
Three by the Dardenne Brothers
Urgent, unembellished, and uncompromising, these realistic tales set on the margins of society unfold like taut thrillers of the everyday, displaying the searing emotional intensity and deeply felt social conscience that have made Jean-Pierre and Luc Dardenne among the most lauded filmmakers working today.

Featuring: La promesse (1996), L’enfant (2005), The Kid with a Bike (2011)

yvM2Xl32Zudun5Tuwrz3MEDKJhQuMY.jpg

FRIDAY, JANUARY 10
Double Feature: She’s a Femme Fatale
Pandora’s Box and Something Wild
A legendary Louise Brooks performance inspires Jonathan Demme’s freewheeling screwball joyride.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 11
Saturday Matinee: Zazie dans le métro
A brash and precocious ten-year-old (Catherine Demongeot) comes to Paris for a whirlwind weekend with her rakish uncle in Louis Malle’s audacious comedy, packed wall-to-wall with visual gags, editing tricks, and effects.

HOTLLlaKSiDG08AtJVzOdqsKemhPu2.jpg

SUNDAY, JANUARY 12
Directed by Luis Buñuel
Featuring a 1964 profile of Buñuel from the series Cinéastes de notre temps
One of cinema’s great iconoclasts and mischief makers, Spanish master Luis Buñuel combined surrealist non sequiturs with taboo-shattering attacks on the bourgeoisie, the church, and social hypocrisy to create some of the most incendiary films of the twentieth century.

Featuring: L’age d’or (1930), Robinson Crusoe (1954), Death in the Garden (1956), Viridiana (1961), The Exterminating Angel (1962), Diary of a Chambermaid (1964), Simon of the Desert (1965), Belle de jour (1967), The Milky Way (1969), Tristana (1970), The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie (1972), The Phantom of Liberty (1974), That Obscure Object of Desire (1977)
MONDAY, JANUARY 13
Observations on Film Art No. 34: Vampyr—The Genre Film as Experimental Film
Carl Theodor Dreyer’s haunting 1932 masterpiece has long occupied a singular place in film history, resting somewhere at the intersection of horror, avant-garde cinema, and waking nightmare. In this episode of Observations on Film Art, Professor David Bordwell explores how Dreyer managed to honor the conventions of horror cinema while at the same time breaking the boundaries of the genre wide open through his experimental use of sound, shadows, and camera movement.

wBEBzYbJLVO90VDpLZTMz27oiVSecT.jpg

TUESDAY, JANUARY 14
Short + Feature: Colt Classics
Seide and The Black Stallion
There’s no better friend than a horse in these two moving coming-of-age films.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 15
Songs My Brothers Taught Me
The stunning feature debut from Chloé Zhao (The Rider) is a gorgeous, elegiac vision of contemporary Native American struggle and resilience.

pPAaAoyDVYBwhj22lJmLMDD2BcXFEP.jpg

THURSDAY, JANUARY 16
Betty Blue (Jean-Jacques Beineix, 1986)
Criterion Collection Edition #1002

A Dog’s Life
Dogs have their day in these tail-wagging tributes to our furry companions, featuring faithful four-legged friends, killer canines, telepathic pooches, and more.

Including: A Dog’s Life (Charles Chaplin, 1918), Umberto D. (Vittorio De Sica, 1952), Good-bye, My Lady (William A. Wellman, 1956), A Boy and His Dog (L. Q. Jones, 1975), Baxter (Jérôme Boivin, 1989), Le quattro volte (Michelangelo Frammartino, 2010), Heart of a Dog (Laurie Anderson, 2015)

FRIDAY, JANUARY 17
Double Feature: Poison Pens
The Letter and Le Corbeau
Explosive letters have deadly consequences in these dark tales of write and wrong.

ZzfPjdcVXffl9aUeqMxHQg3AmCwLYZ.jpg

SATURDAY, JANUARY 18
Starring Danny Kaye
A beloved, one-of-a-kind entertainer who honed his animated, rapid-fire performance style on the Borscht Belt circuit, Brooklyn-born comedian, actor, dancer, and singer Danny Kaye lit up the screen with his exuberant charm and inventive wit. Perfect for the whole family, this selection of classic Kaye is a riotous testament to a true original whose talent continues to dazzle and delight.

Featuring: Up in Arms (Elliott Nugent, 1944), Wonder Man (H. Bruce Humberstone, 1945), The Kid from Brooklyn (Norman Z. McLeod, 1946), The Secret Life of Walter Mitty (Norman Z. McLeod, 1947), A Song Is Born (Howard Hawks, 1948), Hans Christian Andersen (Charles Vidor, 1952), The Court Jester (Melvin Frank and Norman Panama, 1956)

Saturday Matinee: The Court Jester
Danny Kaye delivers an antic, tongue-twisting tour de force in this uproarious swashbuckling satire.

zeEK0d7ktac8Xio4y0MbbIJFYtIWeK.jpg

SUNDAY, JANUARY 19
Starring Burt Lancaster
Capable of projecting both powerful physicality and gentle sensitivity, Burt Lancaster brought his megawatt star power to a wide array of unforgettable roles, embodying heroes, villains, and morally complex everymen with an innate dignity and gravitas. Moving between Hollywood blockbusters and independent passion projects—many made through his own production company—Lancaster left behind an extraordinary body of work that reflects both his penchant for risk-taking roles and his commitment to progressive social causes.

Featuring: Brute Force (Jules Dassin, 1947), I Walk Alone (Byron Haskin, 1947), Sorry, Wrong Number (Anatole Litvak, 1948), Come Back, Little Sheba (Daniel Mann, 1952)**, From Here to Eternity (Fred Zinnemann, 1953), The Rose Tattoo (Daniel Mann, 1955)**, The Rainmaker (Joseph Anthony, 1956), Sweet Smell of Success (Alexander Mackendrick, 1957), Separate Tables (Delbert Mann, 1958), Elmer Gantry (Richard Brooks, 1960), Birdman of Alcatraz (John Frankenheimer, 1962), The Train (John Frankenheimer, 1964), Seven Days in May (John Frankenheimer, 1964), The Professionals (Richard Brooks, 1966), The Swimmer (Frank Perry, 1968), Conversation Piece (Luchino Visconti, 1974), Atlantic City (Louis Malle, 1980), Local Hero (Bill Forsyth, 1983)

uAe1Cd5bS8mkU2oRfWjVoYcdozvbpz.jpg

MONDAY, JANUARY 20
Creative Marriages
Celebrating Federico Fellini’s 100th birthday!
Cinema’s great husband-and-wife carnival act, Italian maestro Federico Fellini and actress Giulietta Masina gave birth to a new form of filmic expression that blended earthy realism with extravagant flights of surrealist fancy. These twin masterworks document the evolving creative and personal relationship between two indispensable artists whose legacies are forever entwined.

Featuring: La strada (Federico Fellini, 1954), Juliet of the Spirits (Federico Fellini, 1965)

jZmjimlyqp8ci9h4csNhYMLfd3QhgC.jpg

TUESDAY, JANUARY 21
Short + Feature: Guilty Pleasures
Good Intentions and Death of a Cyclist
A stop-motion thriller and a searing Spanish noir explore the dynamics of crime and self-punishment.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 22
Directed by Jane Campion
One of contemporary cinema’s most singular and captivating voices, Jane Campion brings a piercing psychological insight and radiantly expressive visual style to her intense, revelatory explorations of female subjectivity and desire. After becoming the first woman awarded the Palme d’Or at Cannes and only the second to be nominated for an Academy Award for best director, she has continued to fearlessly probe the most intimate dimensions of women’s experiences in ambitious, uncompromising films.

Shorts: An Exercise in Discipline: Peel (1982), Passionless Moments (1983), A Girl’s Own Story (1983). Features: Two Friends (1986), Sweetie (1989), An Angel at My Table (1990), The Piano (1993), The Portrait of a Lady (1996), Holy Smoke (1999), In the Cut (2003).

COH7jj9Hjxu4LIXQKERltMGJQcgUXq.jpg

THURSDAY, JANUARY 23
Four Films by Khalik Allah
Featuring a new interview with the filmmaker
Growing out of his acclaimed work as a photographer documenting the lives of homeless addicts in New York, Khalik Allah’s visionary films are dreamlike drifts through the margins of society—gritty and sublime portraits of the disenfranchised and dispossessed that, in their infinite compassion and philosophical insight, achieve an almost spiritual transcendence.

Featuring: Urban Rashomon (2013), Antonyms of Beauty (2013), Field Niggas (2014), Black Mother (2018)

Panique (Julien Duvivier, 1946)
Criterion Collection Edition #955

VAkIGzYSPbJ8uhRYMkxuxPxDzWPiWC.jpg

FRIDAY, JANUARY 24
Double Feature: Jackpot!
Bay of Angels and Atlantic City
Jacques Demy and Louis Malle spin the roulette wheel of fate in these tales of love and gambling.

SATURDAY, JANUARY 25
Saturday Matinee: Great Expectations
One of the great translations of literature into film, David Lean brings Charles Dickens’s masterpiece to robust, beautifully photographed life.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 26
Meet the Filmmakers: Paul Schrader
A titan of the American cinema who emerged from the ranks of the 1970s movie brats with his era-defining screenplay for Taxi Driver, writer-director Paul Schrader has pursued a defiantly singular vision in his provocative explorations of guilt and salvation in a soul-sick world. In this episode of Meet the Filmmakers, director Alex Ross Perry (Her Smell, Listen Up Philip) visits the ever-iconoclastic auteur on the set of his acclaimed latest film, First Reformed, where Schrader reflects on the highs and lows of his legendary career.

Directed by Paul Schrader
One of American cinema’s most provocative moral philosophers, Paul Schrader has, for over forty years, probed the guilty soul of the modern world in a relentless search for existential meaning. Grappling with weighty themes of faith, violence, sin, and redemption, Schrader’s films are fascinating windows into his personal obsessions.

Featuring: Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976), Hardcore (1979), American Gigolo (1980)*, Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (1985), Patty Hearst (1988), The Comfort of Strangers (1990)*, Light Sleeper (1992)*, Auto Focus (2002)**, Adam Resurrected (2008)

jT3ef637NEXArEZZRnObPyPMA4EMPu.jpg

MONDAY, JANUARY 27
The Fugitive Kind (Sidney Lumet, 1960)
Criterion Collection Edition #515

TUESDAY, JANUARY 28
Short + Feature: Prime Cuts
Carving Magic and Delicatessen
A meat lover’s special of atomic-age kitsch and surreal French whimsy.

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 29
Fat Girl (Catherine Breillat, 2001)
Criterion Collection Edition #259

eANA5aZtywVb4IeYa8o5VKFYGMnUsY.jpg

THURSDAY, JANUARY 30
Until the End of the World (Wim Wenders, 1991)
Criterion Collection Edition #1007

FRIDAY, JANUARY 31
Double Feature: One Play, Two Masterpieces
The Lower Depths (Jean Renoir) and The Lower Depths (Akira Kurosawa)
Jean Renoir and Akira Kurosawa offer searing visions of life on the bottom rung of society.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
Going to spend the night watching some titles expiring on the 31st and crossing my fingers they aren’t too strict about the time ;)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Going to spend the night watching some titles expiring on the 31st and crossing my fingers they aren’t too strict about the time ;)
We greatly enjoyed The Bear & The Three Musketeers

Can't wait for a number of next months shows including the Burt Lancaster extravaganza

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
I think Criterion continues to do a good job keeping customers informed of movies coming and going. The list of movies leaving Jan 31 was up on Jan 1, easily found on the main page.

Last edited:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
The pic immediately below “OBSERVATIONS ON FILM ART” with the number 34 circled, what film is that?

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Couple of complaints:

English/CC subtitles for English language movies on the Criterion Channel don't work on AppleTV 4K - example - Cookie (great movie, BTW) - I was at my mom's and at 86 she needs subtitles - her hearing needs help. I complained to Criterion - their response:
As it turns out, what you are experiencing is a current incompatibility between us and Apple. Currently, Apple TV requires that subtitles be "muxed" or integrated into the video stream via our backend, so they actually get enfolded into the stream dynamically. Although we don’t have a specific timeframe, this is something we are actively working on and hope to release soon.

As an alternative, I would suggest playing them on your other devices with our app until this is something we are able to support.
I'm glad they are doing something about it - but I saw complaints dating back to June - and they still haven't fixed it. Don't know of any other app with the same bug: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250416215

Second - every single device on both mine and my mom's account forced us to "Activate your account:" at the beginning of the month. Again, not an issue with other streaming apps...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Couple of complaints:

English/CC subtitles for English language movies on the Criterion Channel don't work on AppleTV 4K - example - Cookie (great movie, BTW) - I was at my mom's and at 86 she needs subtitles - her hearing needs help. I complained to Criterion - their response:

I'm glad they are doing something about it - but I saw complaints dating back to June - and they still haven't fixed it. Don't know of any other app with the same bug: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250416215

Second - every single device on both mine and my mom's account forced us to "Activate your account:" at the beginning of the month. Again, not an issue with other streaming apps...
Yeah, the lack of subtitles on ATV units has been a PITA issue from the beginning.

As to your other issue, the TCM app makes you "Log-In" every month too.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have been wondering about the lack of subtitles on TCC. I always watch movies with subtitles on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks