1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Criterion Announces New Stand-Alone Streaming Service: The Criterion Channel

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by dpippel, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Worth

Worth Cinematographer

Nick Dobbs
    I got the same thing via Roku the other day. I was really looking forward to this service, but I'm pretty disappointed so far. Apple TV stutters (same with iPad and iPhone), Roku won't play straight through without interruption, and it doesn't let me connect my laptop via HDMI because of stupid copy protection.

2. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Yeah I just ended up unsubscribing during the free period. I kept having issues with the connection. Netflix and Amazon Prime Movies stream flawlessly from the same setup so I know it's not on my end. Unfortunate because the content is amazing.

3. Message #223 of 231 May 13, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That has been my issue, too -- more things to watch than I have time for, even now that I am retired. The Criterion Channel intrigued me, but I did not sign up as a charter member. The trial period fell when were going to be spending most of April in South Carolina, so I knew I wouldn't watch it hardly at all during that trial period. I have a few discs and a bunch of digital content I haven't watched yet, and other things going on in my life that take up time, too -- golf, travel, assisting my elderly parents, etc.

I only pay for two streaming subscriptions, and one of those is Amazon Prime, which I consider more than just a video subscription service (free shipping, music streaming, etc.). I also subscribe to NHL.tv during the hockey season so I can watch my favorite team -- the out of market Montreal Canadiens. I could see maybe adding one more rotating streaming service in the future if there are programs we really want to see -- for example, I will probably add HBO Now for a month to catch the final season of Game of Thrones once we finish re-watching the earlier seasons (we are on Season 5 right now). The Criterion Channel could be one of those services I rotate in for a month or two.

4. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

My charter membership is partly a vote of confidence in the idea of The Criterion Channel - and what it could (should) be, given enough time and tinkering. Ideally everything would be smooth out of the gate, but many streaming services don’t hit the ground running. As I’ve mentioned elsewhere, HBO Now had a prolonged debut plagued with sub-par video and device incompatibility, but found its footing eventually.

The addition of Chromecast reinvigorated my enthusiasm. As for not getting around to watching the films, that’s an issue I have with all streaming services, but considering the content on TCC, I have fewer good excuses.

For the record, I’m not having as many issues with buffering that some others seem to have. If I did, i.e. if the movies were unwatchable, I would probably reconsider my “high-minded” membership. After a year, I’ll take a look at the service and do another appraisal.

5. Tom Logan

Tom Logan Stunt Coordinator

Problem: Unable to switch on subtitles if I'm watching a film w/commentary.
    • Amazon Fire Stick
    • Film: In a Lonely Place
    • Commentary: Dana Polan
    I'm guessing subtitles are not available when watching w/commentary track, but any help appreciated. :)

6. SultanOfWhat

SultanOfWhat Agent

Matt
    Criterion has made a big upgrade to the Criterion Channel website, as they now list all films available. I went through about half of them, and added a few dozen to my list.

Streaming was flawless for the last film I watched (David Lean's Great Expectations), so hopefully things will improve as the service matures.

7. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

Chromecast support is broken again. The app wasn't updated as far as I can tell, and the cast icon is still there, but many people on forums (including myself) can no longer stream movies. After connecting and tapping play, the movie appears to load for a second on the TV, but then the app disconnects from casting almost immediately and the following message appears in the app: "Could not play video over Chromecast" - an error I've not seen before.

This is pretty discouraging, I was looking forward to parking myself in front of the TV and continuing some of the collections. I've written their support team and update this thread if I hear anything back.

8. sleroi

sleroi Second Unit

Gavin Kopp
    Thanks Steve. I thought I was going crazy. I finally signed up last week when I read that the Chromecast issue had been addressed. Watched a few shorts just fine.

Then I spent a few days in the hospital while my wife had a knee replaced and couldnt watch on my phone because of playback not supported error. And when I got back home yesterday I couldnt Chromecast.

Its frustrating, but i was still in my free trial, so im not out any money. I emailed them and put in my cancellation comments that I really want to support them, and plan to resubscribe if they can figure this out, I simply cant pay for something I cant use right now.

The funny thing is I know i can buy a pretty inexpensive roku or a firestick for the same price as a blu ray from Twilight Time. But psychologically its the principle of the matter. I already have a Chromecast and dont want to buy a new device just to watch their channel.

I can wait a few months, their movies will still be there.

9. Steve Y

Steve Y Supporting Actor

I just heard back from their customer support. They informed me they had just rolled out a server side fix for this issue, and right now it's working for me again (!). I am using a Chromecast Ultra with Android 9 (Kernel 4). They also provided a list of "tips" for people who still don't have success. Here's what they sent me:
    • Log out then log back in
    • Force quit or close the app
    • Restart your device
    • Exit the app, turn your device’s WiFi off then on, and open the app again
    • Check if there is an update for the app (via the iTunes App Store or Google Play Store)
    • Uninstall the app and download a fresh copy
    • Make sure your device's OS version is compatible with our app. For iOS, the OS version must be 10.0 or higher. For Android, it must be 4.3 or higher
    I hope this is helpful for people.

sleroi likes this.
  10. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  11. Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod Supporting Actor

Jim
    My problem is that I keep having to log back into the service. This gets old. It happens if I do not access the channel for more than one day.