What's new

Criterion 50% Sale and B&N 11/1 to 11/21 (1 Viewer)

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I don't know why I didn't take advantage of this the last time, but this time around I signed up for the free 2-month trial. I've picked up Charade and The Magician on Blu-ray and Night Train to Munich on DVD. Crazy good deals on Criterion discs when you add the member discount and a coupon on top of the 50% off.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
The fact that the sale ends 2 days before Criterion releases that great America Lost and Found Box makes me sad...

Looking forward to grabbing Modern Times.

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I had my eye on that America Lost and Found box set myself. Oh well, next May perhaps.

But has anyone noticed how B/N seems to very aggressively be going after online orders and undercutting Amazon on many items now, plus free shipping? I got Springsteen's CD release "The Promise" for $8.99 free shipping and the new Bee Gees box set "Mythology" for $32 (it's $45 on Amazon). These were with 10% coupons, but those are easy to find. DVD and BD prices at B/N.com are now extemely competitive online, and when you stack a coupon, often below Amazon. I think they are taking a serious shot at that business. Good luck, right? But it's all good for us consumers.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'd gorged myself at the start of the sale, but went back for seconds today. The Night of the Hunter Blu-ray is already on back-order, but I was able to order it at the store for free shipment to my house and still get my member discount. I hadn't noticed before that this one is a $50 list price, but with the sale, discount, and coupons, it netted out at a sweet $19.10. For that, I can wait. I now have a beautiful backlog of Criterions to get me through the winter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I'd gorged myself at the start of the sale, but went back for seconds today. The Night of the Hunter Blu-ray is already on back-order, but I was able to order it at the store for free shipment to my house and still get my member discount. I hadn't noticed before that this one is a $50 list price, but with the sale, discount, and coupons, it netted out at a sweet $19.10. For that, I can wait. I now have a beautiful backlog of Criterions to get me through the winter.

Hadn't realized I could use a coupon on a backorder like that or I would've done that as well the other night. Hmmm... Maybe I could still do that at my nearby B&N, which doesn't normally carry any BDs at all (let alone Criterions). Which coupon did you use? The 15% one? Or the $5 one?

Thanks for the heads up, Chas.

_Man_

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I wish I could answer with more accuracy, but I don't have the receipt handy. I walked in with four coupons printed from that site at the top of the thread, and somehow or other the sales clerk managed to apply all or most of them to last night's purchase of 2 Criterion DVDs, the Criterion Blu-ray for shipment, and one other el-cheapo DVD.

FYI, my favorite B&Ns in the outer Gotham area in Criterion Season are Paramus NJ and Newburgh NY, which of course require an afternoon of driving and sightseeing, but I combine it with other things and thoroughly enjoy it. I think both of them maintain solid Criterion and Blu-ray sections year-round, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks