1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crisis On Infinite Earths - Arrowverse Crossover 2019

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Garysb, Aug 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Message #121 of 200 Dec 9, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

I don't know why they decided to destroy the Lazarus pits on Earth 1 if the writers keep bringing it back. Roy last season, now Oliver.
    I like all the references made in the episode such as Kingdom Come Superman mentioning he fought himself before which I assume is a reference to the Christopher Reeve Superman movie, Superman 3.
    I think the introduction of Kevin Conroy, where you hear the voice before seeing him was perfect. In fact I thought he sounded the most like the animated Batman during that first scene then he did in the rest of the episode.
    I do have some pluses and minuses about this episode. The integration of supporting characters was still done better on Crisis On Earth X. All of Supergirl's cast from episode 1 disappear in this episode. Iris shows up out of nowhere and thinks more about how Oliver dying early may mean Barry will live while showing no sympathy or mention of her friend Felicity, who just lost her husband. Still pissed at Oliver and Felicity hogging in on their wedding, no doubt. The Rory (Heatwave) in this episode is from another Earth but he is exactly like the Legends Rory. Loved Leonard Snart as the voice of the Wave Rider's computer. Constantine just shows up. Barry Allen has had little to do so far, presumably he will be featured tomorrow on The Flash episode.
    Mia is back on Earth 1 but notifies no one that Oliver has died.

TVline just published the dates of when shows return after the upcoming break. The Flash doesn't resume until February 4th after Arrow ends. Is this significant? The other Arrowverse shows resume in January. I know the Arrow finale will be proceeded by a tribute/clip show but there is no new Flash episode the prior week when the Mia pilot airs. Maybe the CW didn't want to air one new The Flash episode and then take another week off.

As for problems hearing the episode on the CW. I assume the CW is like the other networks and transmits it's shows via satellite to its affiliates. Everyone should be seeing the same quality sound and picture unless the local station's equipment has a problem. There are usually East and West Coast feeds. The East, Central, and Mountain Time Zones use the East Coast feed.

2. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    That would be Superman 3.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  3. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Thank you for the correction. I have updated my post. I admit I have only watched the 1st 2 films in recent decades.

4. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    It looks like it's got to do with juggling Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow occupying the same time slot.

January 14th is the Arrow/Legends Crisis finale.

January 21st is Arrow at 8 (Mia spinoff episode) and Legends season premiere at 9.

January 28th is Arrow retrospective at 8 and finale at 9.

Starting February 4th, the regular Tuesday line up will be Flash at 8, Legends at 9.

NeilO likes this.
  5. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I really liked the original Michael Keaton Batman theme music used when Kara and Kate were approaching Wayne Manor. That was very cool.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  6. Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell Cinematographer

Kevin Hewell
    Tim Burton

And the John Williams music in Metropolis. They've done a wonderful job on the music.

Richard V likes this.
  7. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    My CW affiliate has a lot of issues, but fortunately tonight everything was clear. The episode should be available to stream tomorrow
    for free on the CW App. Sorry that happened to you.[/QUOTE]

Then, it sounds like I wasn't the only person who experienced issues with The CW last night. At first, I thought it might be all the cable channels so I started switching to other stations but I noticed that the glitch didn't affect any of the episode trailers or commercials that CW was airing. After the first batch of commercials, the "clicking" disappeared but I had lost out on a big chunk of the episode so I just turned it off. I'll binge-watch the first three episodes sometime tomorrow, alternatively.

But, that was Wentworth Miller as the voice of the ship? I thought his voice sounded familiar but I had a hard time placing the voice. That's hilarious.

This is exactly why I hate watching first-run broadcast live TV for the television shows that I enjoy. But, Crisis on Infinite Earths was the only reason why I tuned in this time but The CW kind of ruined the experience for me. But, this was the first time the episodes were broadcast so the network should not have had any problems. The audio technical glitch was literally driving me nuts. It felt like someone scratching their fingernails across a blackboard, consecutively for like five minutes. I ended up turning it off.

But, as far as when the Flash returns ... here's what I found out:

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/flash-season-6-midseason-premiere-delayed-when-will-it-return-after-crisis-infinite-earths-1672948

8. Gary Seven

Gary Seven Grand Poo Pah

Gaston
    What I found amusing from last night's episode is that Lex Luthor, the man who was killing Supermen, was taken down by being bonked on the head from behind, by a powerless woman. In typical fashion, the CW never disappoints.

9. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

Anyway the second ep was much better then the first I thought.
    First one had too much of the script needing to keep the players occupied by having them chase shadow ghosts around.

I loved Routh as Superman Returns Superman who ages to become Kingdom Come Superman.

Was a little disappointed in Conroy’s Batman voice.
    It didn’t sound like His version of Batman even a little bit.

Is there a list of the connection of the Earth’s to their number?

Most are pretty obvious, Earth-96, Earth-66 etc but some of the the others not so much.

DavidJ likes this.
  10. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Wasn’t that music used when Knox was sitting on the bench just before Earth-89 got zapped.

11. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    It added insult to injury. Lex got knocked out by a non-superpowered woman. During Hour 2, I laughed my arse off at that WTF moment when Lex tosses Clark Kent (Smallville) the Kryptonite rock. When I saw that, the first thought that ran through my head was that the Kryptonite from one universe might not affect the Superman in another universe as each would have their own quantum signatures, their own effects. The expression on Lex's face was also a "WTF just happened, Clark is holding the rock with no effect" and then he just says "I gave up my powers long ago for my family".

Thing is, the kryptonite should have still made Clark weak from the exposure to the radiation from his home planet. Since he's still, biologically, a Kryptonian, he should still have been affected by the rock. The radiation affecting Superman and Supergirl is just a side benefit of the radiation. But, this has been a plot device that has been carried through all of the iterations of the movies and television shows. I'm probably reading too much into this but it's a sound theory. I just think that the writers weren't doing their own research when they wrote that particular scene for Tom Welling. I think it was more to give the fans something to gloat over and to see Lex get knocked on his arse. It was a funny scene, I have to admit.

12. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Here is an interview with Brandon Routh taped today 12/10/19 . He talks about Superman and confirms that he finished filming as Ray Palmer on Legends in October.

13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    More wonderful faces from the past (John Wesley Shipp) tonight and some excitement, too. No big surprise with the villain reveal, but otherwise it held my attention throughout.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  14. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    The number of TV shows represented in this crossover is amazing.

Supergirl, Batwoman, Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow
    Black Lightning
    Smallville
    Flash (1990)
    Batman (1966)
    Titans (DCU streaming)
    Constantine
    Lucifer
    Birds of Prey

That's 13 (and I might be forgetting some), not to mention the two spinoffs planned for next season (Green Arrow and Superman). And I'm not even getting into the movies here.

15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This crossover hasn't been what I expected, but I'm really enjoying it. I actually think that "Crisis on Earth-X" had a lot more sheer spectacle than this has had thus far. Most of the episodes are characters standing around and talking on standing sets.

That being said, the characters standing around talking are so interesting, and we have such an investment in so many of them, that I'm still at the edge of my seat.

The one thing that struck me at the end of this episode is that I have no idea how things are going to shake out once the anti-Monitor is defeated. After the "Supergirl" episode, I thought the destruction of the anti-matter wave actually would stick since all of the key characters from that show were accounted. But now everything is wiped out. There's just no way they're not going to reverse at least some of it.

The centerpiece of this episode, appropriately enough, was the death of Earth-90 Flash on the cosmic treadmill.

The 1990 "Flash" series bridged that gap between what the George Reeves "Superman" did and what the Arrowverse shows are doing now. And the current "Flash" series has so embraced that legacy, with John Wesley Shipp playing two other doppelgangers of his Barry Allen starting with the pilot, and the Earth-1 doppelgangers of Tina McGee and Julio Mendez brought in at various points. The original series was such a trailblazer, without the benefit of 21st century visual effects, and to see Shipp's journey with this character brought full circle was really powerful. And I love that they went back to the archives and scanned in the original film elements for that brief flashback to the original series in high definition, rather than just cropping, deinterlacing, and upscaling the 480i footage.

The Arrowverse has such a deep bench of things that have been tried and explored over the years that this crossover can go to some pretty crazy places and not feel like a cheat, because all of the building blocks have been previously established on one of the component shows. The whole process for bringing Oliver back to life -- now on hold -- played out with both Thea Queen and Sara Lance over multiple episodes. So we know how it's supposed to work, and then what happens changes that.

Likewise, the Vanishing Point played a huge role in the first, lackluster season of "Legends of Tomorrow" and then was promptly forgotten about. But when the crossover event needs a time and place outside of existence, there's a perfect candidate waiting in the wings.

The Spectre played a crucial role in the original comics "Crisis on Infinite Earths". Making Oliver the host for the TV adaptation rather than Jim Corrigan feels like a smart way to keep Oliver centralized in the final two hours, given that he's the superhero that kicked all of this off, and this is essentially his swan song.

They really pulled a Star Trek Into Darkness with the "Lucifer" cameo; once the news leaked, with Tom Ellis flat out denying his participation in the crossover to "Entertainment Tonight" when the news leaked. That being said, him and Constantine were the perfect pairing for that scene.

Black Lightning really felt like a full fledged member of the crossover, which was great. I loved how the episode captured the gravitas of the character, and the strength of character embodied by the school teacher who inspired hopeless teenagers in Freeland to aspire to something greater was able to shine through.

We don't know what circumstances led to him being de-powered. Given that he has children with his Lois, that were presumably conceived naturally, it's entirely possible (even probable) that whatever happened made him biologically human.

In the case of the Earth-38 Superman, it seemed like Argo City's doctors needed to intervene to make Jonathan possible, and the gestation had to occur under a synthesized red sun so that the baby would be depowered in the womb. Less clear is the circumstances that resulted in Lois conceiving Jason on Earth-96.

He will definitely be missed as Ray Palmer.

But it speaks to how great of a job he does as Superman that I was actually disappointed by the episode-ending twist that his place as paragon has been replaced by Lex Luthor. I think Jon Cryer's Lex Luthor is fantastic, maybe the best live action portrayal of the character ever. Normally, I'd want more of his Lex under any circumstances. But tonight I was just disappoint that we weren't going to get more of Routh's Superman.

16. Garysb

Garysb Producer

My thoughts about the Crisis so far is there is too much plot to fit into the time allotted. The episodes keep jumping from brief scene to scene and it leaves me wanting more. I agree with Adam that for the most part people are standing around giving exposition about what is happening in the world. I think the plot of Crisis would have been better served if perhaps the 1st episode of Arrow this season was the start of Crisis. Have Arrow set a few months ahead of the other shows and make the season take place all in one week. As the season progresses time would catch up on the other shows. If it were possible have Barry , Kate, or some of their supporting players visit Arrow for a scene or two. I think that would give the story a chance to breath.
    Supporting characters popping in an episode and then disappearing the next episode is just bizarre. Its happened in previous crossovers but it has never been as awkward as it has been here.

DavidJ likes this.
  17. TonyD

Supporter

Tony D.
    Me too. I really liked S Returns and seeing him in this was great.
    I felt he was really the one that made this whole thing feel BIG. .
    This is essentially the Christopher Reeve version and now they actually killed him out.

I think out of any of these versions that one should have lived it out all the way through a natural age death off screen at some point.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, I forgot to mention how great it was when Lucifer popped up, and his and Constantine's chemistry was off the charts. Would love to see those two wisecrackers face off much more often.

NeilO likes this.
  19. NeilO

NeilO Producer

That was my favorite appearance of the event so far. I yelled in excitement when he appeared. My wife wondered what was wrong :)

20. NeilO

NeilO Producer

Well, now that we've seen all Earths wiped out in The Flash everyone appears to be on an even footing. We know that they will bring back at least one Earth, but I've no idea if they are going to bring back more. I thought the Smallville crossover was nicely done.

The excitement of this series made me search to find where I stored my Crisis issues in the house. I will read those again for the first time in many years.

Kara thinking about using the Book of Destiny to bring back her universe was a bit short sited at that time. She could have succeeded only to see it wiped out again by the Anti-Monitor. Stop him first, then try to fix everything else.

ponset likes this.