1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Crisis On Infinite Earths - Arrowverse Crossover 2019

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Garysb, Aug 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. NeilO

NeilO Producer

From the preview of next week's Black Lightning episode, it appears to show quite a decent amount of Crisis impact there. I suspect it explains his appearance in Crisis.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

NeilO likes this.
  3. Message #103 of 200 Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

Still Another Trailer.

4. Message #104 of 200 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

Sneak peak. Beware of minor spoilers.

5. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

For those looking to watch (or re-watch) last year's crossover event in preparation for "Crisis on Infinite Earths" (starting tomorrow!), the correct order and episodes are as follows:
    1. The Flash Season 5: Episode 9 - "Elseworlds, Part 1"
    2. Arrow Season 7: Episode 9 - "Elseworlds, Part 2"
    3. Supergirl Season 4: Episode 9 - "Elseworlds, Part 3"
    All three episodes are currently available to stream commercial-free on Netflix.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  6. Message #106 of 200 Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

7. Message #107 of 200 Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

And yet another clip. At this rate they will be giving away the whole 1st episode clip by clip. Again nothing new is spoiled. Same information is disclosed in the different clips. This clip takes place ahead of the clip in post 104. Clip in 104 could be a continuation of this clip.
    []
    When Argo is about to be destroyed Superman and Lois send baby Jonathan to Earth in an escape pod (rocket) thus repeating how Superman came to Earth. At the last second Lyla saves Superman and Lois after the baby leaves.

8. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm always blown away at how fast the hour (well, 40 minutes) moves when it comes to the crossover events. That was absolutely breakneck.

It made sense to start the crossover with the "Supergirl" episode, since Earth-38 was an "expendable" Earth. The way they resolved that was really interesting. I thought they'd bring National City and maybe Metropolis from Earth-38 to Earth-1. But the ship-based evacuation means that roughly 40 percent of Earth-38's population is in orbit around Earth-1. That's a massive upheaval to "Supergirl", but it's also a massive upheaval to Earth-1, which is going from under 8 billion people to nearly 11 billion people overnight. It also raises interesting questions about the back half of the season for "Supergirl", since presumably all of the show's standing sets are obsolete. Earth-1 doesn't have a DEO, so that's a major procedural element of the show that's out the window. And Earth-1 doesn't have a CatCo Worldwide Media, so Kara is also out of a job. While all of the series regulars appear to have survived, they'll presumably find themselves in very different circumstances post-Crisis.

The other upside to starting with "Supergirl" is it tends to be the weakest of the five component shows, in terms of writing and execution. So, as great at this was, it's probably all up from here.

I'm guessing that there was a rights issue with Robert Wuhl's cameo as Alexander Knox on Earth-89, since the newspaper he was holding on set had a photo of Michael Keaton as Bruce Wayne, and the headline was about Bruce Wayne marrying Selina Kyle.

I loved that Burt Ward was playing a retired Dick Grayson on Earth-66.

Hopefully the Anti-Monitor's strategy differs with each attack. Seeing the heroes fight the wraiths over and over again would start to feel redundant.

Loved the conversation between Clark and Kara on the balcony at the DEO. Loved Clark and Lois getting their Jor-El and Lara moment on Argo City. The decision to kill of Alura right of the gate was a good way to indicate that they're not playing around.

With regard to the major death at the end of the episode:
    There's no way that sticks. The "Arrow" episode of the crossover is after the break, and then the series has two more episodes after that. Oliver's going to be a part of, at minimum, the crossover episode and the "Arrow" series finale.

I do think it's possible that his revival, in whatever form that takes, doesn't happen until after the break. This crossover is already juggling a ton of characters. Taking one off the board is actually helpful from a storytelling perspective.

9. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yes, a very busy and engrossing episode. For someone like me who has left all of these individual shows behind, there were some new regular characters to sort out, but I managed okay. Looking forward to all of the rest of the episodes.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  10. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    I think they found a good balance of being a crossover episode and an individual series episode (or at least better than previous Supergirl tie-ins). I thought they were going to end up doing it like Crisis on Earth-X, which was basically a TV movie mini-series where they didn't care who showed up in certain episodes. But this first part still felt like a Supergirl episode to some extent with special guest stars. I don't normally watch Supergirl, but it felt like that series just got taken along for the ride in the crossovers.

And it's been a while since I've read Crisis, but I do remember the shadow creatures and fortresses. They really did as close to an adaptation of issue 1 as they could within the confines of the Arrowverse.

It was strange, though, for Flash to have such a minimal role in the crossover so far.

But part two -- animated Batman and movie Superman, wrapped up in Kingdom Come?

11. Message #111 of 200 Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    Garysb

Garysb Producer

I noticed they didn't really use age make up on 2046 alternate Universe Oliver Queen. He really didn't look much different from Earth 1 present day Oliver and he looked nothing like he did in Season 1 of Legends where he last appeared.

As far as Oliver's death is concerned I am sure he will be back. Not next episode perhaps but he is in The Flash episode on Tuesday. They have already released set photos of Oliver with Mia, Diggle, and Constantine which we have posted earlier in this thread. Also TVline has posted pictures of Stephen Amell in episode 3, The Flash episode. Maybe it is a flashback , another Oliver, or the characters imagining Oliver, or maybe Constantine conjures Oliver up. Stephen Amell is not finished with Crisis.[​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Thanks for this! :)

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  13. Garysb

Garysb Producer

Part 2 of 5: On Batwoman, the group uses Ray’s invention to track new recruits; The Monitor sends Iris, Clark and Lois in search of a mysterious Kryptonian; Lex Luthor returns; Smallville‘s Tom Welling and Erica Durance, and Kevin Conroy (Batman: The Animated Series), guest-star.

I am guessing Iris, Clark and Lois are sent to find Kingdom Come Superman but find Smallville‘s Tom Welling and Erica Durance first. After a scene or two they realize they are not who they are looking for and move on.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

A reminder that if you're watching/DVRing the crossover event, also record tonight's episode of "Black Lightning". It deals with the Crisis, and leads directly into Part 3 of "Crisis" tomorrow night on "The Flash".

15. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    The scenes with characters from other shows or movies (Robert Wuhl, Burt Ward, the Titans on Earth-9 in the streaming show) were the exact types of cameos I was hoping to see from the Marvel TV shows in Infinity War and/or Endgame. (Back when I still believed that the Marvel Television productions were actually part of the same MCU timeline as the movies.)

16. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Well, managed to get 10 minutes into the second hour of the crossover but The CW network in my area, the audio went out and all I could hear was a bunch of "CLICK, CLICK, CLICKING". This is in Michigan. I think The CW (236 on XFinity) either got a bad episode or their programming is having technical difficulties. The CLICKING audio glitch wouldn't clear up and it was giving me a headache.

Anyone else experience this with tonight's episode (Hour 2)?

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I enjoyed tonight's episode (the "Batwoman" hour) even more than the opener (the "Supergirl" hour). If last night was about big pyrotechnics, tonight was about what a multi-verse really means: paths taken and not taken.

We got two Earths where 2019 was further ahead in the timeline than Earth-1 and Earth-38. One featured a version of the Kingdom Come Batman. The other (the Superman Returns universe) featured a version of the Kingdom Come Superman. Future Batman gave in to hopelessness and despair, became as bad as the monsters he hunted. Future Superman faced almost unimaginable loss, and found a way to persevere as an enduring symbol of truth, justice, and the American way.

And then there was the "Smallville" Clark Kent, who found peace by hanging up the cape. As great as it was to see him content and at peace, settled on the farm with his wife and daughters, there's a pretty dark undertone knowing that the Earth where we spent seasons is probably going to get wiped from existence.

There was such gravitas for all three characters, because of the history the performers had with the roles. To a generation, Kevin Conroy is Batman. Seeing him play this version of Bruce Wayne is especially dispiriting, because of how much he means to the little kid inside of us. It makes the impact of his failure so much more powerful. Those scenes were the reason this had to be the "Batwoman" episode. And the Kryptonite that Kate brought back with her represents a certain temptation: She's more like Bruce in certain ways than she'd like to admit. And being surrounded by godlike beings has a way of making you want to take out an insurance policy.

One of the secret weapons of Superman Returns was that, as a de facto sequel to the Christopher Reeve movies, it got to use the iconic John Williams themes. Hearing that music here on Earth-96 instantly made Routh's Superman even more Superman-y than the other Supermen. It's a ballsy move, making an alternate reality Superman more important than the Superman we've spent a few seasons with. But it makes the crossover event feel bigger, that some of these special appearances are more than just cameos. And it honors all of the contributions that Brandon Routh has made to the Arrowverse as Ray Palmer over the years, letting him get some resolution with the character after his tenure wearing the cape was cut so short. And his Kingdom Come Superman uniform is so much better than the one Bryan Singer stuck him with.

They're halfway to bringing Oliver Queen back; his body is alive again, now they just need to retrieve his soul. It's fun having John Constantine in the mix for that subplot. I think part of the problem is that they were trying to restore his soul on Earth-18, but his soul is on Earth-1. The last episode of "Arrow" made a big deal out of the energy discharges coming off Lian Yu weakening the walls between the living and the dead. If Constantine's power is weakened by Crisis, that's probably the best spot to try and reunite Oliver's body and soul.

My CW affiliate has a lot of issues, but fortunately tonight everything was clear. The episode should be available to stream tomorrow
    for free on the CW App. Sorry that happened to you.

18. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I was about to give up hope for Episode 2, not because of the writing or performing (which was quite wonderful and very moving for me having grown up with all of these Clarks and Bruces at various periods in my own life), but because my local affiliate was having transmission trouble with really bad pixilization for the first ten minutes. I thought I was going to have to shut things down and then watch On Demand tomorrow. Glad things cleared up.

Great to hear Wentworth Miller taunting Mick as the on-board computer.

Richard V likes this.
  19. Chip_HT

Chip_HT Supporting Actor

Chip
    Kevin Conroy using "the voice" was chilling in his opening scene.

Adam Lenhardt likes this.
  20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

For those who don't watch "Black Lightning": Tonight's episode was all about Crisis, but not in a way that impacted the crossover event. You can skip the episode and not miss anything. The title character only got zapped out in the last five seconds or so.

Instead, it explored doppelganger versions of the "Black Lightning" characters on three Earths on the verge of destruction, to explore different decisions made by the characters in response to the events of the season so far. A good episode, but very self-contained.

It does raise interesting implications for that show, though, and the future of the crossover:
    The episode ends with all three Earths shown, including the main "Black Lightning" Earth, being erased by the anti-matter wave. And unlike "Supergirl", where all of the series regulars were evacuated to Earth-1 in time, none of the characters here are evacuated in time. The episode ends with Black Lightning getting snatched by the Monitor, his omega-level metahuman daughter trapped in the space between dimensions, and the whole rest of the cast erased from existence.

It makes it highly unlikely that the crossover event won't undo some of the destruction from the anti-matter wave, since I highly doubt "Black Lightning" will have a cast of two going forward.