What's new

Crimson Tide and Enemy of the State SEs due 5/4 (but POSTPONED) (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Patrick has the announcement and large front cover up on his site and it looks like a Denzel Washington tie-in since it's being rereleased with a Remember the Titans Special Edition.

Too bad there isn't a Gene Hackman tie-in so we could also get Enemy of the State. What's Will Smith doing? Tony Scott isn't necessarily a household name for any tie in. ("From the Director of Domino"!)
-

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks much for the tip, Keith.

Curious, annoying and typical Di$ney. Technically this isn't a tie-in, as that usually refers to a catalog title being (re-)released in conjunction with the home vid debut of a new theatrical. This is a manufactured opportunity created via their curious decision to re-release Titans on disc, even though that pic's first DVD already had an anamorphic transfer, two commentaries and DTS.

I don't get it.

But I'm of course happy about the Crimson SE. But instead of the Titans re-release, I'd just rather see Enemy. Or Quiz Show, or He Got Game, or The Horse Whisperer . . . or any number of pre-2000 non-anamorphic, movie only Di$ney DVDs that have yet to be done right.

I'm keeping the Korbel corked: here's hoping Di$ney won't scrub this release in late February, perhaps because they wanna turn around and not announce it for BD in, say, August.

". . . drop that f*cker . . . twice"
-p

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
LOL. I bought Crimson Tide about a month ago FIGURING the SE would finally get announced. It's one of my most superstitious purchases ever :)

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
There are seven deleted scenes on the current R2 edition, but they're nothing too explosive. In fact, they're just plain boring, featuring stuff about Cob's weight for example. Unless there's something really good sitting in the vaults, this extended cut will be a waste of time.

But if the new R1 has some decent extras like Scott's commentary and a new documentary then I'll probably buy it (the R2 has about half an hour of fluffy featurettes as well as the deleted scenes). That cover art is bloody awful though.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
COB's weight? George Dzundza carrying a few extra pounds aside, isn't it Marichek's weight that's an issue in the pic? "And Mr. Hunter--it was Marichek's 300 pounds that killed him. Not the fire."

Also, has anyone seen the 1995 TV docu on Crimson? Is this any good and might it be part of the supps on this DVD?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0188873/

-p

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to an anamorphic release of Crimson Tide -- however, I'm not impressed with Disney/Vista film-based DVDs that I've seen (Tombstone, etc.) as they usually look very "digital" with lots of edge enhancement. Maybe they can prove me wrong this time.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Yes Paul, COB's weight. At the insistence of the Captain, Hunter sits Cob down and discusses it with him. Exciting, huh? :)

There is one good extra on the R2, which from the title ("All Access: On The Set") looks like it'll be standard b-roll shite. But the actors gleefully send each other up (Viggo Mortensen and George Dzundza get 'caught' in an intimate clinch, for example!) and it's pretty funny.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I say a better cover for this would be to have the cover be exactly like the original poster art in red with both of the faces on each side and in the middle would be a glowing circular radar going around in beautiful neon that could have little submarine incoming effects every now and then

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
I say a better cover for this would be to have the cover be exactly like the original poster art in red with both of the faces on each side and in the middle would be a glowing circular radar going around in beautiful neon that could have little submarine incoming effects every now and then

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I think thats a pretty good cover for the DVD. They also just released the artwork for Domino and it is horrible compared to the original. I personally, will always love the Enemy of the State poster, its a great one!

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
One SE to cross off the list! The Digital Bits has news that an unrated extended edition will be released on 3/14 with deleted scenes and a new documentary. Now we need SE's Enemy of the State, Con Air, and Face/Off...

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
No mention of a commentary? CDL mentioned waaay back that he had recorded Tony Scott commentary for both Crimson Tide and Enemy Of The State. Scott isn't the world's greatest commentator, but it'd be nice to have another extra on what looks to be a pretty lean disc.
Sure, I'm being churlish, but with an anamorphic edition already in my collection this doesn't look like a worthy upgrade. Add a commentary and dts to those specs and it'd look a little better however. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks