What's new

Crimson Rivers - No subs on French commentary track? (1 Viewer)

Christian R

Agent
Someone mentioned earlier that R1 DVDs never have subtitles for the commentary tracks - the Columbia DVD of ANATOMY does indeed have subtitles (if you choose them). That's what made me curious - why not the same deal on CRIMSON RIVERS - it's also released by Columbia (guess it would have cost more money maybe??)

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
There is absolutely no mention on the box that the commentary is in French language only. What a rip!
One of the main reasons I purchased this disc was for the Commentary and now to discover that it's in French (okay, fair enough) but WITHOUT any subtitles?!
And where are the DELETED SCENES and ISOLATED SCORE WITH COMPOSERS COMMENTARY?!
These are listed in the specs for the disc at Amazon and other sites, but they not mentioned on the box and I cant find them on the disc!
The region 2 version is out November 26th, two discs with the same specs as this one, but perhaps it will ACTUALLY have all the aformentioned extras (and maybe even those commentary titles).
Has Columbia made any comment about this yet?

MikeF

Stunt Coordinator
Forgive me my ignorace, but WHY? They live in a an English speaking country, surrounded on all sides by English speakers. If they don't want to speak English, because they insist on being French, fine. But when they can't watch their DVDs because of that, I say tough.
I get the impression from many of my Canadian friends that Quebec is seen as a bunch of whiners, is this true or am I way off base?
This is a truly idiotic comment.
Canada is an officially bi-lingual country, with constitutional protection not only for minority rights generally, but in particular for the distinct society of Quebec and the French language. You'll note that 1/3 of the Supreme Court of Canada is composed of judges from Quebec, that all government and judicial services (Canada-wide!) are available in English and French, and that many products sold throughout Canada (most notably, food) must be labelled fully in both French and English. When you fly on a Canadian airline, all safety instructions must be given in English and French. All school-aged children in Canada are required to study French. All text in our passports is in English and French. Our Prime Minister is Quebecois and speaks French as a first language. One may speak either English or French, at one's leisure, in our Parliament. Indeed, speaking both English and French is required for many government positions.
That Quebecois "insist on being French" is a right to which they are constitutionally entitled in Canada and, in fact, granted as a fundamental aspect of Canadian culture. Just because you (or your seemingly ignorant Canadian friends) don't get it doesn't mean that you should presume to know what's best for French-Canadians.
------------------
My oh so exciting DVD collection.

Christopher D

Second Unit
OK, look, I just had a very nice business trip to Quebec, and I do speak some French. But let's put Canadian politics aside for a moment.
Has anyone heard anything from Columbia about this?
Merci.

Mark McLeod

Second Unit
I think the reason they are doing it is because the majority of DVD owners in Region 1 do not speak French. By presenting subtitles on a commentary in French it allows more of the viewers to benefit from the inclusion of the track.
This is not a political issue it's just makes sense from a buisness standpoint. Despite the number of French speaking Canadians and I'm sure some Americans to they are still vastly outnumbered by English speaking. Since this is region 1 and the biggest part of Region 1 is the US where French is not a official language the lack of subtitles on the commentary track means that the majority of the viewers who don't speak French would not be able to understand the track
Anyways. It's nice to hear it's being corrected.
M.
Link Removed

Patrick Lisabelle

Auditioning
I still think the new releases should have subs for the commentary tracks, no matter what the original language is.
The do it often in region 2.
It's on my wishlist.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Yes. I have been told that it is "being corrected" and that "an exchange opportunity" will exist.
I just finished watching the sequel and wondered about the subtitle problem on the first movie's DVD. I still have mine and never heard about an exchange program and did a search here and didn't find anything. Can anyone shed some light on this or did a replacement program fall through? Thanks!

-

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.