Crimping Banana Plugs

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by MickP, Apr 27, 2004.

1. MickP

MickP Auditioning

I used tooless twist-on Monster banana plugs in the past but am looking at using Monster crimp-on mini bananas this go-round.

How do you crimp the plug on? Is there a tool I will need?

I am using MonsterXP 16AWG wire and, probably, Monster crimp-on mini bananas - I'd provide a link but the forums don't allow newbs to do so.

Thanks for any advice.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I used the "Twist-Crimp" monster plugs, but they would pull loose every few weeks.

I went to the dual and single bananas from Radio Shack (279-306 and 279-308) and have not had a single loose wire in years. These dont require any tools.

Generally - you can use pliers if the bananas have a space with little flanges to bend over and grasp the wire.

You can get "Hex Crimp" tools for about $15 at Radio Shack - but these are usually sized for CATV coax connectors.

This link to the Monster Web Site has a flash movie for Monster Crimp Style connectors that might help. It looks like they are using a crimp-tool similar to the spade/lug tool you get at the hardware store or Radio Shack.

3. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I have used the monster crimp on bananna's and find that you need to crimp it at least in two places for it to hold well. I use a standard crimp tool built into my wire strippers.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

[​IMG]
    quick lock

i'm using these guys and have had no problems w/12g wire. they lock really tight.

i had the opposite of bob's experience. i've also used the rat-shack ones, but those seem to come loose. go figure...

5. MickP

MickP Auditioning

Any opinions on these screw-on GLS gold plugs? I'm thinking of going this route:

.speakerrepair.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=genem&Product_Code=BS28&Category_Code=AHH_Banana

warning: I removed the www from the front of the link above since newbs can't post links. Sorry for the inconvenience.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

The GLS Plugs look quite good. The price is decent and I like the black insulating body that can prevent a short if one plug is jerked out and falls on the other plugs. (or is the Chrome Shell connected to the wires?)

My one caution: you have 3 separate screw threads to tighten. While you dont need a crimp tool you must:

- Use a screw-driver to clamp the copper wires. (I wish they showed the clamp surface inside.)

- Use pliers to tighten the banana part to the body

- Use pliers to tighten on the shell

I like screw-threads - dont get me wrong. But you really want to use pliers rather than hand-tighten. Here is a fact: the number-one cause of CATV service calls is loose "F" connectors which are screw-threaded.