Crimpable connectors for speaker wire

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Kevin C Brown, Apr 15, 2004.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Just curious: I just use one of those bigger set of pliers to crimp a connector like this. (Not needle-nose, more like a wrench, but still pliers with jaws. Don't even know what they are officially called!) But is there actually a specific tool for this?

The wire goes into the fitting which is sort of a circle that's broken at the top, and then you're supposed to mash down each side of the top of the circle so that you get a V into the wire. Although with my pliers approach, I do one side and it flattens into the wire, then I do the other side, and it kind of just wraps *over* the other side. So the original circle shape is still there with the wire inside, just that the tops of the circle overlap instead of digging into the wire like the nice picture on the back of the connector packaging. [​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

[​IMG]

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. A picture is worth a thousand words. [​IMG] Can I use that as a wire stripper too, or just crimping? $10-ish?

4. Nathan Bjork

Nathan Bjork Stunt Coordinator

if u open the handles you can put a wire through the hole labled 8-32, 6-32 etc. and stip them that way

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Me off to the hardware store tomorrow. Thanks!

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Kevin,

Don’t know if you picked it up from Chu’s excellent picture, but the crimpers have separate jaw sections that you use depending on the gauge of the wire. The numbers you see, “22-18,” 12-10” etc. are for the relevant gauge sizes.

I use crimpers similar to these, and I even used them when I was doing installations for a pro-audio company. Nothing fancy, but they get the job done just fine.

By the way, in case you didn’t already know (and forgive me for being presumptuous if you did) the insulated crimp-on connectors are color-coded according to their gauge size: Pink or red for 22-18ga., blue for 14-16ga., yellow for 12-10ga.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Wayne- No, I didn't know that. [​IMG] I've seen the color coded kind at Radio Shack, for example, and did think it must be something to do with the wire gauge the connector could accommodate.

OK, another stupid question. (Maybe it will be obvious when I get a one of these.) When you actually use the crimper, is it parallel or perpendicular to the connector fitting?

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Picture Removed by Administration... Steve Simon

9. Nathan W.

Nathan W. Stunt Coordinator

Strippers are way more useful horizontal.................on the bed.

Concerning the wire type, the connectors would be perpendicular to the stripper.

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Oh man. [​IMG]

Got one today. They had 2 different kinds, one for $6 and one for $20, but for the life of me, I couldn't see any difference with the $20 one except that the ends pointed down into an additional needle nose pliers component. Useful gadget!