Crimp-on banana plugs?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Kriefall, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    I recently picked up the following crimp-on banana plugs from Radio Shack:
    [​IMG]
    After purchasing these, I realized that I have no idea how to attach them to the wire!
    I've read some discussion of crimp-on RCA plugs for interconnects, where a separate crimp tool is used to attach the plugs. Is the same true here?
    The Radio Shack salesdroid muttered something about using a pliers to attach the cable. But the doesn't really look like a viable solution...

2. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Scott,

First you pull the rubber jacket off. Do this by pulling it toward the "back" of the plug. Then run the wire through the plastic piece and into a collar on the plug itself. Crimp that down (pliers can be used here if no crimp tool is available). The to finish up just slide the rubber jacket back up over the gold plug. Voila! Once you get the plastic piece off it will be fairly obvious. Enjoy.

Dan Hine

3. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott
    Thanks. I think I have it figured out now!

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

if you've got a wire stripper then you'll find different size 'slots' where you can crimp. also if you're handy with a soldering iron and are careful of the plastic, you can further reinforce the connection.

5. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Scott:
    I am using the same plugs. When I crimped the first one, it cracked in half. The metal seems quite brittle.
    I just soldered my 12GA wire into the ends without crimping and they seem to be holding up just fine. Be careful, though. The metal gets really, really hot!

Good luck

Roy