What's new

Crimp-On Banana Plugs? (1 Viewer)

B

BradP

I am in the process of hooking up my new Paradigm Monitor setup, with 12 gaugue Sound King wire, and want to use connectors rather than the bare wire.
I have seen a lot of folks at this forum recommend the screw-on type banana plugs that Radio Shack offers. When I was in there yesterday, I noticed that they also offer a crimp-on gold plated banana plug that is a bit cheaper and may suit my needs better as I do own a crimping tool that should (I hope?) work with these.
Any thoughts on these connectors versus the screw on types?
Here are the two:
Crimp-On (These require no soldering, right?
Screw-on type
Thoughts please?
Thanks everyone!
BRAD

Chriss M

Second Unit
Of those 2 plugs the screw-type is the higher quality plug. I believe those crimp-on's are from radio shack's regular line, while the screw-type is from the gold series.
Im not sure how much you want to spend, but if you want crimp-on plugs, Monster makes a pretty nice set.
This is a 12 guage cable with RS screw connectors on one end and monster crimp-on on the other end
Link Removed

B

BradP

Chris,

Thanks for your reply. How do those screw-on cables from Radio Shack work for ya? The only pair I have seen in person is the kind where you need to run your wire through a hole in the center of the plug, not the style you show there that runs it in through the bottom (which is they way I prefer). How do you tighten it up?

Thanks,

Brad

Chriss M

Second Unit
they seem to work ok. I actually don't use that cable any longer ( see my thread in this forum, right below this one), but all you need to do is unscrew the plug and run the wire through it. Then you fold the wire around the top of the hole and screw it back in. this pushes the wire against the other part of the plug and creates the connection.
looks like this
Link Removed

B

BradP

Aha, a picture is always worth a thousand words!
So you just spread out and flattened the bare wire out around the entire circumference of the inside of the connector then?
Sorry for all the questions, but I may just go with these all around, wanna make sure I do it right. ;)
Brad

Chriss M

Second Unit
yup, that is what you do. If you wanted to make it look nice too, i'd get some shrink wrap to fit inside the connector and around the wire, because the opening of the plug is much larger than the diameter of the 12ga wire.

Roy Wallace

Stunt Coordinator
Hello everyone:

What type binding post do you feel would be best for use with these screw type jacks for an in wall application?

What have you guys had success with?

Thanks

RW

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks