Crimp connectors and Tools...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eujin, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

I posted this in the Tweaks and Connections forum, but it's probably more appropriate here...

Ok, here's a question for you advanced DIYers out there:

Do I have to stay with manufacturer recommended crimp tools and dies if I'm using their crimp connectors? In other words, if I'm using say, Canare XXX connectors and they recommend Canare Crimp Tool YYY and Die ZZZ, do I absolutely have to do this? The reason I'm asking is because I haven't decided what brand I want to go with and manufacturers like Canare and WBT (to name 2 prominent brands) recommend specific tools to go with their connectors. Does this mean I'll be "locked in" if I choose one over the other? Or is there a "universal" crimp tool out there that will work with both? Specifically, I'm curious about WBT's Topline RCA crimp-ons--just what difference will I get for $50/pair WBTs versus $5/pair Canares? I'd really love to see and hear for myself and figured it would be a fun project, but not for the dollars it would cost to get their recommended tools.

Any help will be much appreciated.

2. ChrisB

ChrisB Stunt Coordinator

I am no expert, but this is what I have gathered from researching the same thing. If you want a quality crimp, you need to buy the recomended dies, as for the crimp I have read a couple diffrent views on that. My personal view on this is that you dont need to buy there 100 dollar crimp tool, but a quality tool will do. Being a electrican I already had a couple crimp handles, and they worked fine for me. There was a guy on the HTspot who was having problems with his generic crimp working on his Canare connectors.

As for the WBT I havnt used those, but can say I am happy with the Canare ones I have used.

3. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I don't feel that there is any reason to use the expensive crimp tool and cable strippers. You will need to get the "official" crimp dies (at least for Canare). The Radio Shack crimp tool and the Radio Shack cable stripper worked well for my DIY cable project.

4. Eujin

Eujin Supporting Actor

Greg, which crimp tool are you using from RadioShack? I've been using the cheap one (not the cheapest $6 one) and it's pretty lousy. I noticed that there was a bigger one that looked more "professional"--is this the one you mean? I agree about the cable stripper being very useful, and mine has come in very useful on many DIY occassions. Maybe I'll just go with Canare and be done with it.