What's new

Crimp connectors and Tools (1 Viewer)

Eujin

Supporting Actor
SORRY, I think this may be more appropriate in the DIY forum. Excuse the goof.

Ok, here's a question for you advanced DIYers out there:

Do I have to stay with manufacturer recommended crimp tools and dies if I'm using their crimp connectors? In other words, if I'm using say, Canare XXX connectors and they recommend Canare Crimp Tool YYY and Die ZZZ, do I absolutely have to do this? The reason I'm asking is because I haven't decided what brand I want to go with and manufacturers like Canare and WBT (to name 2 prominent brands) recommend specific tools to go with their connectors. Does this mean I'll be "locked in" if I choose one over the other? Or is there a "universal" crimp tool out there that will work with both? Specifically, I'm curious about WBT's Topline RCA crimp-ons--just what difference will I get for $50/pair WBTs versus $5/pair Canares? I'd really love to see and hear for myself and figured it would be a fun project, but not for the dollars it would cost to get their recommended tools.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Ken Smith

Stunt Coordinator
Eugin,

There is alot of talk on this subject at hometheaterspot.com. Look under cables and wires. From what I gather, you can buy a crimping tool and then buy the Canare die sets to go with whatever connector you choose. From experience, it's easier to get the Canare tools and these will be the easiest to use. I would forget about WBT. IMO they are way over priced. The canare connectors with the Belden cable is the best way to go. If you go to the above named web site look back about 45 days and you should find everything you need to know.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Either this fourm or the DIY is fine. :)
A lot of us followed Chris White's guidelines for generic crimp tools with Canare dies.
http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theater/diycable.htm
A Skilled electronic Tech can use generic tools and get parts from different vendors fit. Unless you qualify as skilled, I'd suggest you pick a vendor and buy their dies and connectors. This removes a lot of need for "skill" (which is why I went with Canare stuff :) ).
A lot of people have good luck mating Belden coax to Canare plugs. (It's the Canare plugs that have the good reputation). But I dont have a link showing what coax goes to what plugs.
Hope this helps.

Brian Schucher

Supporting Actor
Follow this link for the Belden cross reference chart for the canare connectors..
Link Removed
It appears to be having probs now but thats the link..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks