What's new

"Crimewave" scheduled (1 Viewer)

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon.co.uk and Play.com are both listing a 15-Aug-05 release date for "Crimewave". However there are precious few details posted.

There are several films around with this title, but the running time listed on Play.com would be about right (allowing for 4% PAL speedup) for this to be the 1985 comedy directed by Sam Raimi and written by the Coen brothers.

This movie is a big favourite of mine that I've been waiting to get on DVD for years. Does anybody have any information on this release?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
With all due respect to Christopher's hopes, I hope
this might be the fine 1954 film directed by Andre
de Toth, starring Sterling Hayden.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
No offence taken, Dave. Besides, I enjoy 1950s crime movies as well. On reflection, however, I think the Raimi movie is the more likely possibility here.

According to Halliwell, the 1954 film was "Crime Wave" (two words) and had a theatrical running time of 74 minutes. With PAL speedup, this would be reduced to about 71 minutes, which falls short of the advertised disc's running time of 78 minutes. Also, Andre de Toth's film was titled "The City is Dark" here in the UK.

On the other hand, websites often list incorrect details (just last week DVD Box Office advertised 1943's "Heaven Can Wait" with a picture of Warren Beatty), so I guess it could still go either way.

I'll post more news here if and when I can find any.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
Online stores are now showing the sleeve artwork, and it's definitely the Sam Raimi movie that's being released.

However, still no word of aspect ratio, sound format or extras.

Jason Walstrom

Supporting Actor
Wow I never thought this movie would be released. It's one of those guilty pleasures that has some great set-pieces but doesn't quite fit together as a whole. But, definitely entertaining.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks