What's new

Crikey! What system to buy? Down to 2.... (1 Viewer)

eric_jc

Auditioning
It is between the RCA DS4280RE and the Sony SATA55D (I think). My needs (wants) are dual LNB, optical audio out DD5.1, s-video or component video out and a good menu system. I have not seen pics of either menus for these systems but if you cold point me to pics of these it would help.
My local dealers are idiots so I am buying online at 800.com (I think). As you can see making these decisions is not going to be easy for me. I would also like to get a bargain bin receiver for the bedroom that needs no bells and whistles at all. As long as I get my channels on it I don't care.
Is there anything that I should know about either of these that would make me lean in either direction? I tend to like Sony in general but that's not enough for me. I have looked though past messages but I can't really find an answer from them. I assume that there are those of you out there that got one of these for the 5.1 outs so You have probably seen both. Help the new DBS guy! Thanks very much.
Eric

Raymond G

Agent
I just bought the RCA 480 and it has everything that you are
wanting. I also was leaning towards the Sony (all of my other equipment is Sony), but my dealer said there was still
some bugs with it. There are several online dealers that
will have a good deal on the second receiver also. Just do
a search for DirectTV systems.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Eric,
You may want to go for the RCA 4290 system, if you are willing to spend the extra $200 compared to the 4280 system. RCA has it on their website now here:
Link Removed
-Dan

eric_jc

Auditioning
Thanks for the replies.
Raymond, what bugs are you refering to? Did this guy give you specifics or anything?
Dan, I looked at the other RCA you mentioned and it is overkill for me. I never tape anything because I hate TV in general and I have all the net I could want with DSL. Believe it or not, just like the commercial, the system is for my wife mainly... she wants the NFL package. Don't get me wrong, I am an NFL fan as well but she is crazy.
Thanks again guys!
Eric

eric_jc

Auditioning
By the way Dan, what part of WI are you in? Let me know about that 480 you have. I may consider it, you being somewhat local and all.

Dan B

Screenwriter
Eric,
I may be selling my 480, but I haven't had a chance to check out the 490 in person yet, and I'd wait to read some reviews first. So, it'll probably be a while yet if I do upgrade.
-Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks