Crest VS amps - any good for powering a sub?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg P, Mar 1, 2002.

1. Greg P

Greg P Stunt Coordinator

I believe there is one owner of this brand of crest amps on this forum. Do these amps provide power through the whole bandwith frequency?

How is the fan noise on the Crest VS series

2. Michael Do

Michael Do Agent

I believe Bob Sorel over at AVSFORUM is using 5 Crest amp to power his hometheater speaker.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Crest Professional amps are the best pro amps money can buy. Vs series is their budget product- but an excellent performer for the price.

-V

4. ThomasW

ThomasW Cinematographer

Don't know about the Vs series but Pete brought his LT-1000 over last w/e for a shootout. The fan in it was pretty quiet while we were flogging the AS-15 sub to house shaking levels. It's a very nice amp for the money......

5. Tim Kilbride

Tim Kilbride Stunt Coordinator

I don't necessarily agree with Vince on this one...but they are definitely in the top three (I own a Pro Audio Co. that uses QSC PL Series exclusively). But Crest, Crown, and QSC are what we see and use mostly in our industry. Any Crest amp will be more than adequate for HomeTheater use...a bit of irony...I use 4 Carver PM300's in my own theater and I am extremely pleased with their performance and no fans to boot...
    A friend of mine owns a company called Sound Productions in Dallas...their website is www.SoundPro.com. They have an extensive used equipment lineup and you may want to see what the used Crest amps are going for...just to keep things in check!!!
    My .02
    TK-

6. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

7. Tim Kilbride

Vince,

I agree with you wholeheartedly on everything you've said...

Another amp new to our market is the CyberLogic...used mostly with the Nexo stuff. You should check them out if you get a minute.

TK-

8. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

The company I work for uses both QSC and Crest. Both are great amps and worth consideration. New amps from L'acoustic are also very nice! For a home theater application though the Crest amps seem to run a bit quieter.
    Tim, speaking of Nexo I have a few of them up in a rig right now. Boy they are nice cabinets! [​IMG]
    Dan Hine

9. Bob Sorel

Bob Sorel Stunt Coordinator

Yup, I'm the guy who uses 5 Crest VS-900's in my system, 6 channels to biamp my front 3 speakers and the other 4 channels for my sides and rears. And then I use a Crown K2 for my dual HE 15 subwoofer [​IMG]
    Well, the K2 is the single best amp I have owned to date, as it provides 1250 wpc to each of my drivers, and its fanless design barely gets warm.
    The VS-900's are also excellent amps, especially for the money, and since they use 2 speed fans, I can barely hear all 5 of them even when they used to be right on the side of me (I have sinced moved them to a separate room for cooling purposes). The fans can get quite loud if all 5 of them step up to high speed, but the spl's in your room will certainly drown out any fan noise at those levels [​IMG] The VS-900's also have a ramp up, ramp down feature, as well as protective relays, so that you never get any annoying or potentially harmful "thumps" blasted into your speaker sytem at any time. Even used for mains, these amps are great performers, and I would recommend them heartily for home theater usage. I picked up all 5 of them used, plus an enclosed rack, for about $2000 total. Just try getting 10 channels @ 450 wpc of quality amplification for that small sum of money. They are not the super ultimate in "audiophile" amps, but they are certainly one of the bang for the buck deals I have ever made.

10. Tim Kilbride

Dan,

Give me your opinion on the difference between the Nexo and 850's. What do you like/dislike about each box(es)....

TK-

11. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

12. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

Tim and Vince,
    I must start off by saying that I am really more home audio inclined, I just happen to work for a pro a/v company. Therefore my knowledge is somewhat limited. However, I think here are my impressions nevertheless.
    The Nexo's put out very clean highs and a surprising amount low bass. When I first heard them they were set up with a pair of OAP subs. The bass was working pretty well, even though I'm not a huge fan of OAP. Anyhow, after about 5minutes the guy turned the sound down and asked "Do you want me to turn the subs on now?" [​IMG] I had thought they were on the entire time.
    Another bonus to the Nexos (in the area I work in) is that they get very loud very quickly. No need for a huge amp which makes them great for a wide range of applications. In fact, we are using a single AB Logic amp to run 4 Nexos with great results. In face we keep getting threatened to be shut down if we don't lower the volume. :b The really important part of the system is Nexo's crossover controller. I haven't gotten to play with them a lot but I intend to soon. And I'll be using them for another week and a half so maybe I'll get some more hands on play between now and then.
    One thing to keep in mind with the Nexo's (this may not be an issue for you guys but was for us) is that Nexo's run on channel two of an NL4 connector. So if you use two conductor wire be sure to make your connections on the second channel. Or just use 4conductor wire exclusively.
    That is really all I can tell you at this point, but I'm always learning more so I would be more than happy to pass on my opinions as time goes by. And now that I know more guys that are in this business I hope you won't mind me asking you guys things.
    Dan Hine

13. Tim Kilbride

Thanks for the info...
    I have two friends who own sound co's that use Nexo...www.concertsystemsusa.com and www.showandtellpro.com. They love their systems. I own a large EAW rig (24 850's/ 12 SB1000's), and of course we rib each other constantly.
    My idea on the EAW is that I don't have to sell it...it fills any and all riders we get. When traveling engineers call in to tech riders, we tell them what we have and it is the end of the conversation...plus there is another company here in NOLA that has 16 tops and 8 subs like mine should I need to cross rent more boxes. It works for me...and it is profitable, something that is hard to do in this business... make a buck!!!
    I honestly believe that there are better sounding systems available, but 850's are like Shure SM-58's. Everyone knows what they sound like, and they all use them...it seems that every other company (except line arrays) compare their products to 850's (ie "it looks like an 850" "it sounds like an 850" "it flies like an 850" kinda thing).
    IMO the only thing that taste like chicken is chicken...
    Vince...what kinda gig are you into? Are you a buyer of talent, reseller, or promotions? What aspects of SR do you get into?
    TK-

14. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Stunt Coordinator

I'll toss a word of caution out about the Crest V/Vs amps, especially if you are looking at an old used amp. It appears that some of the early V/Vs have power supplies that eventually self destruct. I had to take one of our church's Crest Vs amps in for warrenty repair on the power supply, and the repair tech said that he saw a fair number of those amps and they ALL had the same power supply problem. Solution: a redesigned power supply mainboard from Crest. He also said that the new amps had the redesigned power supply. If it was me, I wouldn't get a used V/Vs amp; but I wouldn't be a bit afraid to get a new one.

Steve "Of course, your mileage may vary." Peterson

15. Brandon B

Brandon B Second Unit

FullCompass.com has a Crest VS450 on clearance right now for $409 or so.

BB

16. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

17. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Vince,
    I never give you a hard time? But just in case, once you start putting QSC as your "best" amp choice, I'll stop [​IMG]

18. Tim Kilbride

Get on him John................................
    [​IMG]
    Tim K.

19. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

John,

You find me a job over there at QSC, and they'll become my favorite amps like that {snaps fingers}.

-Vince

20. John A. Gordon

John A. Gordon Stunt Coordinator

JohnG
    Vince, I had something lined up for you that I was going to reveal to all--including you--who attended the QSC tour during the national meets, but you did not show up! So no announcement, and we are now on a hiring freeze! But once it gets lifted, I'll be sure to let you know so we can [​IMG] about it.
    John