What's new

Crest Power Amps? (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I very much prefer professional power amps. They offer so much more performance for less money, often much less money, than an equivalent consumer amp. Most popular pro amps are made by Crown and QSC, but I have heard that Crest Audio made excellent amps also. I don't know much about Crest Audio power amps, so could someone point out models that would be good to use in a home theater environment?

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Alan, did you ever get your Macro Reference truly fixed?
I hope so, it would be a shame to have to let such a classic go.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
Arthur: Yes, I did get my Crown fixed and I am still using it. I found that by plugging it into a different outlet its problems miraculously went away. Turns out the Crown Macro - according to the repairman - draws a lot of current on turn-on and there was too much draw already on the outlet I was using. This seems funny to me, but it does work perfectly plugging it in anywhere else but where it was.

But I'm always looking for something different, plus, I will be needing more amps once I start, finally, assembling a surround system (now that I have a true processor).

MikeNg

Second Unit
I've used Crest Audio amps in a commercial setting before, and they perform very well. Good solid amps - very little problems with them.

One thing that differentiates 'pro' amps from 'consumer' amps is that many pro amps have fans mounted in the back to cool them, which adds additional ambient noise. So if the amp is going to sit in the same room as the listening room, this could ba a consideration. If your component rack is in a different room or in a closet, then it matters less.

What do you want to use the amps to drive? What size room do you have?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks