Crest Amp with SVS CS+ ; can I / should I bridge it??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy_K, Jul 1, 2002.

1. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up a great used Crest Audio LA 910 amp at a garage sale. The owner said it was bridgeable, and there is a switch for bridged mode. It puts out 325 watts/channel with 4 ohms per the sticker on the back.

I have an SVS CS+ and would like to maximize it. Was thinking I could bridge the Crest to get the most power. Does anybody know if the Crest can handle that load with the 4 ohm SVS driver??

Thanks,
    Troy

2. John F. Palacio

John F. Palacio Supporting Actor

Troy.

When you bridge a power amp you get a significant increase in power output. The trade-off is that the amp will not handle low impedance loads as well. If your crest amp is rated for 4 ohms(minimum) in the stereo mode then in the bridged mode 8 ohms would be the the lowest impedance it will safely handle.

If it is rated for 2 ohms minimum in stereo then it can drive 4 ohm loads in the bridged mode.

All SVS drivers are 4 ohm.

Hope this helps.

John

3. DaveDi

DaveDi Auditioning

If you can bridge it i would, as a rule especially in sound reinforcement type situations I have found that you should have about 1.5 times the rms power your sub can handle and about 2 times what the highs can handle being output by your amps. Lots of headroom keeps things clear and undistorted, distortion blows speakers way before overpowering them does-trust me ive blown enough pairs to know.