Creedence The 20 Greatest Hits on Super Audio!

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    http://www.highfidelityreview.com/ne...umber=19032109

More CCR for us fans, on Naxos on of all labels. [​IMG]

Also, I exchanged emails with Tony Faulkner and he says that he has been doing a lot of DSD recording the past year so we should see some really superb classical albums from the UK soon. He is doing all the recent London Symphony Orchestra pieces in Super Audio.

[​IMG]

2. Michael St. Clair

Copies of the Creedence disc have been selling on eBay since 2 weeks ago.

It was not mastered by Steve Hoffman. [​IMG]

3. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Lee, I saw Brian's announcement on Audio Asylum, so I posted a thread about this disc on Steve Hoffman's board. It will be interesting to see the feedback this receives.

As Greg said, I came across a copy of this SACD on eBay a couple of weeks ago. It sold for $51. Note that highfidelityreview.com says that the SACD is only available in Hong Kong and China currently. [​IMG]

5. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

6. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Eh, I'm better off just getting Analogue Productions' SACDs of the albums. Eveyone agrees those sound great, and you should get all the music on the compilation and more.

NP: Billie Holiday, Lady Day: The Best of Billie Holiday, disc 1

7. Michael St. Clair

Overheard at the Hoffman forum (not from Steve):

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael,

I did not read that statement on Hoffman's board yet, but I wonder if there is any credence (please, pardon the pun) there and if there is a bias since the Naxos disc was not done by Steve Hoffman. Regarding the latter, Lee was right in that Steve Hoffman is not the only capable mixing engineer in the business.

Lee,

I'm with you. I complain enough about paying $25 for an Analogue Productions CCR SACD ([​IMG]), so I am not eager to pay $51 for the Naxos disc. Also, figure shipping from the Orient will be exhorbitant. When I ordered the WHAM! Make it Big JSACD from hmv.co.jp two years ago, the disc was $25 and shipping was $18. Since I love the album and the SACD was not (and still is not) available in the US, I bit the bullet and ordered it from Japan. However, given that Hoffman's CCR SACDs are readily available here, I will buy them. If I can get a favorable price on Chronicle and I come across some good reviews, I will reconsider my position.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I went back and reviewed the thread on Hoffman's site and noticed that I replied to this individual but missed the portion that you quoted here. I would think that Steve Hoffman would know if anyone else had access to the original master tapes of CCR's works, but he may not know with certainty.

10. Michael St. Clair

I certainly agree that Mr. Hoffman is not the only excellent engineer in the biz, and that there are many biases on the internet.

That said, given the timing and geography of this release, so soon after the original albums were remastered, and the lack of any press by Fantasy about who made this and what they made it from I have serious doubts about the source elements and the quality of this release.

Consider me skeptical until further notice.

11. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I hear you. I am playing it conservative with this one too.

12. Michael St. Clair

According to this thread at SH, the disc is a pure lemon. Sounds like it might even be upsampled from the last CD reissue. And the 5.1 is fake processed surround, not remixed.

13. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

14. Michael St. Clair

Jack,

It sounds to me like buying the US SACDs, or maybe even the cheap K2 remasters from BMG/CH, and running them through DLP2/Logic7/Neo on some setups might give you better sound in the rears than this disc. Of course if your receiver/pro doesn't have such an option that is a moot point.

15. KrisM

KrisM Second Unit

How does garbage like this get released? If they can't even equal the sound of the original red-book disc(which isn't all that great), then why bother?
    Spending this kind of money just to 'get sound out of all the speakers' sounds kinda dumb to me.

Regards
    KrisM

16. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

I just received this in the mail yesterday.
    The little time I spent with it I think it's darn good,

Yes it is Multi channel.
    I emailed the ebay seller and made a direct purchase off ebay. Saved myself some $'s that way, seller saved the fee's.
    I think it's well worth the $22 shipped.
    The foreign label to the left on the jewel case is just paper stuck to the outside of the jewel case with a very a small amount of adhesive in one spot, very easy to remove.
    The everything else is in English.

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Jerry, are you saying you like the multi-channel track, stereo SACD track, or both? Do you have any of the Analogue Productions CCR SACDs (done by Steve Hoffman) for comparison? Based on what I have read about the Naxos disc, it seems like it doesn't come close to Hoffman's work.

18. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Reading the Hoffman forum, Steve has stated that there were no multitrack elements sent to Naxos for the surround mix. It is essentially a Silverline Mix, with fake processed surround.

Instead of spendng money on this disc, it would probably make sense to pick up one of the hybrid discs Steve Hoffman mastered. Of the two I own so far (Willy, Cosmos) I have been very very impressed.

J

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Justin said:

20. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

Keith,
    Yes I have Analogue Productions Cosmos & Green River.
    This Chronicle is pretty good in multi and very good in stereo, The multi has surround ambiance that's not offensive in anyway to my ears, Note: I have not yet done any A/B comparisons to the other CCR SACDs, But I really don't compare software in this manner.
    When I place the disc in the player and as long as it don't scream for me to remove it, that's a start, I'm sure I may find some sonic differences, but I think we can do that with just about any re-mix.
    This week I will spend some more time with comparisons.
    I feel it's just as good or even a step up from my Fantasy FCD-623-CCR2 red-book as I'm very familiar. Again this disc @ $22. shipped to my door is also taken in consideration, that's sixty tracks of SACD-Redbook, $0.36 a track.
    I am not complaining a bit on the price, I remember what I paid for on my other CCR SACDs[​IMG]