What's new

Creed II (2018) (2 Viewers)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Creed II at $110.1 million has now outgrossed the lifetime domestic total of its predecessor ($109.7 million for the first Creed in 2015.) This isn't entirely unexpected since the opening for Creed II was substantially higher than last time, but it does appear to be holding less.

Both films were released at Thanksgiving on their respective years, but I didn't see the first Creed until late December. I remember doing a triple feature of Sisters, Creed and The Force Awakens, and Creed was still hanging around at my big theater with a full screen's worth of showtimes per day which allowed me to arrange this.

Creed II is no longer screening at my local theater, and appears to be closer to the end of its run than the original was at this point. The first film was in release for 100 days before closing with the $109.7 million gross; the second one has currently been in release for 36 days and already disappeared from my local theater. So yes it made more money faster, but doesn't appear to have quite the longevity of the first one.

Out of curiosity, is it still playing near anyone else?

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=creed.htm
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=creed2.htm

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Okay, then my theater getting rid of it already seems more random.

Good for it.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Creed II at $110.1 million has now outgrossed the lifetime domestic total of its predecessor ($109.7 million for the first Creed in 2015.) This isn't entirely unexpected since the opening for Creed II was substantially higher than last time, but it does appear to be holding less.
I think there's a relatively finite audience for these movies, large enough to be very profitable but not the size of an MCU audience. Creed II just frontloaded the business earlier in its run.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
My local one that has already parted ways with it is 20 screens. They've got two showtimes a day of Bohemian Rhapsody and The Crimes of Grindelwald, and three shows a day of The Grinch, among things that are older than Creed II. But otherwise everything opened at the same time (Ralph Breaks the Internet) or after Creed II. I'm not sure how long ago they got rid of it.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
There is an interesting tidbit buried in Deadline's story about No Time to Die exploring a streaming sale:

Deadline said:
While MGM is working on a Creed sequel that Michael B Jordan will direct, and a new creative team is aggressively building a promising slate, Bond remains MGM’s crown jewel.

I had heard somewhere before that Creed III was in development. But this is the first I've heard of Michael B. Jordan directing it as well as starring. That's interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks