What's new

Creed (2015) (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What made Stallone so good in this film is how he underplayed the character of Rocky. A controlled, deeper and tired Rocky with some regrets and too many memories of the people he lost over the years.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Yup. Both characters struggling with their legacy. But seeing Stallone again in this role he so perfectly inhabits was powerful. You've never seen Rocky like this. There were a few scenes where I got choked up when he was talking about loss. Great film. Great performance.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Overall, a solid send-off to the Rocky cinematic saga spanning almost 40 years (let that sink in...)

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
How funny - last night I enjoyed some of the best Nature's Finest that Washington State as to offer. And while I was standing before my mountain of DVDs, high as a kite, I reached for my unwatched Blu-Ray set of all 6. Half way through Rocky III, I went "Wait - I wonder whatever happened to 'Creed'? Little did I know it was coming out that very day!

Hmmm, turkey and potatoes or watch another Rocky movie in the theaters?

So I called my mom, said "Thanksgiving plans have changed!" - we're off to the theater here in an hour or so to catch the noon showing! I'll give you my full report when I get back!

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Adam Lenhardt said:
Swedish composer Ludwig Goransson, mostly known for his television work (aside from Coogler's Fruitvale Station), is only the third composer for the franchise after Vince DiCola (for Rocky IV) and Bill Conti (for all of the others). I'm really pumped at the way he seems to have integrated Conti's themes and then spun them off in different directions. I wasn't expecting the big jazzy orchestral score that this appears to be pointing toward.

The score is as much a knockout as the movie. And it uses the Conti themes very intelligently, and in just the right moments.

I'll probably see this again while it's in theaters; audience reaction is a big part of the experience. It understands and honors the Rocky legacy while thoughtfully reinventing it.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The trailer for this film really annoyed me. The whole thing just looked like your stereotypical down-and-out Black man can only become validated if he becomes successful at (fill in the sport here). It's tiresome.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Edwin-S said:
The trailer for this film really annoyed me. The whole thing just looked like your stereotypical down-and-out Black man can only become validated if he becomes successful at (fill in the sport here). It's tiresome.

Naw, Adonis is well off (all that money from dear departed dad), and really only fights because he needs to prove himself to himself. So not down and out - although he gets down and out to get in touch with his Eye of the Tiger.

Bryan Tuck said:
The score is as much a knockout as the movie. And it uses the Conti themes very intelligently, and in just the right moments.

I am not ashamed to admit that the 12th round Theme Music Power Up punched me right in the Feels.

. . . more thoughts after dinner.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edwin-S said:
If that was your perception from the commercial then it's wrong!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Edwin-S said:
You couldn't be more wrong Edwin. Creed is none if those things. Forget the trailer. If our raves aren't enough for you consider seeing this fantastic film then that's another thing. Maybe it's just not your cup of tea.

And Adonis certainly wasn't well off. I saw nothing of him receiving any money from Apollo. He wasn't down and out but he also wasn't wealthy.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
92%
Average Rating: 7.9/10
Reviews Counted: 131
Fresh: 121
Rotten: 10
Critics Consensus: Creed brings the Rocky franchise off the mat for a surprisingly effective seventh round that extends the boxer's saga in interesting new directions while staying true to its classic predecessors' roots.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
I love the Rocky flicks - I, II and VI are fantastic dramas, III and IV are just great fun (even if they are goofy as fuck) and even V - the weakest of the series - is watchable. But Creed? Possibly the best of the lot! Stallone is a great actor - some of the best acting I've seen him do - the cast is very strong, it hits all the right 'Rocky' beats while still making it's own. The direction, the cinematography - the one boxing match that was done in one take was brilliant! The music, when you finally get the Gonna Fly Now, it's the most appropriate usage ever. God this was a good flick.

If you are a Stallone fan, if you are a Rocky fan - there is no reason you will be disappointed in Creed. I give it my highest recommendations.

Tino said:
Terrific film. A crowd pleaser very similar to the original Rocky. All the leads were great especially Stallone who deserves an Oscar nom. One of the years best.

The only reason I can see Stallone not getting a nomination is if the academy are a bunch of snobs.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Father meets son:

carl-michael-creed-01.jpg

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Just got back from seeing Creed. Really enjoyed it and just confirms what many here have said and critics as well : Rocky Balboa the character has to be among the...or maybe THE most sweetest and kindest characters ever on screen. Theres just something about Rocky that is so damn endearing. Like Tino, there were several moments I fought back getting choked up. Lots of life lessons and takeaways. The movie is deeper than you really think.

Packed audience tonight. People cheered and clapped. Stallone was GREAT. Just a home run. The relationship and characters on screen ALL had terrific chemistry and wasn't forced.

Well done.

9/10

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
i'll take your guys word for it not being what I thought it was. I might go see it, but it most likely will not be in my local theatre. Starting shortly, I'm going to be out of town working for at least a month.

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Loved this film. Great performances, great direction, great story. A real pleasure seeing this movie on the big screen. I continue to hope for super stardom for Michael B. Jordan, and this is a huge step.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I live in suburban Philadelphia so it's basically a law that I have to love the Rocky movies (even the lousy entries) but it's nice to see that audiences and critics are enjoying this one. I know Stallone and Jordan are both good actors but I was surprised by how good they were.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks