I did a search but didn't quite find anything as specific as my problem. My girlfriend and I are currently renting a two bedroom apartment here in the Twin Cities. (Eden Prairie, Minnesota to be most specific). We are currently paying $1,085/mo. And well, I'm tired of it. We decided to try Edina Realty. We spoke to a very nice agent who wants to help us find a home. However, we first need to qualify for a mortgage loan. We spoke to a loan officer there and filled out all of the necessary paperwork. We also made a neat file for her with our recent payment stubs, 2 months worth of bank statements, old W-2 forms, etc, etc. Here's the problem: I guess my credit is pretty good. Well, at least better than average. My credit/beacon score is in the high 700's. However, my girlfriend has extremely poor credit. A few years ago and well before we began dating, her purse was stolen from her car. She notified credit card companies, however, the purse snatcher managed to write out several checks to various establishments. Quite a few checks were written out. After receiving no money, it looks as though they were all charged off by the various companies who then took the checks to collecting agencies. I have a copy of her credit report from Experian and it doesn't look good at all. Every account was taken to a collection agency and is either pending or has already been charged off except for one (there are a total of 14 "accounts"). My girlfriend advised she did call the bank but obviously, the checks had already been written. I'm not even sure where to begin getting this straightened out... The loan officer called me back on Friday and advised me together there is no way in heck we're going to get a mortgage loan with an "A"-type mortgage. (I pretty much knew this though) She did advise me there are several other options for people with less than perfect credit, however, I am not sure if she has explored these options. She did mention that with my credit being as good as it is, I might be able to get the entire loan in my name, however, she would have to look further into this as I only make $33K-$35K/yr. (together, we make close to $65K-$70K) She is gong to call us back tomorrow with all of our available options. But this still worries me. I'm already assuming the worst case scenario in which she tells both of us to take a hike until we can get things straightened out. At first, I took this to be a learning experience and thought I'd humor ourselves by going to see if we could even qualify for a mortgage. But now that I've looked at the big picture, I'm tired of paying this $1,085/mo. and getting nothing in return. Has anyone run into this kind of issue before? Is my girlfriend's credit a lost cause? I don't know if there anyway of 'undoing' what is already done and especially since it happened a few years ago (09/2000). As always, any help is greatly appreciated. Scott.