What's new

Creature from the black lagoon Legacy comparisons? (1 Viewer)

Jefff

Agent
Greetings!
I have been searching for this info-but haven't found anything yet.
Of course, you get the two sequels-But are there any comparisons of CFTBL to the old release?
Is it a new transfer? any new or missing extras from the first release? Better image/sound quality? etc.

All help is most appreciated.
Thanx.

CHEERS! jefff

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I can't compare the two as I only have the previous release. However, if you want the sequels, this appears to be the only way to get them, so I will probably be double-dipping here.

BTW, I have a vhs tape of "Revenge of the Creature" and my memory of it is that the the 1st sequel doesn't compare well with the original. I even noticed moments where you could see wear and tear on the gill-man's underwater suit.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I saw some screen shot comparisons on-line, it seems the Legacy version is a tad darker but a bit more detailed. Not a big difference overall.

The Legacy set is great, priced right and including new commenatries on the sequels and all the extras from the original movie's first DVD.

The flat versions of CREATURE and REVENGE aren't ideal, but it is impossible to see the original polarized 3-D version at home. Both films, as well as the dozens of other 3-D movies released in the 1950's, were all originally shown using clear polarized glasses for 3-D showings. So have the vast majority of 3-D movies since then.

It is unfortunate that most modern audiences have only seen these films in the abysmal red/blue anaglyph conversions which were created much later. They are pretty nearly unwatchable, and look nothing like the original 3-D.

That's why we can't complain too much about the flat versions being on the DVD. They are the best option for most viewers at home. Red/Blue versions are terrible and insulting to the originals. Field sequential 3-D technology is readily available (DVD viewers wear LCD shutter glasses) but not without its own problems and limitations, the least of which is that the set up requires a $30 pair of glasses.

Still, if you ever get the chance, see these films in a theatre in the original polarized 3-D. Screenings of the Gill-Man movies were among the highlights of last year's World 3-D Film Expo in L.A. Besides being able to see the films on the big screen in startling, crisp black and white 3-D as intended, it was an extra thrill since Julie Adams, Lori Nelson and other stars attended the screenings and participated in a Q&A session afterward.

For $19.99, you can't beat the new DVD set.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I bought the Legacy Creature and wanted to make a comment about a small odity. When at the main menu, if I press stop on my remote, I get the symbol for not allowed function on the screen, and the DVD does not stop playing. It's not a big deal, but I've never noticed a DVD to do this before.

BTW, I have a Panasonic A110.

The packaging is quite nice, except for the hub holding on to the DVD. It does not release very easily.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks