What's new

3D Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954) (1 Viewer)

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Please be on the lookout for any parallax or conversion issues in the transfer. There should be zero eyestrain and no ghosting/double-image whatsoever. I restored an original 1954 dual-strip 35mm print of this film so I am very much aware of how it should look.
CREATURE was fairly well photographed but it does have some alignment problems which should have been fixed. If they have not, our review will be VERY critical...
Bob Furmanek
3-D Film Archive
www.3dfilmarchive.com

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/90#post_3968572
Please be on the lookout for any parallax or conversion issues in the transfer. There should be zero eyestrain and no ghosting/double-image whatsoever.

How can he tell if the ghosting is on the transfer, it might just be the projector/tv or glasses he is wearing.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
Please be on the lookout for any parallax or conversion issues in the transfer. There should be zero eyestrain and no ghosting/double-image whatsoever. I restored an original 1954 dual-strip 35mm print of this film so I am very much aware of how it should look.
CREATURE was fairly well photographed but it does have some alignment problems which should have been fixed. If they have not, our review will be VERY critical...
Bob Furmanek
3-D Film Archive
www.3dfilmarchive.com
Bob,
IIRC, there is also one brief instance of reverse 3-D in this title. It's a very short shot of the banks of the lagoon. I'm curious to see if Universal caught and fixed it.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
That's true but when properly aligned, the images should display no ghosting or at the very least, a slight amount if there is a case of extreme parallax combined with distinct contrast differences.
If the convergence has been incorrectly tampered with on the film, that will produce ghosting that was not present in the original 35mm materials.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Yes, James, when they are traveling up the Amazon. That should have been fixed as well.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
HDvision said:
Not tonight, this will be 2D only, but this week-end, I will drop at a friends place for the 3D watch. Then I will have to return the disc to Universal :(
Also got Vertigo, and E.T :)
Can't wait to hear a review of Creature 3D.
Hope Universal fixed the beginning of Vertigo. The picture should be B&W until about the appearance of the title.

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Just watched the documentary. You look great Bob! Will not watch the film in 2D, I'm scheduling a 3D presentation at a friends place this week-end. I'll bring the chainsaw. He'll bring the beer!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks, but I'm a bit older and heavier now. That was done many moons ago.
It's ironic, I'm in the documentary and recently provided important 1.85:1 aspect ratio documentation to the studio (all gratis) they still won't send me a complimentary copy!

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Tell me about it. It comes from being a nice guy and helping when they send out an SOS.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Sorry, Bob. :( Maybe this will cheer you:
b9e6bf8b_CreatureFromTheBlackLegume.jpeg

rsmithjr

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert Smith
I have a personal interest in Creature.
Richard Carlson was my cousin. He played in many 50's sci-fi films, often as a scientist. I always enjoy watching him.
I have seen this once in two-projector 35mm 3D and am awaiting the Blu-ray.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
If you have any clout with Universal see if you can persuade them to release FOUR GUNS TO THE BORDER (1954). Your cousin directs this unusual and adult B western. Unusual and adult for reasons that have to do with Richard Carlson's direction. One of the most interesting westerns of the period.
FourGunsToTheBorder1954-Universal.jpg

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Thanks James, I'm not hurt, just disappointed.
Robert, I have always enjoyed Richard Carlson's work, especially RIDERS TO THE STARS, which he also directed. He was always interesting to watch on screen.
I restored dual-strip 35mm 3-D prints of THE MAZE and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, two of my favorites.
758c9722_Maze2-1.37.jpgweb.jpeg

DVDvision

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Yes, figured, the documentary is 4/3! Complimentary copies always are a hassle to get. This one I got is a review numbered test press, and I'm to return it next week. They probably only have a handful.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Bob Furmanek said:
Thanks James, I'm not hurt, just disappointed.
Robert, I have always enjoyed Richard Carlson's work, especially RIDERS TO THE STARS, which he also directed. He was always interesting to watch on screen.
I restored dual-strip 35mm 3-D prints of THE MAZE and IT CAME FROM OUTER SPACE, two of my favorites.
758c9722_Maze2-1.37.jpgweb.jpeg
Ah, The Maze, one of the weirdest films I've ever seen. Just think, a good looking 3D Blu of that, but I'd be happy with a good looking 2D DVD of that elusive film. In a way I was disappointed that Creature was included in the box (they could have replaced it with The Son Of Frankenstein), as I'd much rather a Jack Arnold Blu-ray box. Hopefully that will be coming sometime, & I'm sure no one will mind double dipping on Creature.

JamesNelson

Second Unit
Real Name
James Nelson
Bob Furmanek said:
Thanks James, I'm not hurt, just disappointed...
I don't blame you. I'm sure you could have provided much more technical insight other than just the correct aspect ratio.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
Well, it's the same old story. Rather than bringing in someone VERY familiar with the film and the 3-D process as well as the issues that would need fixing, they hire consultants who re-invent the wheel. This kind of stuff happened to the late Dan Symmes all the time.
I handled 35mm left/right materials on the film back in the 1990's and could have done this work with both hands tied behind my back. And it's not that I didn't try. I reached out several times over the past decade and said, if you ever do 3-D work on CREATURE, I'm ready.
It's funny, their paid consultant had to inquire if 1.37:1 was the correct ratio! That's when I got the SOS to provide accurate data.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/90#post_3968907
Well, it's the same old story. Rather than bringing in someone VERY familiar with the film and the 3-D process as well as the issues that would need fixing, they hire consultants who re-invent the wheel. This kind of stuff happened to the late Dan Symmes all the time.
I handled 35mm left/right materials on the film back in the 1990's and could have done this work with both hands tied behind my back. And it's not that I didn't try. I reached out several times over the past decade and said, if you ever do 3-D work on CREATURE, I'm ready.
It's funny, their paid consultant had to inquire if 1.37:1 was the correct ratio! That's when I got the SOS to provide accurate data.

I sure hope they did a great job on the blu ray release although what you say above doesn't fill me with total confidence, can i ask you about It Came From Outer Space, do you think it will see a 3D release on blu ray in the near future, i understand you worked on restoring that one as mentioned in an earlier post.

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
I worked on a dual-strip print years ago but have not handled the elements. It should be fine and they do have the original three channel stereo sound as well.
So far as a Blu-ray release, your guess is as good as mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks