What's new

3D Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D (1954) (4 Viewers)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
And is that planned to be an exclusive for a certain amount of time, like Avatar with Panasonic, eventually to go into general release?

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I have no information that suggests it will be like AVATAR at all. In fact, it seems likely that PS3 download may be the only way to get this classic 3D movie.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Todd J Moore said:
Again, had Sony released more classics, I would have bought a PS3 and already downloaded them. But all this time and only MM and Pardon My Backfire. Rats.
(Well, they did have "Spooks" but it disappeared after a while, along with all the 3Net episodes of "The Qube", and the Film Board of Canada shorts.)
It seems doubtful that MM will get a 3D Blu release at this point since WHV is releasing it in 2D MOD through the Archive. Which stinks, because I would totally buy it...even at $30 or $40. What I do not want is to buy a PS3 to download one movie and one short.
Well, get it for the Blu3D player, the streaming Netflix/Vudu apps, and the 3D Playstation games, then. :D

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Todd J Moore said:
I have no information that suggests it will be like AVATAR at all. In fact, it seems likely that PS3 download may be the only way to get this classic 3D movie.
Which movie are you talking about?

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Brandon Conway said:
Bravo Universal for including Creature in 3D on the box set, which were NOT the expectations. :tu:
I'll thank them as soon as I see that they're giving us the correct aspect ratio.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
some where a small part of hell just froze over, this is the biggest surprise that Uni could have done, this is going to be a classic 3D run, Hitch and Creature, makes me whis Fox was doing Gorilla at Large!

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/30#post_3943013
I'll thank them as soon as I see that they're giving us the correct aspect ratio.

Which should be 2.00:1, correct? What where the DVDs?

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/30#post_3943017
1.37:1.

Ouch.

Well, unlike Johnny Guitar, this one at least appears to be well known around the internet as being 2.00:1, from imdb.com to blu-ray.com's listing. One has to think Universal knows this by now, no?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
The early black and white widescreen films from Universal were marked for 1.85:1. According to Exhibitor, that's the ratio for CREATURE.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/30#post_3943083
The early black and white widescreen films from Universal were marked for 1.85:1. According to Exhibitor, that's the ratio for CREATURE.

Ah. Well, here's hoping Universal gets it right!

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
Bob Furmanek said:
CREATURE has not been seen in widescreen since the original theatrical release.
It's high time to correct this oversight, Universal!
I don't know if anyone over there is paying enough attention, but at least we have a 16:9 video format in our favor- we may finally get a proper release inadvertently.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by Bob Furmanek /t/321783/creature-from-the-black-lagoon-3d-1954/30#post_3943128
CREATURE has not been seen in widescreen since the original theatrical release.

But why is that? Or have we already been down this road, and I need to pay attention? (Feel free to just point me to a link.)

I guess the question is: Why is that, with regard to not only Creature, but Dial M, and probably more? Oh yeah, Hondo. Is it somehow related to them having been 3D?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
It has nothing to do with 3-D. It's the fact that they are protected for 1.37:1 and that's how TV, repertory screenings and home video has released them. Other than theatrical, we lived in a 4x3 world for many years.
So far as repertory, nobody did their homework.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Bob Furmanek said:
It has nothing to do with 3-D. It's the fact that they are protected for 1.37:1 and that's how TV, repertory screenings and home video has released them. Other than theatrical, we lived in a 4x3 world for many years.
So far as repertory, nobody did their homework.
Yes, I saw Dial M for Murder in dual-projection 3D at the Film Forum in NYC years ago and it was 1.33:1. It looked fine to me at the time. For home use I would like it to fill my TV screen so 1.85:1 would be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks