Creators ongoing control of content

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Barrett, Jun 19, 2002.

1. Patrick Barrett

Patrick Barrett Auditioning

I'm really torn on this because I really respect an artists creative control, but some examples of my favourite movies are really bugging me.

First off, we have star wars, can't find the link right now, but I've read on a few sites that George said the originals will never see the light of day on dvd. I, for one, don't mind at all an artist adding/tweaking a previous work, but if I prefer, I should always be able to have access to the originals. I actually like some of the stuff added to star wars, like the end battle sequence (I'm surprised how well the cg ships blend with the models, because I usually prefer models over cg) but I just can't accept the Greedo shooting thing, the horrible Jabba scene, and imho the worst thing of all, the luke scream in esb.

Next, we have blade runner, my favourite sci-fi of all time. But again, Ridley Scott has stated he will never release the original on dvd and he's not done tweaking the director's cut. I know, I know, most people seem to prefer the director's cut, but I've known the original for over 10 years before the director's cut and loved the film as is. I never knew anyone who said great movie, but what's with those voice overs? But since the director's cut, there are tonnes of people who say that. Regardless of which you prefer, I think we should have a choice.

Look at E.T. At first I thought, 'Here we go again...', but Speilburg has released both on dvd. Another example is Lord of the Rings. We all know of the 4 hour version coming out, and I think thats cool and all, but I'm glad to know that if I end up preferring the original theatrical version, it will be there. I know many purists are itching to see more of the book in the movie, but what happens if in the end it actually hurts the film, and we were left with no choice.

The funny thing is, when I was talking with a friend about lord of the rings, he was pissed that there was going to be the original and he just wanted the special edition. In his opinion, the studio was just 'milking it for all its worth'. How can someone be pissed off about choice?! Especially without even knowing if he'll actually prefer the new version.

To extend this thought, imagine Tolkien was still alive and decided that he didn't really like a section of the book and had it forever stricken from future prints. I think many people would be freaking out and screaming. Or how about a great artist, changing a famous work? Granted, in the world of art, the artist is usually long dead by the time his/her work is appreciated, but just to further convey a point.

In the end, movies are an artform, (I know a lot of movies do not deserve that description) but not only are they are art, they become a part of our culture and our history and it saddens me to have them modified some 20 years after the works were originally created.

Btw, has George ever discussed in an interview the Greedo and the luke screaming changes. He always says that there were things he couldn't do back then due to technology. But it's obvious to me that he doesn't want to show 'bad things' to children like someone shooting someone and making light of it or someone accepting their death implying that suicide is ok.

Ok, I've ranted enough, any thoughts on this?

2. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    I'm not a huge fan of director's tweaking, modifying or generally mucking about with their back catalogue either.
    I would be just as happy if there were no special editions of the Star Wars Trilogy, ET, Close Encounters, Blade Runner, Star Trek TMP etc etc.
    And in some cases you'll have a hard time convincing me that the directors were genuinely trying to 'improve' their old classics or more likely milking every last dollar from past successes.
    How many times did Hitchcock go back and tweak his thrillers?
    Sad thing is will the original cinema versions of many of these 'special editions' exist in 50 years time. Does anyone even care?[​IMG]

3. Brian Kissinger

Brian Kissinger Screenwriter

I'm in the same boat here. If a director wants to go back and redo something, then by all means I have no problem with it. However, I do feel that the original should be available as well.

I don't think the director shouldn't be allowed to "tweak" or change something. It is after all his/her work. I think a good example in print would be Stephen King's The Stand. The "original" wasn't exactly all of the book. He had to cut parts of it to get it published. He decided he wanted to go back and publish it the way he originally wrote it. Cool. No problem. But what he did also, was try to update it. Presumably for a new generation. In my opinion that hurt the book. I enjoy the original more. Alas, there were parts that he was originally forced to cut, that I enjoyed as well. The solution? Print both. I think the same should hold true of movies.

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    The filmmakers ALWAYS have final say for a movie.

It doesn't matter if Vittoro Sttorro wants AN-R shown at 2:1 on television, it doesn't matter if Richard Donner wants Superman to be shown in his intended cut, it doesn't matter if George Lucas wants the SW trilogy shown in the versions he intends to be shown.

IMO, the intended version of a movie is just as vital as the intended aspect ratio.

5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Why not release all versions of a movie on the same DVD?

The thing is, some director's make films under horrible conditions and with budgets lower than what they wanted. Lucas probably wanted great things for Episode IV, but being that he didn't have the ability to have those things, so he went back and added them. Is there anything wrong with fulfilling all of his original vision? No, so long as he doesn't get rid of what was there to begin with.

6. cafink

cafink Producer

Carl Fink

7. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer