Creative wiring

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bill Bradstreet, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Just thought some of you might get a kick out of how I managed to get the most out of old equipment.

Let me start by saying I LOVE my DSP-A3090, but it is getting a little old. It doesn't have enough inputs for all my digital sources.

The 3090 has a coax input for a CD player and optical for a whole bunch of sources.

I started out by plugging in my CD player into the optical, which has worked for a few years. Then I got a DVD player. I was able to plug it into the optical for DVD and all was right in the world. THEN, I upgraded my cable to a digital box just before xmas.

I quickly found out that the signal using the standard cable from the outlet was aweful...no bass. So, I figured I'd try the digital signal, BUT the only place I could plug it in was in the CD player slot.

So, I plugged in the coax out to the coax in and got an amazing signal. I was psyched! Then I turned to an analog cable channel...no sound! Bummer!!

All told, I now have the CD player plugged into the optical input and the cable box plugged into the coax input AND the good ol' fashioned RCA plugs. All is right in the world once again.

This all works because the the 3090 does auto-sensing turning on the appropriate input based on a hierarchy (digital above analog). I leave the CD player off when watching TV...that's the only compromise.

Yeah, I could have moved the CD player to a different device, but that would have meant my wife would have to figure that one out...not happening.

All this works, but I think I'll be upgrading pretty soon. :-D

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Bill,
    I love my DSP-A3090, too. It does everything I need; I don’t have plans to upgrade anytime soon.
    I remember the tests in Audio and Stereo Review when the 3090 first came out. They noted the lack of coaxial digital inputs, but said it shouldn’t be a bid deal since the digital world seemed to be migrating towards optical digital connections.
    Well, that hasn’t necessarily been the case, as we all know. While many (if not most) satellite receivers have optical outputs, most digital cable boxes have only coaxial. I’ve had to be careful to make sure any digital gear I’ve picked up has an optical output.
    I know Parts Express sells optical-to-coaxial converters. You might check, maybe they sell coaxial-to-optical converters, too. That would solve your problem.
    If not, what you might do is plug the CD player into the LD input. Maybe the wife will be able to deal with that, since one of the initials is right. [​IMG]
    Also, for your digital cable box, go ahead and plug the analog audio outs into the CD player’s analog input jacks. Then you will be able to get audio when tuning an analog cable channel.
    Happy Holidays,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Bill Bradstreet

Wayne, yup, have the cable box plugged into the analog and optical inputs on the receiver. This has been working. I'm kind of liking how the receiver can automagically switch between the CD player and the cable box for me, so I'm going to leave it as is. Also, we don't have many CD's in the house right now. They are in storage while we attempt to sell our townhouse and buy a real house.

I'm going to have two listening areas in the new house. One will be mostly music and the other will be mostly TV & movies. So, I'm going to have to upgrade to two units. I'm thinking about the 950 from Outlaw for the music room and a new Yamaha for the movie room. I love the DSPs and the front effect channels for movies. Since I haven't seen the back side of either the 950 or the replacement for the RX-V3000, I can only guess these will work for me.

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

5. Bill Bradstreet

The 3090 is a great unit and will probably remain in the house somewhere (or I'll give it to my parents). It does not allow me to play DTS-CDs, nor does it have 5.1 inputs. Those are just a few reasons for the step up (of course, the upgrade bug isn't one of them!).

The zone-2 function is nice, but that's a bit too complex of a set up for the family. I want to keep it simple. I had a zone-2 set up in my current house. I used a 900mhz wireless to transmit the sound to the bedroom upstairs. This worked pretty well.

It might be overkill, but I think the 3090 will take over master bedroom duty. Huge unit for this especially when you throw on a tuner too. :)