Creative speaker stand ideas?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jill_S, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Jill_S

Jill_S Auditioning

My living/dining room is large (30 x 35) with high ceilings and my couch is sort of out in the middle. (I know this isn't ideal, but there's no helping it.) My JBL N24II satellites are supposed to go to either side of the couch, 5-6 feet up. I've looked at speaker stands, but hardly any even go up to 58" and it seems like a light breeze would knock them over when fully extended.

Any creative ideas for speaker placement or speaker stands?

Thanks.

2. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

That's a nice size room! How high is the ceiling? Could you mount them from there?

3. Jill_S

Jill_S Auditioning

The ceiling is about 14ft and there is a beam about 11 ft up. Would that be too high?

4. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    My solution was to get the tallest stands I could find, which wound up being 34" ones, and then placed them on top of modular storage cubes, which added another foot. With the height of the speaker (JBL S26s) that's about another foot. It's kind of unusual looking, but it does the trick.

Here's a photo:

http://home.earthlink.net/~camyee/images/leftsur.jpg

5. CurtisSC

CurtisSC Screenwriter

My surrounds hang from a ceiling beam, and are about 7ft. high. Not optimum, but it seems to work well.

Maybe something can be constructed to hang them lower from your ceiling?

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Actually, I think 11' up would work quite well. In my experience I much prefer surrounds mounted up pretty high. Especially if you're using direct radiators. Because of my "wonderful" open floor plan in our house, I ended up using in-wall surrounds. My LR has a 16' high cathedral ceiling where the walls are 10' high and then the cathedral starts from there and goes up another 6'. I ended up mounting my surrounds about 9' high just above the window headers on either side of the room. The high placement gives me a much better sense of spaciousness than I've heard from direct radiators mounted much lower on the walls.

7. Jill_S

Jill_S Auditioning

Thanks for all of your input (and Happy Halloween!) [​IMG]

Brian, I'm kinda new at this. Could you explain "direct radiators"?

Also, if I mounted them from the beam, would I angle them to point down toward the couch?

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jill,

I'm just refering to standard, monopole speakers. In other words, non-dipole/bipole type surrounds. Also, I'd say not to aim them directly at the listening position as that draws more attention to the surrounds. I'd angle them down, but not directly at your ears as you would with front speakers mounted on the wall.

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I agree with Brian. 11ft should not be a problem, but the room size might be for these small speakers. Use the receiver's distance setting and calibrate with an SPL (Sound Pressure Level) meter to take care of the high mounting.

10. Ben

Ben Auditioning

partsexpress is selling a pro speaker tripod which extends
    to 5-6', looks very sturdy.

11. PhilBoy

PhilBoy Second Unit

How about two of those garden neo-Roman pillars ?

5 foot step ladder ?

One thought I had for an earthy decor would be place them in a woven plant hanger suspended from the ceiling... it would be acoustically transparent.

12. Jill_S

Jill_S Auditioning

You guys are great! The ideas are much appreciated. A couple of ideas that have occurred to me since I posted:

Putting a long buffet table behind the couch with shorter speaker stands on it.

Putting an etage (tall, narrow open shelving unit) to either side of the couch with speakers on top shelf.

Use a rope and pulley system to hang speaker from ceiling or beam. Could either go modern with metal cable or more rustic with old wooden pulley and rope.

Keep the ideas coming. (I've got time since I don't even have a receiver yet! Or for that matter any living room furniture -- the room is a new addition and I've been holding off buying stuff until it was done.)

Jill