Creative NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB Audio Player

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by John_Graz, Apr 2, 2004.

1. John_Graz

John_Graz Stunt Coordinator

Jan 2, 2004
    After much research on portable MP3 players with hard drives; yesterday I decided on the "Creative NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB Audio Player" for $ 269.00 from Circuit City.

So far, after ripping 15 CDs in 2 nights it works flawlessly. The Media Source Organizer software that comes with it is a all-in-one ripper, playlist maker and even looks up the CD on the web and gets the tag info !

The ripping process is very fast - 10 minutes per CD to PC hard drive and 5 minutes to mp3 player !

While doing research i found the biggest complaint with mp3's with hard drives was freezing and skipping. That complaint was with the RCA models. The reviews on the Creative NOMAD Jukebox Zen Xtra 30GB Audio Player was almost all very positive. To play it safe I got the 2 year extened warranty. But mine plays great and the sound quality is crisp and clear not flat or too bassy.

Some accessories I still need is a good FM tranmitter for the car. The cassite adapter hisses too much.

And a spare battery; although today I played it for almost 5 hours and the battery indicator didn't budge !

So far (2 day honeymoon phase)I highly recommend this mp3 player !
  2. BenK

BenK Stunt Coordinator

Aug 27, 2002
    I've got an iPod mini and it does freeze up on occasion which is pretty annoying. I didnt know other harddrive based players had that problem. The first one I got froze alot more. I guess its a pretty common problem for the iPod minis the more I read about it. Hopefully Apple will come out with some sort of update for it. Other than that I think its an excellent player and I use it daily.

You might want to look into some sort of hard wire to play it in your car as the FM transmitter wont sound very good. I have an external "mp3" jack on the face of my car stereo head unit which I plug into the headphone jack of my iPod with a stereo mini plug. It sounds fantastic. I also use a mini plug "Y" rca cable to play it on my home stereo. Sounds even better.