What's new

Creative Labs Inspire 2.1 Speakers (1 Viewer)

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I recently needed to by a new pair of speakers for use with my PC. I had pretty much resigned my self to the fact that most PC speakers were going to be crap, so I set out to not spend more than $50 (hopefully less) for a pair of powered speakers.

This week at Best Buy they had the Creative Labs Inspire 2.1 sub/sat system, normally $49, but with a $20 rebate. Without ever hearing them, I said what the hell, if they suck, they're going back. Hey, the box was heavy, that has to count for something, right?

All I can say is what a pleasant surprise. These things sound great for their intended use. They are listed as having 60 watts of power, and while I am sure thats specmanship, these things can be cranked cleanly to levels that you would find pretty damn loud in a near field environment.

There is even a neat wired remote for quick volume adjustments.

I have not run test tones to see how low or high they really go, but I would guess there is probably a mid bass boost to give the allusion of real deep bass. And the highs are not all that crisp, but the overall sound is very smooth. What ever the case, with pop/rock CD's they sound great.

Paired with a CD walkman, these would make a great, dirt cheap system.

Disclaimer: I do not work for, nor do I know anyone that works for Creative Labs. I just found these things very good for the ridiculously low price of $29.

One more point: My current desktop radio is a Bose Acoustic Wave (don't give me any crap, it was free!). These speakers, a less than 1/10th the price absolutely KILL the Bose. They play louder, cleaner, and have better bass. I think the Bose is headed to e-bay. Hopefully, I can get my $29 for it:D

BGL

VinhT

Second Unit
I used the first generation Inspire 2.1 set as computer speakers during my junior year. Decent, inoffensive sound.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I used the first generation Inspire 2.1 set as computer speakers during my junior year. Decent, inoffensive sound.
Well said.

Its not going to give the guys at B&W anything to worry about, but it truley is inoffensive. Perhaps committing sins of ommission rather than commission.

BGL

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
For that price they are ok, and while I agree in that PC speakers are not good for music listening there are significant differences among them.

For example, regarding Creative the Inspires are their entry level speakers, their Megaworks line is far better. I don't know if they perform ten times better (because the price difference is about that) but they are certainly better if anyone wants a little more quality from a computer.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
For example, regarding Creative the Inspires are their entry level speakers, their Megaworks line is far better. I don't know if they perform ten times better (because the price difference is about that)
Fair enough. I guess the point of the post was that, for $29, they kill a $350 radio I have right next to them.

I am definitely NOT a hard core PC listener (although I do spend 8 hours a day chained to a PC), I am not a gamer, and I don't do much with MP3. I can't fathom spending $290 for PC speakers, but I can understand how some would easily be able to justify that.

For me, I just needed some garden variety speakers, and was pretty jazzed that for less than the cost some garden variety cables, I got a powered combo that sounded pretty good.

I think they also had a 5.1 set based on the same speakers that was maybe $79.

BGL

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I've never been satisfied with any computer speaker I've tried. I have my treadmill in my home office, so I like loud, clean sound to run to. After spending almost a year auditioning various 2.1 setups--including the Creative Labs set--I went with an inexpensive stereo receiver (Onkyo, connected to my PC's soundcard) and an open-box pair of JBL S38IIs.

What a difference. Yeah, the setup cost me about $300, but you can find computer speakers more expensive than that, and the sound isn't even close. My MP3s sound much more than decent now.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Nothing can replace the size of the driver. Problem with computer speakers is compromising this size to fit on the reduced desk space. Still, there are few options that make decent sound (again, for the size of the speakers). I don't listen to music on my computer, but I do play computer games, so it is important to have at least four speakers for surround gaming. The experience for games is much nicer than to have only a 2.1 set.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
"Hopefully, I can get my $29 for it" SOLD .. to me?????
The wife says I can't sell it, but just for yucks, I looked at E-Bay to see what they are going for. Amazingly, there are actually completed auctions that closed at over $400 for a non-CD wave radio!

Am I missing something here, or is it patently insane to pay more than list price for something that is USED, but can be bought NEW from the manufacturuer?

I guess its good to know if I DO decide to sell. But why can't I ever have that problem when I am SELLING something on E-Bay?

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks