Creative Labs Can't Be The Only Solution...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kraig Lang, Jan 7, 2003.

1. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Howdy Gang,

So I've gotten my new PC working like a charm, however, I failed to recognize the lack of additional bays to support my Soundblaster Audigy Platinum. I've got the PCI card installed, but I can't install the LiveDrive without removing either the DVD or the CDRW. Sorry, ain't gonna do that.

So here's my dilemma. I've got 4 priorities when it comes to sound, in this order:

1. Home Studio (Recording) (I master with Soundforge and would like to port digitally on to the PC)
    2. Power Gaming (5.1 surround)
    3. Home Audio (discovered the wonderful Nomad Jukebox 3 so now I'm accumulating MP3s)
    4. Home Theater (low priority but nice to have in the studio)

I've looked around and called Creative. They'll be releasing the Audigy 2 Platinum EX in the next 2 months. This will be what I go with if I can't come up with a better solution.

Assuming that budget is not an issue, what's my best bet? Go with an dedicated gaming card and a pro studio card, or just wait for the Audigy 2? Any recommendations on configuration would be greatly appreciated! It seems like Creative pretty much owns the market, but I can't believe that there isn't a better solution. They're too buggy sometimes.

Thanks for your help!!

Kraig

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

You can get the Audigy EX Platinum 1 for a pretty good price, and unless you just need the extra channels, there's not a ton of difference.

Hercules also makes a good card with an external rack, though I think it's been discontinued (not sure about a new model). I think it's called the Game Theater XP.

Although it seems that you'd be able to run your internal Audigy drive to the outside somehow.....Screw it to the top of the PC case or something like that. I guess the limitation there is how long the connecting cable is (I'm not sure since I have the EX drive)

3. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

4. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

The best solution is definately to go with 2 cards... 1 for gaming/5.1 and 1 for pro audio/recording.
    You can find the answers to all your specific question on what's the best for you budget at the forums over at www.homerecording.com
    click on the BBS link to get to the forum
    Enjoy.

5. Kraig Lang

Kraig Lang Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Guys,

I was wondering whether I should pick up a Audigy 1 EX. If it's still available, Amazon had it for $169.

I thought about mounting the drive outside of the box, but I wasn't sure about cooling...etc.

I'll go over to homerecording.com and see what they recommend. I like the idea of 2 cards, but I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to resolve conflicts.

I'd be more then happy to support Turtlebeach and Hercules if I can get their 2 cards working together.

Kraig

6. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I don't think you'll have a cooling problem if you mount the rack on the outside. The external rack has no cooling, and it's the same components, just not closed in.

Besides, there's a much bigger temperature problem on the inside of the case than the outside.

Too, the only difference in the two cards is that one rack is enclosed for exterior use and the other is designed to use a 5" bay.

BTW, I got the EX card from buy.com for $149 shipped a couple of months ago. Great card.

7. Dave Sabo

Dave Sabo Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up an Audigy 2 Platinum at a local computer show for $159 plus tax. My buddy got the non-Platinum version for $108. Both are great for sound out and gaming.
    If you're gonna go the 2 card route, skip the Platinum as you'll be using the other card for your studio stuff. As a note, they are not very big on Creative Labs cards over at homerecording.com, but I'm a gamer first... so I had to have it.
    And if you again go with 2 cards... First instal the pro-audio card, then install your Audigy, Turtle Beach or whatever you end up with... the consumer soudn cards will do a much better job reassigning hardware address. If you install in that order you shouldn't have any trouble.

8. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Actually, the Audigy Platinum card is great for semi-serious recording. I do a butt-load of analog audio and video input and the Creative card works like a charm.
    It also gives you a firewire input to boot. That can be a bit picky, depending on what type of DV converter you're using, but it will work once you figure out the way it wants you to do things.

Audio input works wonderfully....I use it to transfer tape to CD and it's the best thing I've found so far (within a reasonable price). Plus being able to connect a switch box to the RCA inputs makes multiple devices a snap.

9. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    I just got an Audigy Platinum, but I read somewhere on the web and have confirmed that the drivers (?) do something to digital signals: My DVD drive is connected with an SP/DIF cable to the soundcard, and I use the digital output to give out the card's signal to my HT receiver.

Now you would think that playing CDs with this setup would result in a pure digital connection, right? Wrong, as when I put a DTS CD in the drive and it plays, all I get on my receiver is static, it doesn't recognize the signal as DTS anymore.

Does anyone know how to rectify this situation?

-Christian

PS: Sorry for going slightly off topic.

10. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Does the Audigy card even recognize DTS?

12. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit