Creating TRACKS on my custom burnt audio CDs?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Rob Gardiner, Jul 22, 2003.

1. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Hello everybody,

I have a new project. My office will be receiving 911 tapes (on standard cassette). In addition to transcribing (as I have always done) we will also digitize the audio and burn it onto an audio CD for playback in the courtroom.

I want to have the ability to place Track numbers on the disc, probably to correspond to the pages of the transcript. I.E. Track 12 on the CD corresponds to page 12 of my typed transcript. I know it is possible to split the WAV into several smaller WAVs, and when I burn onto CD, each file will be on a separate track. However, this will cause brief pauses between the tracks, which I do not want.
    Is there a way to insert track numbers without also interting pauses? Any help would be appreciated. I enjoy using freeware and open source software, but the boss is willing to spring for a commercial product if necessary. Many thanks.

Also if anyone has any advice on cleaning up poor quality voice recordings, in order to make them sound clearer, please point the way. I have had only limited success with the noise reduction feature of Audacity. Thanks again.

2. JamesHl

JamesHl Supporting Actor

It sometimes varies by the cd player and the burning software you're using, but I've had plenty of success chopping up wav files and putting them on cd without introducing any pauses. Make sure when you burn cds you use the disc-at-once method.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Rob,

You could use an app like CD Architect which allows you to take a long wav file and place track markers as flags in the timeline (Nero also offers a crude version of this).

You can break up the tracks as you said- just make sure that the track pasue is set to zero (on most apps this means selecting all the tracks, right clicking and choosing properties). Most apps I've seen default to a pause between tracks, but it's not required.

-Vince

4. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Thanks for the tips.

James,

I'd forgotten all about Disc-At-Once mode. I've burned hundreds of data CD-ROMs but very few audio discs, so I'm kind of rusty.

Vince,

I DID NOT KNOW THAT NERO HAD THAT FUNCTION! I will experiment a bit, but it looks like that is exactly what I am looking for. A "crude" version will probably do just fine, this doesn't have to be accurate to the millisecond.

In any case, I'm sure one of these two solutions will work for me. Thanks again!

5. Jacques C

Jacques C Stunt Coordinator

Remember that the first track has to have a pause to it - this is the pause before any audio starts. If you use Nero (sounds like you do), select tracks 2-whatever, right click to get to properties, and set the pause to 0. That will give you seamless tracks for the whole CD.