What's new

Creating the best Audio/Video Gear, i need help please (1 Viewer)

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
Okay, where do i start. Going through many cheap options in a dacade, i have saved $7k for the best audio systems. I need to upgrade everything.
At the moment, I only have a Sony 60 CD changer & cassette player which was about $400.00 in 2002, Latest computer, and a Sony Bravia Projector. What i need is, a new receiver, new speakers, and possible new projector. I have saved about $7500.00 to purchase all items and i am really in a confusion what to purchase.

I don't want LCD TV, but can replace Projector if needed. I don't have a channel, gaming option and am not interested getting that either. Just watching movies from DVD and listening to classical music will do for me.

What are my best options to get my self hooked in the best possible gear?

Will the 3k or 4k series Denon receiver do?

Should i purchase speakers from Bose, Sony or Harman Kardon? What type? i have 15 x 20 Living room only.

I play DVD from my computer which i hook up with the projector, do i need a better DVD player?

I want to spend upto 2k in receiver, 1k in speakers, 2.5-3k in Projector and may be 1k in upgrading Dvd or CD systems if needed...

To make a decision is very difficult with my knowledge of technology and nature. I am not interested in getting a huge tv, cable channel or dish channel, XM radio, gaming options at all. Just the basic HD DVD and music will do; but in that i want the best out of best...

Any help will doo.. please...

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Hi,

Just a few random thoughts.... Others will add more to this I'm sure.

Speaker preference is very personal. I suggest to go listen to as many different speakers and possible. I can tell you that with your budget, BOSE, Sony, and HK are not ones you should be looking at. Find dealers that carry B&W, Polk, Focal, Mirage, and others. Also look at internet direct vendors like Axiom and SVS.

You should budget more for speakers than the receiver. If you purchase right the first time, your speakers should last a very long time. The receiver technology changes often. Spend a bit more for the subwoofer (SVS is highly recommended - love mine).

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
If it was me with that much money, here is what I'd do........
For speakers:
MTS-01 Full size 5.1 channel system with matching PB13-Ultra subwoofer $4099. Add an MBS-01 speaker pair to any package for a savings of $100 to make it 7.1! $849. SVSound - MTS Family of Speakers
I like the Rosenut color, personally.

For the receiver:
I recently got the Onkyo TX-SR805, which is nice, but I think the Denon AVR-3808ci is a little nicer. I just couldn't afford it.........$1299.97
Amazon.com: Denon AVR-3808CI 7.1-Channel/5.1-+ 2-Channel Multisource/Multizone A/V Home Theater Receiver with Networking (Black): Audio & Video

For Blu ray player:
I like the Sony players. The BDP-S350 is the one I want. $269.17
Amazon.com: Sony BDP-S350 1080p Blu-ray Disc Player: Audio & Video

That totals up to $6517.14
Add two pair of stands for the speakers ($220), and the total comes to $6737.14. That leaves some for cables and some blu ray movies.

You and others may not agree with me, but that's what I'd do, in your situation. Then I'd save some more, and get a Samsung 67" LED DLP tv, for regular tv viewing, and save the projector for movies, concerts, and football games. :D
Good luck with whatever you get.

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
Okay, wow, I am so thankful for everyone’s reply here; it represents deep passion for technology and a profound choice of perfection. I had never thought that I would make such a great decession. All my friends bought junk and I thought that all was great. Now I know what to go for.
So here is what I will do now…
1)I will just keep my Sony Projector
2)I will purchase the Sony BDP-S550 1080p Blu-ray Player which is $330.00
Or should I go for the BDP-S330, is there a great difference?

3)I will purchase this receiver Denon AVR-3808CI 7.1-Channel/5.1-+ 2-Channel Multisource/Multizone A/V Home Theater Receiver with Networking

4)Now with this knowledge, I am convinced to spend most for the speaker and go for SVS. However, I’m like those New Yorker, I have a small apartment and don’t want to fill with 5 big speakers and a sub woofer. So I am confused again what to do. Is it really possible to obtain a high sound quality with 2 speakers, 1 center speaker and 1 subwoofer?

I also want to settle for a very good piece this time as I know that I will not be able to afford such shopping any time in future soon; therefore, is the quality of 3 speakers and a subwoofer is not sufficient, I will settle down with the MBS-01 Compact 5.1 channel bookshelf system with PC-Ultra subwoofer*

Again, many thanks for all your help, it will be a lifetime purchase for me and your advise and opions are just simply priceless…

Urjo.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Definitely spend more on speakers and less on the receiver. You can get the Onkyo 806 from onecall.com for a great price. In your price range, I am a big fan of Vandersteen speakers, if you don't mind floorstanders. I agree with the SVS Ultra, or at least a Plus Cylinder. And, yes, you can get very nice results with a 3.1 system. You'll just lose a lot of depth in the surround.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
A 3.1 system is fine, if that's what you want. But, to me, I like to hear a car or spaceship behind me, coming towards me, and then go by me, and keep going away from me. A 3.1 system won't submerse you in the movie, like a 5.1/7.1 system will. I love it! I, personally, couldn't go with 3.1, and be happy. But that's just me. If you can, more power to you.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

With those SVS speakers, the rear speakers aren't big. They are a nice sized bookshelf speaker, but not what you'd call big. They can be set on a bookshelf or table, or even be mounted on the wall, instead of using stands. Those ways will keep them out of the way, and not "fill up" the apartment. Just ideas in my head at the moment.

Not familiar with the BDP-S330. Did you mean the S350? The S350 and the S550 are basically the same player, except the 550 has the 7.1 analog outputs. It's meant more for people with older receivers, without HDMI inputs, but do have the 5.1/7.1 analog inputs. Since you're getting a receiver that can decode the HD audio formats over HDMI, the S350 would probably be your best choice. Since it doesn't have the analog outputs, it's a little cheaper too.

As for apartment living, it's the subwoofer the neighbors aren't going to like. That's probably the only piece they will hear or feel. You can tell them it won't be a problem after a certain time of night. Most receivers have a "Midnight" mode, that will lower the sub's output, so it doesn't bother neighbors. Invite the neighbors over to enjoy a movie with you. They'll be less trouble to you in the future, unless they start bugging you to help them buy a good system. :D

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
OKay I ordered the Denon AVR-3808ci & Sony BDP-S350 Blue Ray Player. Will order the SVS speakers tomorrow. I still can't decide which one to go for.
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

MTS-1 or MBS book shelf.

I prefer the Book Shelf series if they sound as good as MTS. Few people said that considering the 20x12 room i have, i should go for the MBS-01 5.1 Series speakers.

Any more suggestions...

Lets see, where my little brain takes me...

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
That comes down to personal taste, and how you want things to look in your room. I like the floor standing speakers, but I doubt they'll be much different from the bookshelf speakers. Probably using the same drivers. They just have the stands built-in.

You're the one that's gonna be living with them. You pick what you like best. You should be happy with either...........
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

urjo

Grip
Real Name
Urjo
Okay, and today, i have made the final choice and ordered the MBS 5.1 System with PC 12+ Subwoofer. Aahhh, major work done and now can't wait for everything to arrive and set up and get the party going.
htf_images_smilies_drum.gif

I will post another reply/review regarding the entire setup and performance.

Thanks to gene c, David Willow, JohnRice, David Willow, and a very special thanks to Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
You're welcome! I'd love to have those speakers myself. When everything comes in, maybe we can all go over and help you set it up, and party! :D
Enjoy your new toys.........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks