Creating SPL graphs for speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles M Berry, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

Hey Guys (and Gals),

I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, or if there is an answer out there in another thread (I did look...)

I found alot of discussions on graphs for subs and speakers, people trying to get "flat" curves (lol), but I can't seem to find information on HOW people are making these graphs. I have a ratshack SPL meter, and I was wondering if someone could explain HOW this meter is used to create a graph with a PC.

I know how to use excel to make graphs, so I'm not looking for that kind of info, just how I get the recordings from my meter into the PC. Or how I can use any other combination of software/hadware to get accurate and meaningful graphs on my sub and speaker outputs.

Thanks in advance.

2. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

Search for RTA software on the forums, there are plently info. Another way would be to obtain a CD with test tones, there is also info around this on the forums.

I would suggest either ETF5, is cheap and it can be used with the SPL Meter. Another choice is Spectralab, you can download a 30 days demo.

3. Charles M Berry

Charles M Berry Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the advice Manuel.

I did a search for ETF5 and found lots of stuff to read through, thanks. I can't wait to make some pretty graphs of my sub, although I'm kinda scared to see the messy graph the PDR-10 makes.

Is there anyone that you know of to simply hook the RS meter up to my computer through the sound card and record the readings without having to use fancy software?

Also, if I play MP3's stored on my PC through my soundcard and into my receiver then out my speakers, will this mess up the tones at all?

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I think the tones output through a PC are just fine. At least I hope they are because as I used them when I graphed mine. [​IMG] I made an Excel file that allows you to compare 3 graphs and it has some other interesting calculators as well. here
    I took the simplistic approach and tried to tune my room through trial and error as you'll see from the conclusions and graphs I compared. After reading many theories on subwoofers and bass I decided the best" solution is to really take measurements and move the speakers/listeners around.
    The Radio shack meter has an output jack, but I have yet to find a program that can use that and record readings from it by clicking. (Boy, would that be nice)
    BTW, I'm a poor college student too, welcome to the club.