What's new

creating keepcase covers from snappers (1 Viewer)

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Tried to find this in the archives, but the search function wasn't working...
I have a couple of questions about creating keepcase covers from snappers.
1) What's the prefered scanning resolution? (want to be able to read the fine print)
2) What's the prefered scaling factor? (I've heard 97%-98%)
3) What dpi must a printer have in order to get great looking covers?
4) What type and size paper should be used?
5) If I bring a CD full of scans, will Kinkos print them out for me? Hhow much would that cost?
6) Has anyone successfully gone through this process and been thoroughly please with the results? Or do they look "homemade"?
Thanks for any info!

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor
Ok, let me try a different approach.
Can anybody point me to some sites that might awswer these questions for me? I remember dvdfile.com had something about it but I can't seem to find it now.
Thanks again.

Robyn Young

Stunt Coordinator
At dvdtalk, the case replacement thread is in the Talk forum, in the "one and only" sticky thread. From there, go to part and you'll find all the links you need.
robyn

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
A while back I posted some cases I found at Walgreens that were $1 each and allowed putting the entire DVD in it's snapper case inside these cases. Thus preserving the orginal artwork and protecting the snapper.
I don't like snappers, but this is a reasonable alternative.

Paul James

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the way I do it.
-remove the snapper from the plastic case so it can be laid flat on the scanner.
-scan the image at 300 or 600 dpi
-copy the front cover area to a new image
-clean up any nicks/scratches, correct color/brightness/contrast etc
-resize and/or crop to 1546 pixels (w) x 2175 pixels (h) for 300dpi, or double that for 600 dpi
-repeat for back, size 1521 x 2175, filling in the area where the 'teeth' were from the snapper case
-for the spine, create a new image 173 x 2175
-copy graphics from spine on scan, resizing to 110%, clean up
-create new image, 3240 x 2175, paste in front, back, and spine images.
It's a long process but I've done about 8 or so of my snappers, you will not get them to look exactly like the 'real' amaray slip covers due to obviously of the limitations of the home printer etc but they look about 90% as good, I also use a double sided full gloss paper about
140gsm.
Paul.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks