What's new

Creating CD images... (1 Viewer)

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
First off, please forgive me if this falls outside of Forum acceptability. It does not deal with bootlegging of any kind.

Second, I am trying to create an image of a cd-r that I have using easy CD creator. The original disc is 700megs and is very close to full. My dilemma is that when I try to make an image(to send to another computer I use) the size of the file is about 820megs and will not fit on to a 700meg disc. Isn't a cd image essentially a "picture" of what's on the cd? Should it not be just under 700megs just like the information on the original cd-r? Can anyone shed some light on to why this is happening?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I'm not exactly sure about the technical details here, but an image (whether it be .iso or bin/cue) will often be a differect size from what's on the actual disc (up to about 900 Mb). I think it might have something to do with the cluster size of FAT 32 compared to CDFS, but I'm not positive. Why not just make a 1:1 copy of the CD, and move it that way?

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
There should be a CD copier function in Adptec. You'll still want it to copy to an image first, and then burn to the new disc, but the 850 Mb image will fit on the blank.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, images are usually bigger than their real CD counterparts... Make sure you set it to RAW read, so it reads the CD bit for bit...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Hmm, im not to familiar with adaptec's software, i only use Nero and Discjuggler, sorry bout that...

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I could be wrong but if your trying to create an image and then burn a copy of the cd from this image the larger size shouldn't be a concern. The reason I say this is that the buring software simply takes the image file and "uncompresses" it onto a blank cd thereby making a copy. It does not actually copy the image file itself to the blank disk as this would simply be a data disk with a CD image file on it.

Pretty sure about that, but not positive.

-Marshall

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks