Creatine and Carbs

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chad Ferguson, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

These are really two topics I feel but I thought it would be better if I put them in one just to save space on the forum list. My first question will be about Creatine. I think I understand what it does for the most part, my question is can it offer me, a person who is trying to lose weight? I'm not overly overweight, I'm 6' 180 right now but I would like to be around 160 or around that area. Does Creatine offer me anything at this time/stage?

Second thing is I saw these things called carb blockers on Ebay. Now, I'm aware of Flax Seed oil which is a fat blocker if I'm not mistaken and I think it works well. Do these work as well and if so, which brand?
    Thank you

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Flax Seed oil isn't a fat blocker, it's pure fat. 14g per tablespoon I believe. It's healthy fats though, good for you.

3. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Absolutely nothing. Creatine is for individuals who want to gain weight (muscle mass) and works well for that purpose. Unless you want to try and bulk up first, then lose fat later I wouldn't recommend creatine right now.

4. Chris_Morris

Chris_Morris Screenwriter

I disagree. Creatine research has shown it to have more properties than just muscle building.

Not to mention that the more muscle tissue you have, the more calories it will burn. It is possible to gain muscle tissue and lose weight at the same time.

Chris

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

With regards to Creatine and being underweight, I notice weight gain solely attributed to water weight if I don't work out at all. If I DO work out with free weights, I notice the muscles seem a tad bigger and harder, but in my limited experimentation the weight gain from muscle is negligible because I still need to increase my food intake. Either way, you HAVE to drink a lot of water with Creatine to reduce intestinal gas and prevent dehydration.

I'm not taking taking Creatine right now, but I really should! [​IMG]

6. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

ah yes creatine....I cycle it. usually on and off every 6 weeks. When I am taking it, I struggle to fit into my jeans. Creatine infuses muscle tissue with water and helps protein synthesis which is attributed to any noticable weight gain. Creatine also helps some boost energy during workouts.

I must add that if you lift weights for the first time or for the first time in a long while, most people almost always lose up to 5 pounds the first week. I know I sure did when I started working with a trainer 3 years ago. After that, the average individual gains 7 lbs. of muscle per year; it's a very gradual process. So if you want to drop weight, creatine will help you in strength training in those first few weeks. Be sure to drink plenty of water.

7. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

I've got to learn to slow down and take my time while reading these headers... For a second there, I was sure this thread was labelled "Creatine and Crabs."

8. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

I agree with Max. About all Creatine is good for is adding waterweight. From my experience, the only worthwhile 'supplements' useful for losing weight are either illegal (steroids/DNP/clen) or in the process of being made illegal (ephedrine).

9. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

It's been a close to a decade since I dabbled with Creatine.
    I recall it enhanced your muscle's fuel reserves recovery by messing with the Kreb's cycle. (do a Google) Research around that time found it was of little value if your workouts were anything other than of short duration with high intensity.(read, weight training as it should be performed)
    I have heard folks say they use it like they do any other supplement, that is in dose form with their meals. Simply a waste of money.
    It needs to be loaded initially. When I was using it, the prefered method was to stick with the monohydrate form avoiding the numerous other fruity flavoured concoctions on the market. You loaded it by stirring a couple of grams into a large glass of cold water sweetened beforehand by a couple of tablespoons of sugar. This was done 4 or 5 times a day for about a week or so, and on an empty stomach.
    You should see weight increases in the neighbourhood of 7 + pounds or so. If you don't, it didn't load. Once loaded it was cut back to a couple of times a day. On workout days, a hour prior to exercise.
    It has to be cycled since your body gets used to it.
    My first experience was the only time I saw what it claimed to offer. High endurance levels during a workout and incredible levels of muscle pump and fullness.
    I have no doubt it did what was claimed, OTOH, any subsequent times I used it was nothing like the first time for me.

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Creatine can indirectly help you lose body fat. Here's why: For every pound of lean muscle you gain, you'll burn an additional 16 calories per day. Unless you eat more to compensate, you'll lose fat as your body uses the calories in your stored body-fat for energy.

NOTE: A recent survey of creatine users found that 34 percent experienced BOTH a reduction in their body-fat level and an increase in definition or vascularity.3

11. TimGRA

TimGRA Stunt Coordinator

One of the great misconceptions about creatine is that it is a supplement. It is not. Creatine is a transporter. And in particular it helps the body transport protein more efficiently. That is why some people gain weight when they use it and some people will actually lose weight. Those loosing weight have probably cut back their caloric intake and started exersizing. HMMM sounds like a weight loss program to me. Those gaining weight are probably taking in high amounts of protein and working out more than just a treadmill.

12. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Hope this doesn't change too much of what you guys are saying but I think I stated something wrong. I don't need to lose weight as much as I do fat. So will Creatine help me burn/lose fat?

13. Chris_Morris

For the most part they are one in the same, haven't seen too many people who would rather lose muscle tissue over fat tissue [​IMG].

As to your second question, yes, creatine can help you lose weight. Its weight loss potential will be greatly enhanced if taken in conjunction with a high intensity form of exercise (ie: weightlifting, sprinting).

Chris

14. Chris_Morris

One other thing to remember too. Creatine works differently for everyone.

As creatine is naturally produced by the body, some people make more on their own, and supplementation does not work as well for them.

And it seems that African-Americans produce more naturally than Caucasians.

Chris

15. Cary_H

Cary_H Second Unit

Can't dispute what you're saying Chris.
    As you deduced from my post it's been a decade since I paid the subject any mind.
    I know up to a few years ago there was still debate around whether to load, or not load. There's always been debate as to the best way if you did choose to.
    As for getting used to it. Well, that's not really the best term to describe what I meant. Our bodies do produce creatine. Once again, I think it is a byproduct of some process in one part of the Krebs Cycle that is essential at another stage. We use creatine to improve or enhance the loop. I think that over a few weeks of use it stopped being effective so you cycled off it rather than pee an expensive substance down the drain. Now I don't think it was anything along the lines of how beta blockers like Clenbuterol mess with receptor sites rendering extended use pointless, but something goes awry.
    I doubt the past 10 years has been long enough to effect change in our bodies to debunk the Krebs Cycle, though.
    Maybe today Creatine is used in a whole different way than when I first tried it. My own experience told me it did as was claimed. Once loaded, I gained around 7 pounds of something, (not fat, and no way muscle...I'll call it water retention) My workout endurance was tremendous and the pump beyond anything I'd ever seen. On a couple of later attempts I did not get signs of it loading and saw nothing anything like the first time.
    I finally got the message that diet is by far the most important factor to seeing results. Very few know much around how and what they should be eating. They train their brains out and when they don't get results they up their time in the gym, whereas they should be spending more time eating and far less time training.
    I too subscribed to the theory that supplements were the be all end all to results. Only once you have the eating part down pat, though.
    Cheers, Chris

16. Sebastian

Sebastian Second Unit

Why you experience weight gain is water retention in the muscle cells.
    Creatine increases the amount of fluid retained inside your muscle cells-not outside.1 The result? More fluid inside muscle cells makes your muscles feel fuller and gives you a harder, more defined look. (You don't gain fluid outside the muscle cells, which would give your physique a softer, puffy look.) Creatine also enhances your body's ability to make proteins within its muscle fibers by stimulating the uptake of amino acids.2 Your muscle-fiber thickness increases, so you pack on more mass.
    Creatine supplementation can speed your muscle growth by boosting the resynthesis rate of ATP. Your body uses ATP to power intense muscular movement. So you can train your muscles harder and longer-and build lots more muscle in less time.

Edit: Drink at least a gallon of water a day