1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

crazy to buy from crazy eddie?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis P, Sep 23, 2001.

1. Dennis P

Dennis P Auditioning

Crazy Eddie in NJ has the Sony XBRs for significantly lower prices than anybody else. I'm thinking of driving there to buy (not interested in truck monkeys delivering my TV set).
    However, I'm a bit cautious about Crazy Eddie, given their checkered past. Has anyone has experience with the "new" Crazy Eddie? Is it worth it to pay a few hundred bucks extra to instead buy from a local hifi store with a decent reputation?

2. Jason Blaydes

Jason Blaydes Stunt Coordinator

well, i live all the way down in northwest florida (Pensacola, FL), and i ordered from him about two weeks ago. i purchased my toshiba hdtv-ready set from him... the 55h70. i ordered in on Fri. Sept 7th, and told him that i must have it buy the next fri. on the 14th. he said that he would garantee it delivery on that date. well we all know that on the 11th, we were attacked by terrorism... but he was still able to ship out the tv set (it didn't ship out until that day the 11th). the set arrived in perfect condition and i was very satisfied with their customer service, because the day after the attack, i called them about the set and they told me it was shipped out and they gave me the carriers telephone number and the tracking number.
    this is my only experience with them, but they were very nice, did what they said they were gonna do, and i recieved a damage free tv set. anyways, hope that helps, peace [​IMG]

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. Will Pons

Will Pons Auditioning

I noticed at Costco today (Portland, Oregon), the XBR450 36" at $1999. Is Crazy Eddies lower than that?

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Lets say their retail store didn't do that well. It popped up near me at work in NJ and in about a year, it folded and became a "David's Bridal" store and went internet only. Now we all know how fickle internet only stores can be these days so I'd make doubly sure they are authorized dealer and you get a manufacturer's warentee. Hopefully, the new guys running it aren't in jail as the old owner wound up at. Seriously, I'm not entirely sure it would be worth the risk...
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?

6. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Jeez....I had no idea they had such a bad rep....After all...Gomez rated it a Gold store [​IMG]
    I ordered my Denon 3802 from Crazy Eddie....So I know that if the thing craps out on me, I'll be hard pressed to get Denon to accept the warranty..
    But the thing shipped out to me in two days, in perfect condition - Factory sealed, with factory warranty...
    Im just not sure how they're getting stuff so much cheaper..
    -Ryan Dinan
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

7. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

I bought my receiver from them. The guy sounded like a crook, but everything went almost okay (10 days to finally receive it, they had to charge $200 at a time off my debit card)
    ------------------
    Chuck
    http://www.hometheaterinsider.com

8. RyanDinan

RyanDinan Stunt Coordinator

Is the place run by one guy? The man I spoke to sounded like the classic New York thug....Thick accent, deep voice. I was actually kinda scared to ask questions [​IMG]
    But everthing seemed to go okay...
    I do have one question -
    If this guy is obtaining his merchandise through...shady/illegal means, and the authorities catch him, are we as customers affected in any way? Could they charge us for possesion of stollen property? I really dont know how that works...
    -Ryan Dinan
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG]

9. Billy Fogerty

Billy Fogerty Stunt Coordinator

Years back we had alot of Crazy Eddie stores in my area. That was until the owner was locked up for tax evasion and scamming the public. I wouldn't even attemt to buy anything from them. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Billy, the original Eddie Antar wound up in jail:
    http://www-rci.rutgers.edu/~gedajlov...ein/eddie.htm?
    When the new Crazy eddie opened up about 2 years ago, it was supposedly not related to the original Eddie Antar but was like a cousin or something. The retail store folded in about a year and went internet only....
    Jay
    ------------------
    HUGBEES! My Equipment List
    Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
    Wanna help?