Crazy thoughts?!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Rick Westfall, Aug 26, 2003.

1. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

I was reading through some threads and noticed that many of you use a receiver as a pre-amp and add a much better amp for the power. I have a crazy question...

If you have seen my recent posts, I have a H/K AVR65 that has developed a nasty hum in the front three speakers. After spending money for repairs that didn't work I was ready to scrap it. Is it possible to use it as a pre-amp only and plug in to an amp and completely bypass the hum???

Here is the next question...amp recommendations that won't break the bank. Any such monster as a 6 channel amp? I ask because I might need to power my sub with it.

Thanks!!
    Rick

2. DonnyD

DonnyD Screenwriter

Yes there are some 6 channel amos out there but also 2 3 channel amps will do the job. Then again, 3 2 channel amps..... Get on Audiogon and you may find a lot of amps that are available at pretty good prices.
    Lots of optins also.
    Now, bypassing that hum may be a problem. It is all according to where the hum is. Most hums are ground loop problems and most of them will be found in a coax cable such as comes in to a cable receiver or such. Check all the external grounds including outside where your cable may come in. Try a cheater plug to see if it helps the hum but I reccommend that only to diagnose. Using it all the time leaves you without a ground.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I would suggest using a totally separate amp to power a subwoofer (instead of using a 6-channel amp with the intentions of using one of the channels to power the sub).

4. Rick Westfall

Rick Westfall Stunt Coordinator

Just to clarify...the hum is there with nothing but the speakers plugged in.

Thanks for the responses so far!

Rick

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Do you have some sort of clean power hooked up to it? I would try that. Go to a retail chain that carries monster. Now tell them your problem and say "If I go home and hook this up and it doesnt fix the problem, can I bring it back?" They usually will let you. I work at a shop that sells monster.